News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dial Tone delay

Started by DonB, July 15, 2013, 10:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonB

I have noticed on my OBI unit using GV, when I click on talk it takes about 4 or 5 seconds to get a dialtone, did something change, I checked to see if there was a new firmware update and I am up to date. This has been for the past few days now, Any suggestion.

DonB

Update, FTR, I decided to login into the Web Portal and noticed it was asking for a reboot, so I did so, and dial tone comes right in now, cheers.

DonB

Need some help. Since we get any storms here in S FL, I keep having to get the IP address fr the OBI unit to be able to login to the portal, so today I decide to change it to Static, and did so with no issues, saved all the configs. I rebooted and now I get no dial tone, and when I login to the OBI, it says status disconnected, my SP1 and SP 2 are not assigned any longer and I can't even edit, am I doing something wrong. Should I revert back to DHCP.  :-\

When I unplug I get a dial tone, but when I dial out it says there is no service with my line.

DonB

Also, when I do login, this is the message I get top and bottom.

DonB

OK, FTR, I went back to the original DHCP settings, and all is back working again, I guess setting a static IP changes all the settings, so I'll leave it at DHCP now, unless someone guides me through the proper process of changing it to Static.

drgeoff

Setting a static IP does not change ALL the settings.

Did you set IP address,  netmask,  gateway and DNS?

sailing

When you set a fixed IP in the Obi, make sure it is outside the DHCP range of the router. You'll have to look at your router's settings to know which addresses are part of the DHCP.

drgeoff

If your router has the feature, telling it to always give the same dynamic IP address to the OBi is easier than setting the Obi to static.

DonB

I'll have to check that, I have the Netgear Nighthawk, will have to check where that would be.

I did make sure it was outside the ranger and I did make sure I added the netmask, gateway IP address and DNS

BigJim_McD

Quote from: DonB on July 30, 2015, 03:51:18 PM
I'll have to check that, I have the Netgear Nighthawk, will have to check where that would be.

DonB,  On the Netgear Nighthawk, IP address reservation is configured at:

Netgear Nighthawk > Advanced > LAN Setup > Address Reservation
BigJimMcD

DonB

Quote from: BigJim_McD on July 30, 2015, 04:04:24 PM
Quote from: DonB on July 30, 2015, 03:51:18 PM

DonB,  On the Netgear Nighthawk, IP address reservation is configured at:

Netgear Nighthawk > Advanced > LAN Setup > Address Reservation

Done, thanks