News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 gv#s, obi110, obi100, new router, major confusion (but they're working)

Started by Bubba947, July 01, 2013, 05:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba947

Hi,

I had a stable configuration with an obi110 (Home) and an obi100 (Work), two Google Voice numbers, and a Linksys e4200. I replaced the Linksys with an Asus RT-n660 over the weekend and have not been able to get a completely normally functioning configuration since.

In both the old and new configuration I configured each obi with a static IP. I changed the ports for Work to 5062 and 5063.

In the old configuration, I had port range forwarding for both TCP and UDP on each static IP for their respective ranges (5060:5061 for Home, 5062:5063 for Work).

After installing the Asus (but not configuring any port range forwarding), Work worked. Home did not. In fact, I could not see the obi110 anymore on my network. Nothing I did let me access it. I had to reset it to factory and reconfigure it from scratch. A lot of cursing and troubleshooting later I have both lines working again BUT I still can't see one of my obis on the network. (I'm using Advanced IP Scanner and I know what static IP it had before completing its obitalk device add.) During the troubleshooting, I factory reset both obis and I deleted and added both devices through obitalk (more than once, see reference to much cursing!).

Further, the Work obi, which I configured to use ports 5062:5063 has been reset (I can see this in both the obi's own web admin pages as ewll as in obitalk's configuration pages) to 5060:5061? Home is set to 5060:5061 also ... but I can only "tell" from the obitalk config pages ... I can't see the web page (or even IP number) for Home on my network at all.

What the heck is going on? How is it possible that both lines are working when one of the devices is IP-invisible and both are sharing the same ports?

--- Confused in SIP-IP-land

Shale

I may have missed some things. Are "home" and "work" at the same place on the same network, or is work elsewhere?

Can both OBis make phone calls?

Are both OBi showing as online in OBiTalk?

Find IP address: from your phone dial ***1 and listen for the IP address.
Write it down.

Let a comma represent a pause.

If you want to enable HTTP web access from the Internet port 80 for your OBi:
dial ***0,30#, 1, 1

Enter the IP address that you wrote down into the address box on your
browser.  Poke around

Be prepared to enter the password for your OBi. You may want to make any changes from OBiTalk, but it is good to at least be able to read things locally.

Try connecting the problem OBi directly to the modem as a test. Alternatively, put that OBi into the DMZ in your router.

Bubba947

Both obis (Home and Work) are on the same network at my house.

Both obis could make and receive calls. Both were showing "connected" in ObiTalk.

But apparently the configuration wasn't stable as this morning (my post described the last config attempt I made yesterday) neither obi could make or receive a call. I have deleted both, factory reset both, and configured just Home.

I can take my "Work" calls on my cell. Want to avoid making my wife do the same for her Home calls.

The next time I attempt to configure Work, I'll try the codes you've supplied, if the obi "disappears" from the network, but I'm not sure what I will learn from them. Something about the current ObiTalk Add Device (or my current router) is writing information for one line to both obis. Or that's how it looks to me when it's all done. I think both of them end up configured with the same IP number but somehow, temporarily at least, know which call is for which device even though their IPs are the same. If I can use the ***1 with each line to confirm that suspicion about the IP, it'll be something.

Another thought I had was to revert to my old router and make a config attempt. If it works, then I'll know it's something about the new router or the new router's config, not ObiTalk.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

azrobert

Do you configure your OBi's directly thru the WEB or from OBiTalk?

Bubba947

Solved. It was a router issue. My port forwarding was not correct. ObiTalk configuration wrote both ObiTalk configurations to the same Obi (or one of the ObiTalk configs to both Obis). Correcting the port forwarding allowed me to configure both properly. Thanks for helping.

Shale

Quote from: Bubba947 on July 16, 2013, 02:48:15 PM
Solved. It was a router issue. My port forwarding was not correct.

Thanks. Can you describe the correct port forwarding?

Bubba947

On my Asus RT-N66U I performed the following steps:

Select WAN from the Advanced Settings Menu.
Select the Virtual Server / Port Forwarding tab.
In the Port Forwarding List "form" at the bottom of the page,
manually enter the following data:
  Service Name: Obihome
  Port Range: 5060:5061
  Local IP: 192.168.1.x
  Local Port: <leave blank>
  Protocol: Both
And click the "circle-plus" icon.

Repeat to add the second entry using this data:
  Service Name: Obiwork
  Port Range: 5062:5063
  Local IP: 192.168.1.y
  Local Port: <leave blank>
  Protocol: Both
And click the "circle-plus" icon.

And click the Apply button. (I think this restarts the router but I can't remember for sure.)

Where Obihome corresponds to a factory configured Obi and Obiwork is the custom configured Obi. (I can't remember which one is the 110 and which is the 100 right now, but I don't think it matters as long as you keep them straight.)

Where x and y are the static IP addresses I have assigned to my Obis.

Where "Obihome" and "Obiwork" don't have any functional value other than helping you keep your sanity. In Obitalk I designate one Home and the other Work and of course they "match" these router entries.

Where I did manually configure the Obi designated Work/Obiwork to use the range 5062:5063.