News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setup GV for outgoing, anyway for incoming?

Started by rositap, July 12, 2013, 09:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rositap

So, I recently switched to VOIP and I don't really know much about it.

What I want essentially is to make free outgoing and incoming calls from google voice.

What I currently have:
1) Voip.ms service incoming calls (my number is ported)
2) GV for outgoing calls on line2 (**2...)

So my goal is when people call my current LANDLINE, is there anyway to forward it to GV but still pick it up at home (aka, free incoming calls)?

Shale

OBi can accept incoming GV calls at home if you set things up. Forwarding Voip.ms calls to GV would not be done by the OBi at home if you are planning to planning to pick up the calls at home. So this forwarding would not involve the OBi setup. You would do that at Voip.ms. I expect that would not be free.

When you say "LANDLINE", I suspect that you mean a call to your historic phone number that was previously on you landline but has been ported to voip.ms. If that is the case, why not just pick up the VOIP.ms calls to your historic phone number with the OBi from VOIP.ms?

If my interpretation is wrong about what you are trying to accomplish, what are you trying to accomplish?

rositap

Quote from: Shale on July 12, 2013, 10:56:18 AM
OBi can accept incoming GV calls at home if you set things up. Forwarding Voip.ms calls to GV would not be done by the OBi at home if you are planning to planning to pick up the calls at home. So this forwarding would not involve the OBi setup. You would do that at Voip.ms.

So could you outline the steps needed? From my understanding:

1) Get a GV number
2) Go to VOIP.MS and forward to my GV number
3) go to OBI100 and in SP2 setup something?

Shale

I did some modification while you were doing your latest post.

If you want calls to come in to GV from your historic phone number, why not port your number to GV?

If you port to voip.ms, why not receive the calls from voip.ms without those calls involving GV?

Those are the common ways to do what I think you are looking to do.

So here is my suggestion:

Use OBitalk.

Set up GV on SP2. Tell OBiTalk that most outgoing calls should go to SP2 by default.
Set up VOIP.ms on SP1. Have 911 calls go to SP2. If Google is down some day or if you want the outgoing caller ID to have your old landline number, prefix your call with **1

I expect that while VOIP.ms is not free, that it is very reasonable. I know the Anveo rates, and I expect VOIP.ms is competitive. If it seems that it is not pretty cheap, ask them. You may have misunderstood their pricing.

Which is SP1 and which is SP2 is arbitrary. See http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.php and the links in the left column to get info on setting up GV.

rositap

Quote from: Shale on July 12, 2013, 11:05:01 AM
I did some modification while you were doing your latest post.

If you want calls to come in to GV from your historic phone number, why not port your number to GV?

If you port to voip.ms, why not receive the calls from voip.ms without those calls involving GV?

Those are the common ways to do what I think you are looking to do.

Since I live in Canada, I cannot directly port my number to GV, so Im looking for alternatives

Stan.

Quote from: rositap on July 12, 2013, 09:31:30 AM
So my goal is when people call my current LANDLINE, is there anyway to forward it to GV but still pick it up at home (aka, free incoming calls)?

Sorry, but no.  You can forward to your Google Voice number, but it will definitely not be free.

When callers dial your 'landline' at Voip.MS, you are charged Voip.MS incoming rates for the duration of the call, EVEN IF it is immediately forwarded.  This is assuming your DID is on a per-minute plan (if you have flat rate instead, you're *already* paying for unlimited incoming).

In fact, for forwarded calls, you will ALSO pay for an outgoing call FROM Voip.MS for the duration of the call.

So forwarding Voip.MS to Google voice will be MORE expensive than simply answering the Voip.MS call directly.