News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Capabilities question about the OBi110 and OBi202

Started by VerumSeeker, June 13, 2013, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VerumSeeker

This is probably the newbiest of newbie questions, but I am just getting started and concerned that I am mis-reading the product comparison chart.

I have 5 plain old phones scattered throughout my house right now on my current landline. 

I would like to continue to use these phones (Panasonic KX-TG7645) once I switch to OBi.  However, I am unclear on which OBi models allow that.  It looks like the option is available on the 110, but may not be available on the 202?  (I am looking at the comparison chart here ... http://www.obihai.com/matrix.html ).

My router is a TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Dual Band Wireless N750 Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5GHz 450Mbps, 2 USB port, IP QoS, Wireless On/Off Switch.

My modem is a MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet (RJ-45).

Please advise.

Shale

OBi100 can connect to all 6 phones from its one phone port. The 5 REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) could not ring 5 old-time phones, but it could ring your 6 all at once if some were newer electronic phones. You did not ask about OBi100. It can have up to two service suppliers that are connected digitally.

OBi110 is the same, but can add the ability to hook up to a wireline from the phone company in addition.

OBi202 has two phone ports. So you could have some of your phones wired to phone port 1, and the others to phone port 2. There would be separate ringing, and there could be separate conversations going on at the same time. It can have up to 4 service suppliers that are connected digitally.

VerumSeeker

Thank you for replying back.  My phones are actually newer (purchased last year) so they are plain old phones (meaning that they work on my plain old landline system) but not really truly "old".  :)

I just wasn't sure if the OBi202 would allow me to use my current phones by just unplugging the current existing cord between my modem and the phone jack from the modem and instead plugging the cord from the phone jack into the OBi -- thereby linking all my existing phones to the OBi.  (I do understand that the modem does also have to be plugged in to the OBi).

Can you explain, in a bit more detail, what "ability to hook up to a wireline from the phone company in addition" means.

Again, apologies if this is beyond simple and demonstrates my ignorance for all to see.

dircom

Think of the dial tone as water in a hose.  for Most people in the USA water comes from the City line, or a well.

POTS lines (Plain old telephones) dial tone is carried over a pair of copper wires.  Originally dial tone came from a central office via the telephone pole or buried cable near your house.  Then cable modems came along, and you could get dial tone via a phone port on a cable modem.  In Obi land dial tone comes via a phone jack on the back of the Obi.

If you want all your phones in the house to get the obi signal, you connect your house wiring to the Obi.

If all your phones are connected via a phone jack on a cable modem, then you simply disconnect from the cable modem, and connect to the Obi.

George Bush says there is something called "The Google"  try it out
Here is one thing I found that might help you http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html

Shale

Quote from: VerumSeeker on June 13, 2013, 11:46:58 AM
Thank you for replying back.  My phones are actually newer (purchased last year) so they are plain old phones (meaning that they work on my plain old landline system) but not really truly "old".  :)

I just wasn't sure if the OBi202 would allow me to use my current phones by just unplugging the current existing cord between my modem and the phone jack from the modem and instead plugging the cord from the phone jack into the OBi -- thereby linking all my existing phones to the OBi.  (I do understand that the modem does also have to be plugged in to the OBi).

Most people plug the OBi into the router. Maybe your modem has a built-in router.

To activate your existing house phone jacks,
1. Isolate the house phone wiring from the phone company.
2. Plug the OBi100 Phone port into any existing phone jack. If you don't have a free phone jack, insert one of these to add a jack: This will make all of your existing phones work.

Quote from: VerumSeeker on June 13, 2013, 11:46:58 AM
Can you explain, in a bit more detail, what "ability to hook up to a wireline from the phone company in addition" means.
Maybe I made it complex when I was trying to simplify it. Do you want to continue paying the phone company anything for phone service? I don't. If no, then the OBi110 would not be the device to choose. I got an OBi202. An OBi100 would have met my needs and probably your needs, but the OBi202 gave me more than I needed. If you think you would like to have 2 independent phone lines, OBi202 could be worthwhile for you. You will be saving money which ever way you go.

Rick

That phone is a wireless base with multiple CORDLESS handsets.  That's ONE PHONE to the OBi or anything else.  Plug the base into ANY OBi and all five phones will ring.