News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming calls go straight to VM

Started by cmunday, July 22, 2013, 06:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmunday

Hi All,

I just purchased the Obi100 and I am trying to set it up with voip.ms.  I am able to make outgoing calls, but when I try calling with my home line with my cell phone, it goes straight to VM and I do not hear any rining happening on the cell or the home line.

What setting(s) should I be looking at and what should it be?

Thanks

Shale

You should have said you were using GV. Fortunately I am psychic.  :D

See http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.php and read through the GV and Troubleshooting sections.

cmunday

I'm not using GV and I check the troubleshooting section previously and didn't see anything in the that addresses it.  Only ones question seems address ringing but on more than one phone or soft phone.

If I just have one number, does the X_InboundCallRoute value need to include my number also, or can it just stay as "ph"?

Shale

Quote from: cmunday on July 22, 2013, 12:35:59 PM
I'm not using GV and I check the troubleshooting section previously and didn't see anything in the that addresses it.  Only ones question seems address ringing but on more than one phone or soft phone.

If I just have one number, does the X_InboundCallRoute value need to include my number also, or can it just stay as "ph"?

Dang. There goes my psychic delusion. Actually most people who don't say they are using a SIP provider are using GV.

When you say voice mail, then I presume you are referring to voice mail at your mystery voip.ms SIP provider. The call may well have never gotten to your OBi.

Did you setup your SP at OBiTalk? Does OBiTalk show Registered for the SP? Does the call show up in  your OBi call history? If not, the problem could be in how your SIP account is set up, or it could be a router issue. Consider checking call logs at your SIP provider. Also, as a test,  consider trying things like connecting your OBi to the modem directly-- bypassing the router that may be blocking something.

-----------------
To check the OBi call history log:

1.  If you do not know the IP address of your OBi, find IP address:
from your phone dial ***1 and listen for the IP address.  Write it
down.

2. Enable web access from the WAN for your OBi202 (not needed others):
Let a comma represent a pause.
dial ***0,30#, 1, 1 (for OBi202)
For OBi100, 110, 200 instead dial just ***1.

Your OBi should read your current IP number to you. It is often
192.168.__.__ or 10.0.__/.___ where __ represents some numbers. Write
that down.

3. Enter the IP address that you wrote down into the address box on your
browser. If you don't know what a browser is, that means Internet Explorer,
Chrome or Safari. It could  also mean Firefox,  etc.

Be prepared to enter the password for your OBi. The username is admin.

4. On the left, click Status -> Call History.

cmunday

Shale,

I checked and you're right, the calls are not making it to the OBi.  I had reset the unit to factory defaults and went to the Obi website and set everything up again using the Voip.ms option (previously I did the setup manually using the instructions on Voip.ms website).  The unit shows registered on the Obi site and I can call out but inbound calls do not make it.  I can see the inbound calls registered on my voip.ms account but not in Obi.

Shale

Look to the router.

Consider hooking the OBi directly to the modem temporarily for testing, if the router is not built into the modem. If that works, that would point to a router setting being the problem.

Also if you have SIP ALG settings in your router, try changing that... turn it off or on -- the opposite of what does not work.

You might have to get into port forwarding... I would search for others using your router to see what they had to do.

SteveInWA

What he said....but, only turn SIP ALG off if it's on, not on if it's off.  It's a useless feature for home networks.  The one-way audio is usually a SIP port number, or firewall rule, or SIP ALG issue.

Quote from: Shale on July 22, 2013, 05:18:11 PM
Look to the router.

Also if you have SIP ALG settings in your router, try changing that... turn it off. or on -- the opposite of what does not work.

If that didn't fix it, I'd also suggest trying to isolate the OBi as the cause of the problem (or not) by installing a softphone client (like Counterpath X-Lite) on your computer (PC or Mac), configure it with your voip.ms credentials and see if that works.

cmunday

Shale/Steve,

Thanks for help in trying to narrow this down.  I have the ASUS RT-N56U router and have just updated the latest firmware added the feature to disable the SIP passthrough (currently enabled). 

Previous to purchasing this Obi100, I was/am also using the Cisco Spa112 and it works fine. Could the router only affect the Obi and not the Cisco Spa112?  Either way I am going to hook everything up again tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks again!

SteveInWA

If the same SIP credentials work on the Cisco SPA box, but not on the OBi, that obviously points the finger at the OBi.  I don't use voip.ms.  But, I found, with using Callcentric, that my SPA2102 ATA will work on different SIP ports, such as 5070, but the OBi would only work on the default port, 5060.  If you have both devices trying to use 5060 at the same time on the same network, that could cause problems.  YMMV, of course.

You said "SIP passthrough".  We said, and we meant "SIP ALG".  It looks like the ASUS router doesn't have a web GUI setting for this, and in fact the firmware messes up SIP, at least it did at the time this thread was written (I found it with a Google search on "asus router sip alg"):

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9683

Perhaps the firmware you downloaded adds this setting, but be careful to understand what it is actually doing.  You do NOT want the router performing any management of SIP...so perhaps, if it says "passthrough", it should be ENabled.  I guess this all goes back to what Shale said, you may have to try toggling it both ways if you can't find out how this relates to disabling ALG.

cmunday

Tried disabling the SIP Passthrough option in the ASUS router with no luck. I then went directly from my cable modem to the Obi, verified that it got a proper IP address from my ISP and no luck there either, straight to voicemail and not registering as a call to the Obi at all.

SteveInWA

Just to be clear, if you unplug your OBi, and replace it with your Cisco ATA, does voip.ms work properly now?  IF so, about all I can think of would be to perform a factory reset of the OBi box, then delete it from your OBiTALK portal page, and add it back in, and go through the OBiTALK wizard-based configuration for voip.ms (again, if you did it before), and don't change any other settings.  If it won't work after that, it's time to contact voip.ms for support.   I read through the voip.ms documentation for using their service with an OBi, and it is pure vanilla. 

For another test, you could download Counterpath's X-Lite softphone, and configure it for voip.ms, and see if inbound calls work (unplug your ATA(s) first).

Maybe somebody else here on the forum who uses voip.ms will have experienced this, and can offer their opinion.

QBZappy

cmunday,

Try another voipms server. When service is not available it goes to VM.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.