News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI-110 Phone vs Line Ports

Started by Shrewsbury, July 02, 2013, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewsbury

I would like to connect OBI-110 to my home wall-jack(RJ-11), so I can attach a phone to any other wall-jack through-out the house (Tel-Co linewire in is no longer connected to house).  So, my question is; Do I use the OBI Line port or the OBI Phone port to connect cable to wall-jack?

Note: OBI is supposed to provide 5 REN, so my assumption is that there is enough power to do what I am intending to do.

Shale

Maybe both.

The line from the phone company connects to the Line port. The

If you were to use just a wireless phone, the base would plug into the phone base unit. But that is not your plan. You want to have multiple wire phones in your house. The wiring, if any, that connects to phones in your house would be connected to the phone port.

It is possible to have these two pairs of wiring on the same wall jack. This would require custom wiring to the jack, and a telephone line splitter to break out the two separate signals.

Understand that you will have to adjust the existing wiring to accomplish this.

RFord

Assuming you no not have service from your local Telco Provider, you will use the phone port of the OBi110 (NOT THE LINE PORT) to back-feed all the other jacks in your house.  Warning:  In order to do this safely, you did to permanently disconnect any Telco Line (PSTN) at the NID (where Telco Line connects to the box) at the exterior of your house in order to avoid damage to your OBi110.

Clive

Hi Shrewsbury.

I can confirm that RFord is correct in his explanation. I have done this for a few clients.

Disconnect the Telco wire from the circuit where it enters the house then just put the rj11 lead from the PHONE socket on the OBi into a phone jack on the wall and that feeds all the other phone jacks in the house.