News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What is the latest firmware version?

Started by Clive, July 25, 2013, 12:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

Hi, I have an OBi100 that has recently gone 'faulty'. I've eventually managed to get it working again but am a little confused as it's showing firmware version 1.3.0 (build 2776) yet all my other OBis are showing build 2774.

The original problem was no audio either way on any call yet there was a dial tone. Deleted the box from my OBitalk portal, reset it via the reset button, added it back in to OBitalk but still no audio.

This time I deleted it from OBitalk and accessed the box directly, reset it then added my settings and it started working. Added it to my OBitalk page but it would not respond to remote access commands.

It was at this point I was just looking through the expert settings when I noticed the firmware version number. Checked the rest and they are all on build 2774 and no update warning beside them.

I've downloaded the latest firmware from the OBi website, installed that and we are still on build 2776 so am confused.

This brings me to my questions - what is the current firmware version that we should be using?
How did it update to a later version without any intervention?

Huib

When you added your OBi to the portal it did an auto firmware update. I had the same experience last week. Check the Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update section on your OBi, NOT through the OBiTALK portal. The portal hides what they add on your OBi (very sneaky). You'll see a rule that says if your firmware is below 2776 it will auto update to 2776.

So it appears that 2776 is the latest firmware although people have downgraded to 2774 because of issues with the 2776 version. I myself downgraded after the unwanted upgrade and removed my device from the portal because I don't need OBi deciding for me what I need or want.

Clive

Thanks for your answer Huib.
That leaves me with a question. All my boxes are set up identical, apart from the account registration details, so why has only this box updated to 2776 and not the rest.

Oh, how do I downgrade the firmware.

Thanks

Rick

Just a note on firmware in general, regardless of whether it's an OBi, a router, or something else.

Firmware updates provide fixes or enhancements.  Firmware updates can brick your device if during the update power goes out or something goes wrong.  Sometimes firmware updates are difficult to reverse, i.e. downgrade.  Sometimes firmware updates fix one thing and break another.

OBi agreed back in 2012 to a) explain firmware updates, i.e. what changed and b) to post the update notification into a thread that would allow us to be alerted to an update by following that thread and getting an email that the thread had a new post on it.  They haven't done either for 2776.  Since Sherman is apparently still with OBi, this is not acceptable, he agreed to it.

I have 2774 on my OBi 110.  It is working to my satisfaction.  I'm not applying any update without OBi explaining exactly what it does. 

Huib

Clive, I also have an OBi on the portal that's been there for a while and is still at 2774 and does not have the auto update rule. So I'm lead to believe that whatever is on the portal is not forced to upgrade (yet) but if you add a new device it will upgrade the firmware.

Re. downgrading: check the forum, it's been documented somewhere. High level: download the firmware file, and via the admin menu on the OBi you feed it that file.

Clive

Having logged in to the obi I find the update rule if it's below 2776 which is very naughty sneaking that in somehow whilst in service.

I've just checked this with another obi from the same order batch in stock and that had 2774 but immediately updated itself to 2776.

I've also been checking the boxes out in service and some have already updated themselves to 2776 which is worrying because obi have taken it upon themselves to force updates on us.

I understand why they might want to do this but for the reasons given by Huib, I don't want that to happen. I'm now concerned that my clients are going to start having strange problems caused by this unstable update, and future updates.

I'm quite worried about commissioning my remaining boxes because they will be automatically update to 2776 without my permission. This crappy release process has the potential to destroy a fledgling business.

The annoying thing about this is in order to switch off the auto update feature, I have to visit all my clients to turn it off because this switch is not available in obitalk.

Is obi going to recompense me for this - I don't think so!

**UPDATE** 27/8

Just had my second client box go down because of this update. A 200 mile round trip to sort out an obi induced problem. This is not acceptable.

I had to install the downgrade manually and remove the update rule but at least it's working again.

If obi ever read this, I would like all my boxes returning to 2774 until I decide to update them please.

Rick, it is obvious that this latest update doesn't fix anything, at least not in my boxes. I'm just waiting for the next one to go down.

** UPDATE ** 29/8

AND 2 more boxes to sort out - 100 mile round trip.

What I find astonishing is that there is no mention about update 2776 in Obi's sticky update post.

Perhaps they thought it didn't need announcing as we are getting it whether we wanted it or not. I don't know and am at a total loss as to what to think.

Huib

You can use that same auto update rule that you found in the OBi to downgrade. Adjust it and via the portal deploy it to the OBi's.

ProfTech

I have been using 2776 for quite a while. Obi installed it at my request because I was having unknown crash issues with 2774. I thought it helped for a while but then the crashes re-occurred. After a while longer & reading some other posts about Callcentric I changed my Callcentric setup to Disable Proxy Server Redundancy and Secondary registration. Note if you do this it is required to make sure DNSSrvAutoPrefix is checked to keep everything working correctly. Once I did this the crashes have stopped and I can't see any other differences in operation between 2774 and 2776. YMMV