News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 and wifi

Started by kwami, August 06, 2013, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwami

I've been using an Obi100 for several years, but now have wifi only.  I'd like to plug the Obi into an ethernet port in my computer:  I won't be here long enough for it to be worthwhile to buy more equipment.  My PC runs Win XP and has a wifi antenna plugged into a USB port.  Is it possible to connect the Obi through my computer? 

Thanks!

Rick

Nope.

Edit: I'm very surprised this work with ICS.  Never thought it would.  I'd also be surprised if the OP can successfully set it up to work consistently with computers and ports sleeping, but perhaps I will be surprised.

Of course, you can make calls out on GV without a phone, and you can receive calls to your PC, so if you have a PC on to make this work do you really need an OBi and a phone?

Shale

Read up on "connection sharing" for Windows XP. This is not an OBi thing. It is a Windows thing.

I have never implemented it myself. Find a Windows group if you have questions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K-DrCIXHwA
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

I don't know if you need XP Professional or what. You will need to search.

This may or may not work for you.

hwittenb

I just tested it with my WinXP laptop.  It has built-in wifi, not a usb dongle, but I wouldn't think that is a significant difference. 

If your WinXP system gets the internet thru wifi, and you setup the system with internet connection sharing as outlined here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
I can cable my OBi to the computer's ethernet port and make calls OK.  I didn't test receiving calls.  The XP system gives the OBi an ip address on its local network.

TrapDoor

On your XP machine, go to network connections and create a bridge between your WiFi and ethernet connections. Next plug your Obi adapter into the ethernet port and you should be good to go. This assumes your WiFi is connected to an access point somewhere.

giqcass

I have done this on VISTA.  I thought it worked on XP but haven't tried it.  When I Googled internet sharing for Windows XP I found multiple tutorials so this should work fine.   I know you said it's not worth getting any new equipment but a cheap wireless router that can run DDRwrt works excellent in this type of application and it can be come in handy on your next network.

EDIT:  If you have problems you may need to adjust power settings on the laptop so it doesn't completely turn off or go to sleep.  The computer going into sleep mode may stop incoming calls or delay the phones ringing.  That's something you may have to test for yourself.  Wake on lan is another feature that might have an effect.  
Long live our new ObiLords!

kwami

Yikes!  It's Win7, not XP.  Sorry!

I've searched for similar things for Win7, but, as usual, MS's description of Win7 does not match the actual OS I have.  (For example, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/using-ics-internet-connection-sharing -- there is no "Manage network connections" in my OS.)  I found a couple instructional videos on YouTube which do match my Win7, but only managed to delete all my internet connections, and had to rebuild them manually.  (The video cut out partway through as the connection was deleted.)  That's happened twice now, and I'm afraid I might do worse if I continue.  Does anyone here know of a reliable site for this?

Thanks, and sorry for the mixup.

hwittenb

This is what my Win7 "Help" screen says about internet connection sharing (ICS):

Enabling ICS
To enable ICS, on your host computer:

Click to open Network Connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

Notes
The Sharing tab won't be available if you have only one network connection.

You can choose whether to select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.

Optionally, to allow other network users to use services running on your network, click Settings, and then select the services you want to allow.

When you enable ICS, your local area network (LAN) connection gets a new static IP address and configuration, so you'll need to reestablish any TCP/IP connections between your host computer and the other network computers.

To test your network and Internet connection, see if you can share files between computers and make sure each computer can reach a website.

I believe that is also how I did it on my WinXP laptop.  When they say "click to open network connections" that is in the Control Panel.

azrobert

kwami

Thanks so much.  It's working perfectly now.  Haven't tried the bridge, but it looks like that would be a good idea too.