News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Loud buzz on OBi110 line PSTN

Started by Jon9999, July 20, 2013, 10:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GZZM

I had the same problem: the loud static noise in the phone, which could not removed by the factory reset.
I found the solution and I am back with the VOIP, with the same old OBI device.
I have modem, router, OBI, and VGA=>HDMI adapter in one place.
Sometimes I need to restart internet modem and router, when one of the comps could not connect to the network.
It is recommended to unplug modem and router for one minute and then reconnect them back.
I obviously not unplugging them from outlet, but taking out power cord from the device itself, that low voltage end, which comes after transformer.
My entire family knows and does that.
Somehow, those ends were mixed up, probably between the three: modem, router, and OBI.
Modem and OBI require 12DC, router has input 5DC.
OBI is hardwired into router.
I don't know exactly, but 5DC was plugged either into modem or OBI, which resulted in that loud static noise.
At the same time wifi connection became unstable.
After I found about this mess and put power input cables in order, everything works fine.
OBI works, wifi is much more stable.
So, I labeled each end and told to all family members.
Obviously it is easy to mix up similar looking power ends after taking them off for one minute, nobody sits and looks at them, we are doing something else in between and turning back.
It is enough to mix them up.
Fortunately, hardware didn't fail on any devices.

So, input voltage might be the issue here; however, overpowered router, if OBI hardwired to it, also might contribute...