News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Power button or Google on/off button

Started by JeffS, July 18, 2013, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffS

[The suggestion/request I am making here applies to all OBi 100- and 200- series units.]

It is already known that having an OBi device connected will conflict with receiving calls in Google Talk web interface.  So if you want to turn on Google Talk while signed into GMail, so you can receive Google calls on your computer, you must disconnect the OBi device.

When I go to work, I like to be able to receive these calls through GMail on my web browser.  So each morning, when I leave the house, I have to unplug the device.

Furthermore, just removing the power like this means it takes several minutes for Google to realize the OBi is not online anymore.  Therefore I don't start receiving calls on the web browser right away (for instance, if I am at home on the browser).

It sure would be nice to just have a button on the top of the device (for each line) which either turned on/off the whole device, or at least signed me in/out of Google Voice.  This way I wouldn't have to reach around and plug/unplug the power every morning/evening.  (And I wonder if it is eventually going to where out the jack with all that plugging in/out.)  And the OBi would correctly sign out from Google Voice gracefully and immediately.

infin8loop

Instead of unplugging the unit you might consider going to the SPx setting for GV
Voice Services -> SPx Service -> Enable   (uncheck it)

By unchecking the "Enable" parameter the unit will not register to the service.

I configure locally. Hopefully the OBiTALK Portal allows the same parameter to be set. If the portal works then you could flip the virtual switch off/on remotely after you get to work.

Alternatively, if your schedule is always the same you might also consider plugging the OBi into a on/off timer. Gee, where have I heard that before?   (from QBZappy  ;D)

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

infin8loop

An even easier way to disable the SPx for GV or any provider is to use the ***0 command from a phone connected to the OBi.
I have tested the following on my OBi110 and it works.

Rather than have to enter the commands manually, I programmed two speed dials on my cordless phone connected to the OBi110. These are speed dials saved in the phone, not speed dials saved in the OBi.

For the Enable speed dial enter:  ***0 nnn# pppp# nnn# 1 1# 1

For the Disable speed dial enter: ***0 nnn# pppp# nnn# 1 0# 1

Replace nnn positions with 100 for SP1 or 200 for SP2, replace pppp positions with the IVR password. Omit the embedded spaces that are included here for readability. If you don't have an IVR password set you will need to adjust the above speed dial strings. Enter the command ***0 manually on the phone and follow the prompts to see what you will need to code.

The ***0  100 and 200 options are documented in the OBi Admin Guide on pages 30 and 32 respectively.  I don't see mention of SP3 and SP4 for those of you that have them. Logically I'd guess 300 and 400 but the OBi is not always logical.

I was surprised no pauses were needed in the speed dials. I am using an old Vtech cordless system and these speed dials work. You may need to include pauses between the various responses that are included in the speed dial (where the spaces are).
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

JeffS

Infin8Loop - Thank you for these tips.

Yeah, I had tried turning on/off via web.  Ended up not doing it - takes too long, and I didn't always remember every day when I got to work..  However, nice to know it's there, as a backup.

Your 2nd suggestion, the speed-dial, I tried, and it works!  I programmed my old cheapy phone i bought from Goodwill.  I had to figure out what you meant by IVR (Interactive Voice Response, using the phone to interact with the OBi), and how to get to the Admin manual at http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf --neither Docs nor "Support Home" are listed in the main site "Support" drop-down menu. Then I had to program the IVR password, which I figured out with help from http://fredshack.com/docs/obi110.html, and can be done via either the OBi's web interface or the phone/IVR interface.  To do it via web browser, it helped to get to the OBi's web page by knowing the IP address, which I could get from the OBi itself by hitting ***1.  Once there, I could set the IVR password by going to "System Management" --> "Device Admin" sub-page.

Man! I never would have figured out that whole sequence myself which you gave, just looking at the Admin manual -- so thank you for laying that out so clearly!!!

So for now, I will use the speed-dial, and thanks again.  I set Memory 1 (M1) button on my phone to "Enable SP1" and M2 to "Disable SP1".  Very nice.  Like you, I found that no pauses were necessary -- at least at the rate my phone dials these numbers.

However, long term, I still think the easiest and most intuitive for users would just be SP1 and SP2 on/off buttons.  But hey, I'm sure we all have our own 'pet' features. :-)

Perhaps a couple of programmable buttons on the OBi box, then?  Each of us could program these for our own uses..?

..But then, again, I guess that's what the ***0 IVR commands, do..  Just offloads the cost of hardware (buttons) onto your own phone..

Thanks again.
-JS

jcmcnamee

I would love it if there was an online scheduler where we can set "do not disturb" times that SP1 or SP2 are on or off. I work from home and would love to stop SP2 from ringing from say 9-6 on weekdays, but let SP1 ring through.

gderf

Quote from: jcmcnamee on February 04, 2014, 09:04:16 AM
I would love it if there was an online scheduler where we can set "do not disturb" times that SP1 or SP2 are on or off.

If these are Google Voice numbers, ring schedules can be configured on the GV site.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

MikeHObi

Quote from: jcmcnamee on February 04, 2014, 09:04:16 AM
I would love it if there was an online scheduler where we can set "do not disturb" times that SP1 or SP2 are on or off. I work from home and would love to stop SP2 from ringing from say 9-6 on weekdays, but let SP1 ring through.

Not sure if ObiPlus does this, but this is really something the provider should handle who is forwarding the call to the obi.  For example, google voice can do this, and Anveo call flow builder has an object that allows you to define hours of "business".
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

kb_hunter

Not sure why go through all these complications!

Just leave a gmail login and phone number dedicated to Obi. Then just have google voice forward the calls to any other number as needed. Gmail accounts and Google Voice numbers are dime a dozen anyway.

I hope you are not using your primary gmail id for SP1 or SP2. I would never enter my password to my primary account anywhere.