News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble porting mobile number to google voice

Started by wisbadger, July 07, 2013, 01:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisbadger

I have transferred my landline number to tracfone (with some problems).  Now when I want to transfer the number to google voice I get the following message.

Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
- This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting.

My number is just a standard US mainline area code which is 440.  I do not understand why google voice cannot accept that number.  help from google voice seems non-existant so I thought I would try here.

Thanks

RFord

Unfortunately, the area code is not the deciding factor that determines whether a number is portable.  It is the rate center that the number falls under.  For example, if your number is: 440-NPA-XXXX, the NPA the first three digits of your telephone number, is the overriding factor.  Google Voice gets all the numbers from Bandwidth.com and they have to have a presence in that rate center to be able to port in a number.  There is an online tool you can use to check to see if Bandwidth.com operate in that rate center.  See link below;  you need to enter the area code and the first three digits of your number to see if Banwidth.com is capable of porting your number:

http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-detail?npa=440&exchange=

CoalMinerRetired

There are some discussions on the 'number porting to GV - My Experience thread' on what options you have if you port a landline to a mobile but then find out GV will not do ports from numbers in that exchange.

Here's one message: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1051.msg38336#msg38336
Also see page 6 of the same thread.

wisbadger

Quote from: RFord on July 07, 2013, 03:55:08 PM
Unfortunately, the area code is not the deciding factor that determines whether a number is portable.  It is the rate center that the number falls under.  For example, if your number is: 440-NPA-XXXX, the NPA the first three digits of your telephone number, is the overriding factor.  Google Voice gets all the numbers from Bandwidth.com and they have to have a presence in that rate center to be able to port in a number.  There is an online tool you can use to check to see if Bandwidth.com operate in that rate center.  See link below;  you need to enter the area code and the first three digits of your number to see if Banwidth.com is capable of porting your number:

http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-detail?npa=440&exchange=

I checked and bandwidth.com is not listed for my area code and exchange.  Does that mean there is absolutely no way to port the number to GV?

carl

Quote from: wisbadger on July 10, 2013, 12:19:04 PM
Does that mean there is absolutely no way to port the number to GV?

Pretty much it is not. You can port your number to another VOIP provider ( try Localphone mayber they can port your number, their monthly DID fee is 99c.) and use GV for outgoing.