News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two OBI devices on the same GV number

Started by bergman, July 22, 2013, 10:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bergman

This topic has been previously discussed, but it has been a while. I'm looking for the simplest way to configure.
Currently, I have one OBI working on GV. GV rings my OBI and my cell phone simultaneously. I want to add a second OBI100 that will be located at my vacation home.
My ideal scenario is that calls to my GV number ring both OBIs and my cell.
There will never be people in both homes at the same time so there are no issues with t he two OBIs competing for outbound calling via GV and I do not call out through GV on my cell.
I've seen one suggested config that requires a couple DIDs through CallCentric. I'd like to avoid adding yeti another layer of free services (beyond GV) as each service is a potential failure point.
What is the absolute simplest and most transparent configuration possible?
Worst case, I could obtain a second GV number (to use with the second OBI) and add it to the calling group of t he first GV, but that seems like a waste.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

SteveInWA

The most reliable/transparent/foolproof way to do this is to obtain at least one free inbound DID from Callcentric, as you mentioned.  You can configure your GV account to ring Google Chat (aka Talk or Hangouts) and the CC DID(s), and then configure the same Google user ID and PW on SP1 of OBi #1, for example, and then configure your CC free DID on SP1 of OBi #2 instead of GV.  OR, you can get two CC DIDs, and use one on each OBi, instead of the Google credentials.  I haven't tried it yet, but CC now lets you define multiple SIP "extensions" on one account, which would even allow you to use just one CC free DID that rang two virtual extensions, each with separate SIP credentials, one on each OBi.

I have my GV account configured with two CC DIDs; one rings my OBi, and the other rings my IP phone system.  The CC DIDs have been very reliable for me, and you can use CC for E-911 dialing, an important (mandatory, in my opinion) feature for any hardware telephone.  Another advantage of this is that, if you select CC's pay-per-minute outbound calling option, you have a backup way to make phone calls when GV goes down.  Yet another advantage:  if you route inbound calls through CC instead of through Google Chat, you get Caller ID with name (CNAM).  AND finally, you avoid the inevitable issue of what might happen if/when Google gets rid of XMPP support, thus rendering OBi/GV use (at least temporarily) dead.

If you really don't want to do this, then you can configure both OBi boxes to use the same GV account, but unplug the one not currently in use, to avoid contention for grabbing the GV login session, which will screw up inbound calling.

ianobi

Bergman,

This is a version of a master/slave setup where all services on the "master" (your exisiting OBi110) can be used by the "slave" (a new OBi100). Both OBi's ring with an incoming call to the "master" OBi. Numbers are dialled in the same format from the slave OBi as from the master OBi.

Slave OBi 200654321:

Set up a speed dial using the master OBi number in this format:
pp(ob200123456) in this example I am using speed dial slot 3.

Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > DigitMap:
(***S0|**0S0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|**[1-8]1xxxxxxxxxxS0|**9(Mpp)|@@.)

Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > OutboundCallRoute
{***:aa2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(<3*>(@@.)):pp}

Master OBi 200123456:

Assumes that Primary Line is SP1 Service.

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{(Mcot)>(Msp1):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>**0:aa},{(Mcot):aa},{ph}

User Settings -> User Defined DigitMap X:
Label: cot
DigitMap: (200654321|290xxxxxx|etc...)

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{ph,pp(ob200654321)}

Notes:

The slave OBi does not have access to 911 using the above setup. The slave can be anywhere in the world, so it might be confusing. 911 could be added for the slave if required.

Outgoing CallerID will always be your GV number from either OBi. Incoming CallerID will be received correctly at either OBi as the OBiTALK network passes it between the two OBi devices transparently.

The slave does depend entirely upon the OBiTALK network for all outgoing and incoming calls as they are made via the master OBi. Its configuration can be changed if you wish it to also have its own number.

bergman

ianobi,

your master/salve solution sounds like what I want to do. can you simplify the configuration a little? Do I make these entries via the web interface? Can I just copy/paste and replace the "x" with the GV number?
Mark

Quote from: ianobi on July 23, 2013, 02:16:09 AM
Bergman,

This is a version of a master/slave setup where all services on the "master" (your exisiting OBi110) can be used by the "slave" (a new OBi100). Both OBi's ring with an incoming call to the "master" OBi. Numbers are dialled in the same format from the slave OBi as from the master OBi.

Slave OBi 200654321:

Set up a speed dial using the master OBi number in this format:
pp(ob200123456) in this example I am using speed dial slot 3.

Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > DigitMap:
(***S0|**0S0|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|**[1-8]1xxxxxxxxxxS0|**9(Mpp)|@@.)

Master OBi 200123456:

Assumes that Primary Line is SP1 Service.

{(Mcot)>(Msp1):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>**0:aa},{(Mcot):aa},{ph}

User Settings -> User Defined DigitMap X:
DigitMap: (200654321|290xxxxxx|etc...)

Voice Services > SP1 Service > X_InboundCallRoute:
{ph,pp(ob200654321)}

Notes:

The slave OBi does not have access to 911 using the above setup. The slave can be anywhere in the world, so it might be confusing. 911 could be added for the slave if required.

Outgoing CallerID will always be your GV number from either OBi. Incoming CallerID will be received correctly at either OBi as the OBiTALK network passes it between the two OBi devices transparently.

The slave does depend entirely upon the OBiTALK network for all outgoing and incoming calls as they are made via the master OBi. Its configuration can be changed if you wish it to also have its own number.

ianobi

Mark,

QuoteCan I just copy/paste and replace the "x" with the GV number?

Leave all the "x" as they are. The GV number does not need inserting anywhere.

Do not use the local web page to make the changes. Select your OBi in OBi Dashboard, then OBi Expert Configuration, then Enter OBi Expert. In each case where you want to change a value, first uncheck both the boxes to the right of that value and leave them unchecked. When you have finished making changes on each page, press submit and wait a few minutes for the OBi to reboot.

If a value is not mentioned in this setup, then leave it as it is. If a value is mentioned, then delete the existing and replace with the value stated above.

Don't forget to set up the speed dial for the slave OBi. This is done from the menu on the dashboard. Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page after you have input the speed dial.

This should be a straight "cut & paste" operation. The only changes you need to insert are put your real OBi110 OBiTALK number where you see 200123456 and you real OBi100 OBiTALK number where you see 200654321.

In the OBi110 If you look in User Settings -> User Defined DigitMap you will see Map1 is in use. Create a new one using Map2. It must contain at least your slave OBi100 number and usually contains the local OBI softphone number if you want to use the softphone:

User Settings -> User Defined DigitMap2:
DigitMap: (200654321|290123456)

Don't worry if things don't work first time – none of the changes should stop your present set up on your OBi110 from working. Ask questions as required. If it does work first time, then give yourself the big cigar   8) 

bergman

ianobi - Thanks for the clarification. I will try this out in a few days when the second OBI arrives.

bergman

The Master/Slave configuration posted by ianobi works great. One caveat - this config assumes you have set up each OBI on a separate account. In my case,  I set them up on one account for simpler management so some adjustments were required. I'll let ianobi document the required settings.  My advice to anyone trying this is to set up both OBI devices in one location and conduct your testing before deploying to separate physical locations. This made my work much simpler and prevented any possible missed calls since I already had one device live.

ianobi

As bergman points out, there is a potential problem with this setup if you put both OBi devices in the same account. This is because the OBiTALK Portal puts both OBi devices in each others' Circle of Trust. This inserts extra and unwanted rules in both devices OBiTALK InboundCallRoutes.

The solution is to delete the unwanted extra rules so the master OBi has the OBiTALK InboundCallRoute as described in Reply #2 and the slave OBi has an OBiTALK InboundCallROute of simply "ph".

dhartman0172

Thanks for posting the config.  I used it to setup a master (obi200) and slave (obi100).  This seems to be working great.

Out of curiosity, what part of the config points to speeddial number three?  Is it the slave outboundcalls Route?

Currently, like bergman I have both devices in the same account and both device's SP1 pointing to my GV account.  Prior to any modifications I make out bound call from each device independent of the other.  With the master/slave config if the master (OBI200) needs to be connected to the network in order to use the slave. 

Is there a way to modify the config so incoming calls would ring both devices, but out going calls would go through SP1?  It would be nice to have the slave work for outgoing calls even if the master was not on the network.

Thanks.

David

ianobi

QuoteOut of curiosity, what part of the config points to speeddial number three?  Is it the slave outboundcalls Route?

Yes. This rule {(<3*>(@@.)):pp} is saying match any alphanumeric characters, prepend with 3* and send out on trunk OBiTALK 1. The Obihai servers translate 3* as meaning speed dial number 3 and send the alphanumeric characters to the master OBi. In the master OBi the OBiTALK InboundCallRoute matches anything it receives and routes it the same as if you were dialling from the master OBi Phone Port.

To be absolutely correct for you, we should take this:

and modify it to suit an OBi200. The original is based on the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute of an OBi110. If you only use sp1 and sp2, then you probably won't notice any problems.

QuoteIs there a way to modify the config so incoming calls would ring both devices, but out going calls would go through SP1?  It would be nice to have the slave work for outgoing calls even if the master was not on the network.

One of the original reasons for this config was that two OBi devices cannot be registered to one GV account at the same time. I don't use GV, but I'm assuming this is still true. You could have a separate GV account for the slave. In this case simply put all the slave OBi100 settings back to default and calls from the slave will go out on its sp1. Incoming calls to the master will still ring both OBi devices.

Shale

Quote from: ianobi on October 21, 2013, 09:00:53 AM

QuoteIs there a way to modify the config so incoming calls would ring both devices, but out going calls would go through SP1?  It would be nice to have the slave work for outgoing calls even if the master was not on the network.

One of the original reasons for this config was that two OBi devices cannot be registered to one GV account at the same time. I don't use GV, but I'm assuming this is still true. You could have a separate GV account for the slave. In this case simply put all the slave OBi100 settings back to default and calls from the slave will go out on its sp1. Incoming calls to the master will still ring both OBi devices.

There appears to be a way to use the same GV account using the OBi202s and I think OBi200s, but not the OBi100 or OBi110.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6669.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4843.0

azrobert

You can define the same GV account on both OBi's and outbound will calls work from either device.

The problem is with inbound calls. The OBi that connects last to GV will receive inbound calls. This can be corrected by forking inbound calls on both OBis to the other device, so it doesn't matter which device receives the call.

There are a couple reasons to use this setup. The path for an outbound call on the slave is routed over the OBitalk network to the master and then to GV. With this setup outbound calls goes directly to GV.  If there is a power or internet outage at the master site the slave will also be down.