News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No caller ID being passed on PSTN calls into 110 from magicJack

Started by Dav3yDark0, April 08, 2011, 03:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav3yDark0

I received my OBi110 a few days ago, the setup was easy and have it all up and running.

The only issue I have noticed is that I'm not getting any callerID info sent to the phone when calls come in to my magicJack number.

I have my magicJack plugged into the line port, with the 110 powered on no callerID info sent to phone on FXO port. If I unplug power from the OBi110 my phone still rings on calls to my mJ number, but still no callerID. If I plug my phone, same phone that I am using with the 110, directly in to my mJ the callerID works. So I think somehow the 110 is not properly sending the callerID info from the FXS port to the FXO port, even when there is no power to the 110.

I have had this problem with both the 1.2.1 build 2102 and 2103. My 110 came with 1.1 but I upgrade it before using it so I do not know if this issue existed with the 1.1 firmware.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

RonR

Quote from: Dav3yDark0 on April 08, 2011, 03:46:55 PMIf I unplug power from the OBi110 my phone still rings on calls to my mJ number, but still no callerID. If I plug my phone, same phone that I am using with the 110, directly in to my mJ the callerID works.
This part doesn't compute.  When the OBi is powered off, there is a relay that de-energizes, connecting the PHONE Port jack directly to the LINE Port jack (at least on the red/green line 1 contacts).  I just verified this with an ohmmeter to make sure.  Consequently, there shouldn't be any difference between plugging your phone directly into the MagicJack versus through the PHONE+LINE Port jacks on the OBi with it powered off.

Dav3yDark0

That's what I gathered from reading this forum, but my testing shows a different results between the phone being plugged in to an unpowered 110 verses the same phone being plugged directly into the magicJack.

Thinking more about it, I remember there was a problem with older magicJacks (mines about 3yrs old) in the past not giving a callerID on some phones and the solution was to add a 100ohm resistor. Maybe there is some minor electrical difference when going through the un-powered 110 that might cause a need to add the resistor? I might try that tomorrow to see if I get a different result.

Dave