News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBIHAI 220 How to connect phone line

Started by ammoun, July 21, 2013, 01:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ammoun

Hello,

So in this image it's really clear:

One plug gets the landline, the other gets the phone rj11. For me this model is really clear.

Since I have a OBIHAI 220, apparently there is no Line plug, I can only see phone 1 and phone 2. I tried dividing the cable I get from the phone provider into two cables. One goes to obihai 220(phone 1) and the other goes to the phone.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong because I have a feeling both will try to take over when I dial something... I keep hearing my phone provider complaining about an unrecognized number (since it starts **xxxxx)

I could also get Obihai to process a GV call though...

Could you please suggest the right way to plug the phone line please? Who should get more authority on the line? Obihai or the phone?

Just for info, my phone set doesn't have an out rj11, just one for input.

Thank you

hwittenb

The OBi220 wasn't designed to attach to a PSTN phone line.  You need an OBi110 for that.  The OBi220 was just designed to interface to voip providers and attach to two separate analog phone handsets.

Shale

I suspect you have an OBi202.

What are you trying to achieve? 

If you are trying to make or receive phone calls, perhaps using your old phone number, the OBi202 can do the job. If you want to do that with a OBi202, you may need to replace your old provider with a cheaper SIP provider.

ammoun

Yah Shale, I apologize, I do have the OBi202! I'm trying to obtain the same functionality as OBi110, I want to plug it in correctly for now, because they way I have it now, it is in a competition with the phone... When I dial using the phone set, since OBi and the phone both are connected with the same authority to the line, they enter into competition and they both dial at the same time.

ammoun

Quote from: Shale on July 21, 2013, 02:36:56 PM
If you are trying to make or receive phone calls, perhaps using your old phone number, the OBi202 can do the job. If you want to do that with a OBi202, you may need to replace your old provider with a cheaper SIP provider.

For now, I want to separate the phone from OBi, they are in competition right now, they both want to dial at the same time since they are both connected to the phone line the same way. The cable coming from the provider splits into 2, one goes to the phone and the other goes to OBi(phone 1 plug). Can I achieve the same functionality as OBi110 so that the cable from the phone provider goes into OBi and Obi gives a cable to the phone, and that way I think OBi will decide if using the line is needed or not.

ammoun

Ok, maybe I'm getting wrong. Is there a way to use PSTN with OBi202? Or is it just exclusive to OBi110? I'm mostly interested in bridging calls from land line to voip. Thanks

Shale

Quote from: ammoun on July 21, 2013, 04:23:48 PM
Ok, maybe I'm getting wrong. Is there a way to use PSTN with OBi202? Or is it just exclusive to OBi110? I'm mostly interested in bridging calls from land line to voip. Thanks

I would consider porting your PSTN number to a VOIP provider, and do your bridging from VOIP to Voip. Maybe have GV + Anveo, which I use, but there are other good VOIP providers. It will cost less than keeping your PSTN line, although PSTN is more reliable... it does not need power or internet to be working.

Otherwise, you could maybe find a person with an OBi110 to trade for your OBi202. However you can maybe just buy an OBi110 for about $50 (or wait for a $40 sale). That price may be similar to what you pay for your PSTN for a month or might pay for a SIP provider for a couple years or so. Only the OBi110 connects to the PSTN.