News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Tip of the Hat to Anveo

Started by airmooney, June 25, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airmooney

As I'm using Google Voice, I waffled for a week on what to do about 911.  Called the local 911 administrator, and she kindly gave me a number which rings on the desk of the 911 operator.  This was just a local number, so she said I would have to immediately let the 911 dispatcher know I was calling about an emergency, otherwise they would think I was just calling about about "whatever" from the local precinct maybe concerning business.  I went into the advanced configuration of my Obi110 and chickened out.  Those crazy strings had me worried I would mess everything up, and mind you, I build my own computers.  So I decided in the end to go with Anveo for a mere 12.00 a year.  The Anveo test of dialing 933 worked, but I never actually dialed 911, not even in the 20 years I've been living in my house.  Then two days ago, it happened.  We received a reverse 911 call about a maniac in the canyon below our nieghborhood.  Awesome.  Secure the perimeter, lock and load...you know the rest.  Ok, I guess that's all there was to it in the end, but Anveo pulled through.  Reverse 911 worked and I'm sure it will now work the other way if I call them.  Congrats Anveo and Obi.

giqcass

I had never heard of "reverse 911".   I had to look this up to satisfy my curiosity.  I don't even know if they use that where I live.  We have never had an emergency that would warrant that type of notification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_911
Long live our new ObiLords!