News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Announcing Speed Dial Selection

Started by drdigital1, April 07, 2011, 09:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdigital1

Is there a way to hear the name I assigned to a speed dial number when I dial it (number#)? Skype "goto" number has such a feature which is useful when you use speed dial based on own's memory.

Thanks,

obi-support2

Have you tried dialing *75 followed by the speed dial number (1-99)?
OBIHAI Support Staff

RonR

Unless I've missed something, the OBi doesn't associate a name with a Speed Dial number.  The OBiTALK configuration facility may, but I don't find any such field in the OBi itself.  Consequently, the OBi isn't aware of a name and can't play it back to you.

drdigital1

Thanks for the 2 comments.

*75. Based on the name i.e.” Speed Dial Read-Back”, I also thought that this would do it but it does not read it when you dial. What it does is that it reads the name but it does NOT dial the number. It's good to remind you what the speed dial is, in case you're not sure. Then, you can dial it, I guess. This is a lot of button-pressing. Skype tells you the name and if you didn't remember correctly you can hang up.

When you set up Speed Dial in ObiTALK portal you can assign names. When a message is left on voice mail from one of these speed dials, you hear “message from ASSIGNED NAME” so I thought/hoped that there might be a way…

RonR

Are you sure this "message from ASSIGNED NAME" isn't coming from your own answering machine and a contact list it maintains?  Again, I may have missed a feature somewhere, but I'm not aware of any voicemail services provided by the OBi, OBiTALK, or Obihai.

drdigital1

RonR, you are right. The name heard with the voice mail message is generated by GV voice mail. It so happened that I assigned the SAME name to a certain number in both Obi Speed Dial and in GV. I made these 2 names different and I can confirm.
The question stays though (even though I am more pessimistic now).

drdigital1

In summary:

If you are not sure about a specific speed dial entry dial *75 and the speed dial number.

Obi will read back the number (but not the name!). Once you're sure, you can use speed dialing.

Maybe Obi should consider a new feature i.e., reading loud the name associated with a speed dial (like Skype does) and if you didn't remember correctly then you can hang up.

lhm.

Enter value in SD3 ie: 18005551212#  Toll Free Info
(# after number is required)
SD Dials out and connects.

*75 3 Will read back number value including name letters.

RonR

Quote from: lhm. on April 12, 2011, 01:53:17 PM
Enter value in SD3 ie: 18005551212#  Toll Free Info
SD Dials out and connects.

*75 3 Will read back number value including name letters.
Why do you say?:

I don't find that to be true.

lhm.

# sign does the  same as S0 in a dial plan, without # call will fail, at least for me it does.

RonR

Quote from: lhm. on April 12, 2011, 04:20:34 PM
# sign does the  same as S0 in a dial plan.
It's not needed in a Speed Dial.

RonR

Quote from: lhm. on April 12, 2011, 04:20:34 PM
# sign does the  same as S0 in a dial plan, without # call will fail, at least for me it does.
Then you've got a problem elsewhere.

lhm.

Are you saying that this "16158624600 Water Co. Info" will in SD "value" without # will connect?

RonR

I didn't realize you were putting invalid syntax into a Speed Dial.  I thought ' Toll Free Info' was just a comment in your posting.

It's probably not a good idea to be making recommendations to use unintended syntax like this.  Yes, it accidentally works at the moment, but it could cause problems in the future.

lhm.

The # sign after a number in SIP dialing is pretty much standard usage to send immediately, bypassing/negating "S" time delays and other default time delays in dial plans and strings. Using it this way in SD negates sending alpha characters and as far as Obi ATA is concerned - number has been sent. Hardly an accident, though most often used from the hand set and often recommended for successful SIP calls. If in doubt, ask Mike Tellis at Sipsorcery.com forums.

RonR

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.   :)

lhm.

Not me.  :)

Edit:
Perhaps this will add to validity,

16158624600#    #Water Co. Info   ;D