News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Should I enable QoS?

Started by jfharper, June 17, 2013, 04:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfharper

For my 202?

Also, what units are the settings in, Kbps?

Shale

There have not been many posts describing doing that or contrasting performance with different settings. From the admin guide,
UpStreamBandwidth:The total upstream bandwidth in Kbps
Default   2048

RestrictedBandwidth: The guaranteed bandwith for Restricted class traffic in Kbps;
Default: 512

jfharper

We are getting very minor cut outs.  Was wondering how to try this.  I'm assuming the obi has to be in front of the router for it to be able to prioritize QoS handling...is this correct?

Shale

Quote from: jfharper on June 19, 2013, 08:28:54 AM
We are getting very minor cut outs.  Was wondering how to try this.  I'm assuming the obi has to be in front of the router for it to be able to prioritize QoS handling...is this correct?

Yes. Because I have a combination router+modem, I can't try that. Fortunately I am not having a problem.

There are various settings described at http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506043

I think this is how I would set thing up initially:

Firewall Enable (= DHCP On Default) in OBi router. DHCP OFF in external router (NOT DEFAULT). This will cause the IP addresses to be passed out by the OBi202. If you can figure out how to do this in your router, post your router model and what the setting was. If you cannot figure this out, post your router model and  somebody may post what setting in your router should do that job.

RouterIPAddress = 192.168.10.1 (Default)  I do not know if that will also be the  OBI web interface. I suspect it is. Dialing ***1 should tell you that address. Let us know if it is 192.168.10.1 or whatever else it is. That number is not sensitive information.

DHCP Reservation -- this is where you reserve an IP for various items that you might choose to always get the same IP address. I would do this for an Internet thermostat, or even my computer. It is normally not necessary, but it can be good to do at times. It will not hurt. I would probably do this for the OBI web interface IF that is different from the router address.

QOS settings. Search the admin guide for "screen shot of the QoS Settings ". See the QoS Settings discussion just before that. If you were going to set this up for one call going on a a time, I would set up RestrictedBandwidth (the bandwidth reserved for the OBi202) to 100, and I would set up the UpstreamBandwidth to be whatever your upstream normally tests to be. Let's say you test at 442,000 Bits/Sec up in the worst of 3 tests. I would put 442 into UpstreamBandwidth. That restricts the non-OBi traffic to 342 Bits/Sec up in my example. I think that is what the text indicates.  If you had two calls going on, or your upstream bandwidth degraded, then there could be some missed packets. It would be nice if the RestrictedBandwidth reservation was only implemented during a call, but since no documentation states that, I presume that the reservation is in place all of the time. On the other hand, I do see the term "borrowing" in the http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htbRestrictedBandwidth may be allocated lower. Please experiment, and report.

The rest of the settings, I would leave at defaults initially. I would like to see discussion of the pros and cons of settings, including your experiences. Then somebody should compile the information into a readable HOWTO thread where the first post in the thread gets modified as new information develops.