News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will 911 calls be routed to the landline phone on the OBi110?

Started by Zoolander, June 21, 2013, 12:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoolander

I have a Obi110 connected to a landline phone and using Google voice.  I have outgoing called defaulted to GV.  Will dialing 911 route the call through the landline phone if no e911 is configured?

Shale

Normally.

If you use OBiTalk to set up your OBi110 and don't make some silly choice, then yes.

Semantically "no e911 is configured" may be wrong. If the PSTN 911 is configured to handle 911, and if that PSTN 911 is enhanced 911, then I would not say "no e911 is configured".

Start at http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/owned/ Click into your OBi device.  See the table called "Phone Port Configuration Summary" on your "Device Configuration" page. If it does not show "Emergency Service Call Routes to" showing that the line (I don't know the exact term, but it will have an L in it -- maybe an LI) then adjust your setup.

ianobi

The default for an OBi110 is:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

This rule {(<#:>|911):li} makes 911 a special case and sends 911 directly to the PSTN line port with no processing through digit maps etc.

During set up of a new voip provider, if you check the "Use This Service for Emergency 911 Calls" box, then the OBiTALK portal will insert a new 911 rule at the beginning of the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute which will be used in preference to the default as the rules are processed from left to right.

OBi users living outside of North America should be extra careful as their emergency number may not be 911.

Shale

Quote from: ianobi on June 22, 2013, 01:44:35 AM
During set up of a new voip provider, if you check the "Use This Service for Emergency 911 Calls" box, then the OBiTALK portal will insert a new 911 rule at the beginning of the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute which will be used in preference to the default as the rules are processed from left to right.

I think you may be saying that that OBiTalk, does not get set up the line as a service provider,  but that the 911 will go there by default. What will the OBi110 "Emergency Service Call Routes to:" row in the "Phone Port Configuration Summary" show?

ianobi

QuoteI think you may be saying that that OBiTalk, does not get set up the line as a service provider,  but that the 911 will go there by default.
Yes, the PSTN line port just exists - OBiTALK does not show it as a service provider. It assumes that if you have a PSTN line, then 911 should route there by default.

QuoteWhat will the OBi110 "Emergency Service Call Routes to:" row in the "Phone Port Configuration Summary" show?
This had me scratching my head for a while   :)  The OBi110 Device Configuration page does not have the section "Phone Port Configuration Summary". I guess as there is only one phone port it was not considered necessary.