News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

how can I judge the quality?

Started by MatthewF, June 17, 2013, 10:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatthewF

I use obi110 with a google voice # for my home office. I spend a lot of time on conference calls (dialing into an 800#). I have been using the obi for over 6 months and things have been going well until recently. Recently, I have been getting complaints from others that my connection is poor.

(In logging into to post this question I saw that my software needed upgrading. Just did that. Maybe it will solve the problem. We'll see. But, regardless, my question is more basic.)

Is there a way for me to monitor how good of a connection I am getting? My difficulty is that to me everything sounds fine whether it is or not. I can hear others fine without any hiccups. But I know that sometimes other people have a hard time hearing me. And I can't tell when that is except by them specifically saying "your connection is bad" which especially on a conference call with a a number of people they don't always do.

I realize the problem may be outside the obi. Still I am hoping this community of experts can give me a tip on how I would pinpoint where the problem is and how to monitor it so that i can figure out when/whether I need to change something.

thanks,

Shale

Quote from: MatthewF on June 17, 2013, 10:33:18 AM
But I know that sometimes other people have a hard time hearing me. And I can't tell when that is except by them specifically saying "your connection is bad" which especially on a conference call with a a number of people they don't always do.

Those people really should be more descriptive. Are snippets of your voice missing (choppy)? Is the volume of your voice too low? If so, see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5235.0  Are they hearing a background noise or static-type noise? Is the problem pretty consistent, or is it occasional? Is your voice raspy, too bassy? Is the audio pinched? Is there a tone or whistle?

How is your internet connection per http://www.pingtest.net/  regarding jitter, packet loss, and "grade"?

Obihai's echo test  can be reached by dialing "**9 222 222 222″. There are other echo tests available that you could dial.

MatthewF

I know the problem is occasional and not consistent.

I checked ping test and I think it looks good. 35ms for ping and 10ms for jitter. I had to use a different site for packet loss but it didn't show any. I also did the echo test and it sounds good. Of course, that is all as I would expect since right now I'm not having any trouble.

(As an aside becuase of the degration in quality I've been using **8 more and that is causing dropped calls which I will post in a separate thread as I think it is a separate issue.)

Shale, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and provide helpful suggestions. let me know if you have any additional advice.

Rick

What else is going on with your home network at the times you have issues?  Our son is home from college and our TV viewing via the home network is having intermittent issues.  At the same time, he's downloading who knows what in huge volume...

MatthewF

Thanks Rick. I don't think there is anything else going on, but I'll check into that next time there is a problem.