News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use two Google Voice numbers on a single OBi-100

Started by Goffredo, June 24, 2013, 12:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goffredo

Hi,

Say I travel between two locations 1 and 2, and I have one Obi-100 in each location.  Each Obi-100 is associated with its own Google Voice number, and I have a 'landline' attached to each Obi-100 that i use to place and receive phone calls.  So:

(123)456-7890 <-- Google Voice #1, for Location #1
(987)555-1212 <-- Google Voice #2, for Location #2

Since it's not possible to have a Google Voice number forward to another Google Voice number, when I am in Location 2, I miss calls placed to Location #1.  I would like to fix this

Is it possible to have a single Obi-100 receive calls placed to either of the two Google Voice #s?  So for example, when I am in Location #2, and someone calls either phone number above, my landline rings?  If this is possible, how do I control what outgoing number is used when I place a call from Location #2?  I am hopeful that this is possible by configuring multiple service providers SP1 (associated to Google Voice #1) & SP2 (associated to Google Voice #2) on the Obi-100 in Location 2, but I want to confirm because I'm not really sure what I'm doing.  :)

If this is not possible, I would like a quick way to switch the phone number associated with a specific Obi-100.  For example, if I am in Location #2, I would like an easy way to change it from using Google Voice #2, to using Google Voice #1.  And back again.  That way, I can toggle it when I am expecting calls.

Please let me know if you have any ideas here.  Thanks for your help!

azrobert

There is a simple solution. You can have your OBi ring the local and distant phone.
This is called forking.

In OBi#1
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200222222)}

2002222222 is the OBi number of OBi#2

In OBi#2
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200111111)}

200111111 is the OBi number of OBi#1

You must have both OBi's registered to the OBiTalk network.

Goffredo

That's great, thanks.  I'll try it out!

I assume that for my usage, which is calls placed to OBI #1 also ring OBI #2, I only need to do the first of the two steps.

(I do not need calls to OBI #2 to ring OBI #1)

-Jeff

Goffredo

Update:  It didn't work.  I did the first of the two steps, and a test call to Obi #1 failed to ring the landline attached to Obi #2.   ???

azrobert

The answer your 1st question is yes. You only have to update OBi#1.

Can you look at the call history on OBi#1.
Go to Status -> Call History
On the right side of the entry for your test call you should see something like:
Forking to:PHONE1, OBiTALK1(ob200222222)

Next log into OBi#2
Go to Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute
It should be ph

Both your OBi's should be listed on the dashboard and their status should be Green.

If all the above are OK, it should work.

Goffredo

You know, I just realized as I was driving between Location 2 and Location 1 that I put the PHONE number, not the Obi number, as the pp() argument.   ::)  I will report back next time I'm at Location #2 and see if that fixes it... suspect it will.  Thanks!

Goffredo

Ok I was finally able to try this again.  I didn't have much success.

I entered the OBI # (not the phone #!) for OBi #2 into the X_InboundCallRoute field on my OBi #1 in the format prescribed:  {ph,pp(obYYYYYYYYYY)}, where YYYYYY is the OBi # for OBi #1.

Then, when I dialed the Google Vocie # associated to OBi #1 from a cell phone that was not linked to any of this, it rang twice and then some voice menu came up "Press 2 to place a call, press 3 to continue the call".  No idea what that was about.  When I restored X_InboundCallRoute back to the default "ph" value and submitted it, this weird voice menu prompt went away and it rang through as usual.

I was not able to verify the Call History information for you for OBi #1, because I am not currently at Location #1, and apparently I cannot remotely access the call history from the Dashboard / Expert Settings interface anymore -- I have to do it directly through the (private) IP address of OBi #1, which is 400 miles away at the moment.

I can, however, confirm that on OBi #2, X_InboundCallRoute is set to "ph".

I can also confirm that in my OBi dashboard, both OBi devices show up with the green status icon (there is also an entry for "Soft Phone" which is orange/red; not sure what that is).

Any advice appreciated.  If nothing else, I can follow up next time I'm back in Location #1 to see what the History shows.

ianobi

As azrobert advised, set up like so:

In OBi#1
Change to: {ph,pp(ob200222222)}

2002222222 is the OBi number of OBi#2

Quoteit rang twice and then some voice menu came up "Press 2 to place a call, press 3 to continue the call".  No idea what that was about.

The problem here is that OBi#1 is in OBi#2's Circle of Trust. This is set up automatically if both OBi's are in the same account. In OBi#2's OBiTALK InboundCallRoute delete OBi#1's number from any rule that ends ":aa". This will prevent the incoming call getting routed to the auto attendant.

Goffredo

GOT IT WORKING!  Thanks for your help.  For anybody else that follows along, here is a recap - this might make a good FAQ.

Assume:
OBI 1's obi # is 300111111 and it is associated with Google Voice # (111)111-1111 (aka line 1)
OBI 2's obi # is 300222222 and it is associated with Google Voice # (222)222-2222 (aka line 2)
OBI automatically created a "Soft Phone" entry for me with Obi # 2903333333 (no idea what this is)

Goal: 
When someone calls line 1 at (111)111-1111, I want it to ring line 2 at (222)222-2222.  Also ringing at (111)111-1111 is optional.

Steps:

Update first line's settings: (111)111-1111
1) Go to obitalk.com
2) Click endpoint corresponding to line 1
3) Click OBi Expert Configuration, accept dialog, click 'Enter OBI Expert'
4) Find Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute entry and update to include the Obi # for line 2:
Original: ph
New: {ph,pp(ob200222222)}
5) Ignore red ! to right of field.  Click 'Submit' button

Update second line's settings: (222)222-2222
6) Go back to obitalk.com
7) Click endpoint corresponding line 2
8) Click OBi Expert Configuration, accept dialog, click 'Enter OBI Expert'
9) Find Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute and update to exclude the obi # of line 1:
Original:  {(290333333|300111111)>(xx.):SP1},{(290333333|300111111):aa},{ph}
New: {(290333333|300111111)>(xx.):SP1},{(290333333):aa},{ph}
10) Ignore red ! to right of field.  Click 'Submit' button

Now when someone calls (111)111-1111, in addition to ringing to the Google Voice phone(s) associated to (111)111-1111, the Google Voice phone(s) associated to (222)222-2222 also ring.  Success!

Dranon2

JUST did this today with my obi 202 since I could not get both of them to ring at the same time in the same office front and back. IT WORKS!!! Both my obis ring at the same time now.

mykmayk

just like apple products, i didn't know i want it till i knew about it.  i didn't know about this "forking" 'em young'uns are talking about.  now that i know this trick, i'm glad i visit here often.

i've been using workarounds to make this happen.  now with this [instead of my lame workaround] the rings are instantaneous across all my obi's.  (don't ask me about my workaround.  it's so complicated, it gives me a headache every time i think about it.)

danke schön!
əʞɪɯ mɪke