News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

T-Mobile to Google Voice porting got struck for last two weeks

Started by Matt113, July 30, 2013, 05:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt113

I know just from the subject it is obvious this topic does not belong here and it should be addressed with Google voice... unfortunately for the last two weeks my T-Mobile to Google Voice porting got struck with the same status saying "porting in progress", any number of posting to their forums hasn't resulted in even one reply (there is no customer service for GV) hence thought of asking here...

I bought Obi100 from Amazon and starting this porting process from Vonage to T-Mobile and then to GV. First part went without any issues and i got struck at the second part... any suggestions on how to resolve this... TIA

SteveInWA

I assume you've gone back to the porting page at GV, and checked to see if you have any error messages waiting for you to resolve?  Unfortunately, posting over in the Porting section of the GV forum is your only recourse.  Matt from Google usually tries to get to these posts in batches, but he's been out on vacation.  Hopefully you'll get an answer.

I've gotten to the point now of not recommending porting into GV, because of the high percentage of ports that get hung up somehow.

carl

The very same thing happened to me. After several weeks I had to cancel the port. I called the CC company to reverse the charge before I did. I got my money back.
Check whether Localphone would be willing to port your number. Sometimes they are, sometimes not, but they will tell you. It's 99c/month for "unlimited" i8ncoming calls. You can still do your outgoing calls via GV, although Localphone charges only 0.5 c/ min for US mainland destinations.

Matt113

Quote from: dircom on July 30, 2013, 06:03:32 PM
more info needed

I bought Obi100 from Amazon
Signed-up for Google account
Signed-up for Google Voice and got a new Google voice number
Configured Obi100 based on the instruction from the Obi website to use with my new GV number
Call quality was same as my vonage i.e., excellent I have 15/5 internet speed
Left like that for 3 weeks for me to test the new Obi100 with GV
I was very satisfied with the call quality except for couple of calls but that happens with VOIP calls
Now, I had 7 days left in my Vonage billing cycle, went to T-Mobile store bought a SIM
activated T-mobile SIM in my unlocked cell phone using online link
and requested to port my number from vonage
It took nearly 6 days as Vonage was holding my request based on in-correct ZIP
I called Vonage and everything went well and the number got ported to T-Mobile
Now I initiated a GV Port-in and paid $20, it threw an error based when I entered 1234 for my last 4 digits of SSN (I did not have SSN stored with t-mobile being pre-paid) and second time I entered 0000 and it went through and gave me a status of Porting is pending....
That's all it's been like that for 2 weeks
I wrote in there GV forum 4 times and I address Matt in his thread 3 times and contacted Google Wallet 2 times.... not even once anyone from forum or Google wallet address or responding to my plea...
After two weeks I wrote about this in this forum...

Matt113

Yes, it status says "Porting in Progress"..it's been like that for 2 weeks..Matt hasn't responded in the forum...now I am seriously thinking about going back to Vonage or buy Ooma (it's expensive to buy and porting charge and monthly taxes, it may be better to go back to Vonage)

If GV is not going to have real customer support then they should not charge $20 for the porting ... it is ridiculous to charge for something and not have a way to address the issue..

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 30, 2013, 07:02:45 PM
I assume you've gone back to the porting page at GV, and checked to see if you have any error messages waiting for you to resolve?  Unfortunately, posting over in the Porting section of the GV forum is your only recourse.  Matt from Google usually tries to get to these posts in batches, but he's been out on vacation.  Hopefully you'll get an answer.

I've gotten to the point now of not recommending porting into GV, because of the high percentage of ports that get hung up somehow.

Matt113

Unfortunately there is no option to cancel from their website, secondly it looks like my number is kind of in thin air as I don't get it to work through T-mobile nor through GV; only other GV callers are able to contact us, so I am thinking only way for us is to wait for GV to fix the number porting... meantime I will try with other providers to see if they can successfully port my number... very frustrating ....

Quote from: carl on July 30, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
The very same thing happened to me. After several weeks I had to cancel the port. I called the CC company to reverse the charge before I did. I got my money back.
Check whether Localphone would be willing to port your number. Sometimes they are, sometimes not, but they will tell you. It's 99c/month for "unlimited" i8ncoming calls. You can still do your outgoing calls via GV, although Localphone charges only 0.5 c/ min for US mainland destinations.

RFord

If you sign in to your GV account, does the ported number show up?  Maybe the port did go through.  Try enter your gmail account info on your OBI device (if you have one) to see if you can receive incoming calls to your OBi device and make outgoing calls to your cell phone.  What number shows up on the receiving end what an outgoing call is made?

Matt113

"Signed-up for Google Voice and got a new Google voice number
Configured Obi100 based on the instruction from the Obi website to use with my new GV number"

When I sign-in I see the number originally assigned my GV; and I see a status at the top of the page saying I have porting request in progress.
When someone calls me their calls get dropped the moment they complete dialing my number (my number that I am trying to port-in) but when someone already using GV calls me in my port-in number my OBI phone is rining.
lastly when I call-out users get my Original google assigned number in their caller id.

Long story short only GV users are able to call us from the port-in number

Quote from: RFord on July 31, 2013, 10:04:05 AM
If you sign in to your GV account, does the ported number show up?  Maybe the port did go through.  Try enter your gmail account info on your OBI device (if you have one) to see if you can receive incoming calls to your OBi device and make outgoing calls to your cell phone.  What number shows up on the receiving end what an outgoing call is made?

Shale

Quote from: Matt113 on July 31, 2013, 02:02:44 PM
Long story short only GV users are able to call us from the port-in number.
I may have missed it, but I think that may be the first time you have posted that information.
It sounds as if the process is coming to a close.

On the other hand, if you have had that symptom for more than 2 days, I would check https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!categories/voice/porting-a-number-to-google-voice

Smee

Quote from: Matt113 on July 31, 2013, 09:54:49 AM
Yes, it status says "Porting in Progress"..it's been like that for 2 weeks..Matt hasn't responded in the forum...now I am seriously thinking about going back to Vonage or buy Ooma (it's expensive to buy and porting charge and monthly taxes, it may be better to go back to Vonage)

If GV is not going to have real customer support then they should not charge $20 for the porting ... it is ridiculous to charge for something and not have a way to address the issue..

If after posting to the GV forums, you don't get an answer (Which is more than likely)  Go on over and contact Mat directly via Google+ and see if that helps.  Add the link to your google voice forum post so he can see details related to your account.  He can only see details about your account if you have posted there.  You can find him at: Redacted By Smee

Smee

Matt113

After writing, waiting and addressing Matt several times in the span of two weeks I did not get any response hence I cancelled the port-in request by contacting my credit card company. I may look for other options other than GV before thinking about porting to GV. Luckily my phone number is still with T-Mobile and I added more funds to keep it active and alive for next 3 months. Only part I did not do is contacting Matt through Google+

Thanks to everyone here...will write back about my experience.

SteveInWA

Smee, would you please delete your post, with the link to Matt B's Google+ page?  We (Matt and the Top Contributors such as me, with access to Google resources) can better address these issues and look up people's accounts, if they post on the Google Voice forum, in the Porting section.  Thanks!

Smee

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 05, 2013, 05:26:23 PM

Smee, would you please delete your post, with the link to Matt B's Google+ page?  We (Matt and the Top Contributors such as me, with access to Google resources) can better address these issues and look up people's accounts, if they post on the Google Voice forum, in the Porting section.  Thanks!

I have removed the link, not the post. 

Take care...

Smee