News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect any OBi wirelessly

Started by azrobert, June 19, 2013, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrobert

This might be one of my dumber ideas, but you can use a computer with 2 network adapters to connect an OBi wirelessly to your router. I discovered the Bridge function on a Windows PC and I wondered if the OBi would work with this setup. It did.

You can use this setup to turn any wired network device into a wireless device.
I have an old XP notebook that worked perfectly as a bridge.

Windows Setup:

Windows 7
Control Panel
Network Sharing Center
Change Adapter Settings
Click "Organize" and then "Select All"
Right Click on one adapter then select "Bridge Connections"

Windows Vista
Control Panel
Network Sharing Center
Manage Network Connections
Click "Organize" and then "Select All"

Windows XP
Control Panel
Network Connections
Click "Edit" and then "Select All"

In XP the Windows Firewall blocked the connection. If you don't know how to setup the firewall just ask.

Connections:

Connect the wireless adapter to your router.

I believe you connect the OBi to the RJ45 port on the computer with an Ethernet Crossover Cable.
I don't have a crossover cable, so I used a switch. I used standard Ethernet cables to connect the computer and the OBi to a switch.

Connect the OBi to the RJ45 port on the computer with an Ethernet Cable.

That's it. My OBi worked without any configuration changes.

Edit:
An easier method is Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
From the list of adapters:
Right click the wireless adapter
Select properties
Click Sharing tab
Check "Allow other network users....."
Click OK

TrapDoor

I've used wireless bridges successfully for a while and tried this with my XP Asus netbook - everything worked fine. Both normal & crossover cables worked - no switch needed. It's a nice travel package with my OBi100.

azrobert

Quote from: TrapDoor on July 08, 2013, 12:26:57 PM
Both normal & crossover cables worked - no switch needed.

You are correct. A regular Ethernet cable worked.

Everything I read indicated a crossover cable was needed, so I didn't try a regular cable. I guess you can't believe everything you read. LOL

Thanks

giqcass

Crossover cables are recommended for adhoc connections to support legacy devices but most new equipment can negotiate the connection either way.  I did troubleshoot a system a few years ago where an incorrect cable completely shut down a home network.  They had switched a patch cable and a crossover cable.

You may have issues when the computer goes to sleep or when the computer is using a lot of resources.  I have not personally tried this with the OBi but I have used this trick with a PAP2na and it worked well.  When I did it I connected my laptop via wireless.  I had no noticeable lags or distortion of any type however I only used it for minor testing.   I prefer using a wireless router with DDRWRT installed to accomplish this same trick.  They are dirt cheap and more reliable.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Shiblee

I don't have a retailer here for OBi. Can I use regular USB wifi & bluetooth device with OBi200?

drgeoff

Quote from: Shiblee on January 12, 2015, 12:30:05 AM
I don't have a retailer here for OBi. Can I use regular USB wifi & bluetooth device with OBi200?
I'm 99% sure you cannot.  A USB device has Vendor and Product ID codes so that the host device can recognise it and use the appropriate driver.  The Obihai WiFi and BT devices seem to have codes which are unique to Obihai.  Other devices, even with the same basic chips inside don't match.

Usetheforceobiwan

A device like the TP-LINK TL-WR702N http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mpbs/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421070229&sr=8-4&keywords=tp-link+bridge#customerReviews nano router/bridge/AP is your cheapest option for an Obi without built-in wifi capability.  Once you set it up in client mode via a wired connection, connect it to the Ethernet port of your Obi110 and it will connect automatically to your wifi network whenever powered.  It has the side benefit of being a portable router which you can take with you when traveling.    The caveat is that you need another power outlet so for Obi 200 and 300 series devices, the ObiWifi is still the cleanest and economical option.

azrobert

If you have an old router you might be able to convert it to a wireless bridge.
See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0

drgeoff

Put 151407920903 into the search box at ebay.com to see what less than $12 will bring if you can accept the shipping time.

You will find the same item from many suppliers.  They are clones of the Hame A15.  Although described as routers they can be configured as Wi-Fi clients.  (The cellular modem capability is not needed for use with an Obi.)

Power it from an OBi's USB socket (if available), or separate USB supply (not included.)

Usetheforceobiwan

In light of the price of the alternatives, at $20 the ObiWifi looks to be very reasonably priced which is a rarety in locked in accessories.  It really should be built in though and if Obihai could figure out a way to build it in to the current 200 and 300 series products and keep the same price, I think that would be great.

drgeoff

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on January 12, 2015, 11:37:16 AM
In light of the price of the alternatives, at $20 the ObiWifi looks to be very reasonably priced ..
Use the ebay search box again and put 251709847805 into it.  Generic device for less than $6 including shipping from China.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 01:20:40 PM
In light of the price of the alternatives, at $20 the ObiWifi looks to be very reasonably priced ..
Use the ebay search box again and put 251709847805 into it.  Generic device for less than $6 including shipping from China.
Why would you recommend buying a generic WiFi dongle, after pointing out that generic WiFi dongles don't work?

Regarding that other product, it has the typical Chinese eBay seller issue:  inadequate product information.  Have you actually bought one and confirmed that it can act as a WiFi<-->Ethernet bridge?  It looks like it's designed to be a 3G/4G<-->WiFi bridge or a 3G/4G<-->Ethernet bridge, but there's no clear information about all the permutations it supports.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 12, 2015, 04:17:31 PM
Use the ebay search box again and put 251709847805 into it.  Generic device for less than $6 including shipping from China.
Why would you recommend buying a generic WiFi dongle, after pointing out that generic WiFi dongles don't work?

Regarding that other product, it has the typical Chinese eBay seller issue:  inadequate product information.  Have you actually bought one and confirmed that it can act as a WiFi<-->Ethernet bridge?  It looks like it's designed to be a 3G/4G<-->WiFi bridge or a 3G/4G<-->Ethernet bridge, but there's no clear information about all the permutations it supports.
I didn't recommend a product which I know won't work.  I gave that as an example of the price that a ObiWiFi could be.  There is no more technology inside the OBiWiFi than inside those 'no-name' dongles.  Note that I'm not saying that OBihai should have enabled the use of any generic USB WiFi dongle.  That is not straightforward to accomplish as different dongles require different drivers and the firmware cannot hope to contain all of them.  So Obihai have taken an otherwise standard dongle and customised it with VendorID and ProductID codes which their firmware recognises as an OBiWiFi and contains the driver for.  This avoids all the support issues with other dongles - they are not supported. Period.

As to the Hame A15 clones, yes I have one of those, several clones of the A1 (which is the same but includes a rechargeable battery), a Vonets VAR11n and a B-Link BL-MP01 (the MP02 is similar in a different case).

There are many such low cost devices which will perform Wi-Fi to ethernet conversion and enable an OBi to connect wirelessly.  Screenshot from A1 clone in wireless client mode attached.

Usetheforceobiwan

Use the ebay search box again and put 251709847805 into it.  Generic device for less than $6 including shipping from China.

Don't get me wrong, I am the first to search for cheaper viable alternatives but I just can't fathom how $20 for an optional wifi adapter is at all out of line.  I can remember OEM wifi option adapters for various devices I have owned (laptops, printers, etc.) being at a minimum three times that price.  Like I said, it would be nice if Obihai built that capability into their devices but I recognize not everyone needs it (or wants it).  And at least if the $20 adapter fails within the warranty period you can get some kind of recourse.

I gave that as an example of the price that a ObiWiFi could be.  

And if Obihai sold them for that price, we wouldn't be debating it on this website as they couldn't even pay the web hosting fee.

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 10:15:46 AM
Put 151407920903 into the search box at ebay.com to see what less than $12 will bring if you can accept the shipping time.

I only got one hit and it cost $13.38 with shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151407920903?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D151407920903%26_rdc%3D1

Amazon has the brand name for $13.98.
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Router-Modem-Internet-Wireless-N/dp/B00AT93GBM

I think Amazon is the better deal.

drgeoff

Don't get me wrong either.  I'm just pointing out that the same technology as in an ObiWiFi can be had for considerably less than $20.  There is nothing extra in the OBi version that costs significantly more to produce.

Of course price often has little relation to cost.  For example, think of car spares and compare prices for identical parts for say a Ford and a Mercedes.  They may have been sourced from the same manufacturer and be absolutely identical apart from marking with a Ford or Mercedes logo and part number. Same specification, same quality but I doubt you'll see the same price for that item on the bill when a Ford mechanic fits a Ford one and a Mercedes mechanic fits a Mercedes one.

While $20 for an OBiWiFI may seem reasonable, in comparison to the electronics that is in one of their ATAs at the prices they are, an OBiWiFi is expensive.  And the NRE cost that needs to be recovered in each ATA sold is way, way more than for the OBiWiFi.

Having said all that, I'm not accusing Obihai of having their customers over a barrel and ripping them off. (Just don't mention a certain fruity company!)

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on January 13, 2015, 12:42:29 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on January 12, 2015, 10:15:46 AM

I only got one hit and it cost $13.38 with shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151407920903?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D151407920903%26_rdc%3D1
Strange. I've just clicked your link and see US$11.38 with free international economy shipping.

azrobert

QuoteStrange. I've just clicked your link and see US$11.38 with free international economy shipping.

I get this:
Shipping: $2.00 ePacket delivery from Hong Kong

Do you live outside the U.S.?
Maybe that's the difference.

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on January 13, 2015, 02:13:21 PM
QuoteStrange. I've just clicked your link and see US$11.38 with free international economy shipping.

I get this:
Shipping: $2.00 ePacket delivery from Hong Kong

Do you live outside the U.S.?
Maybe that's the difference.

I do live outside the US but I was accessing ebay.com (rather than my usual ebay.co.uk) and I was not logged in to ebay.

Would be interesting to learn what other people in the US and elsewhere get.

Shiblee

Thanks for a nice discussion..I really liked it.

I am living another country than where I am from & purchased two OBi200 through ebay. There are import and shipping charges . In case there is hardware failure, I have to buy another.

I have seen this product (http://www.netis-systems.com/en/Products/Wireless%20USB%20Adapters/860.html#.VLYCj9KUe8A) is around 12$ and it has a 5db antenna. It is also having same chip-set as OBiwifi. So I was thinking whether it would be accessible from my Obi200s.

Anyway, powerline lan cards also a cheap option for connecting it where wiring will not be required.