News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IP Address is not available

Started by Knighty2k, April 11, 2011, 09:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knighty2k

I have Netgear Router MR 814 v2 connected to Motorola Cable Modem (WAN), OBi 110 (Local LAN 3), Desktop (Local LAN 4). WAN, Local LAN 3 & 4 are blinking green. Desktop has internet access. Obi 110 has two flashing green (The OBi is looking for DHCP IP address & there is data activity on the OBi Ethernet port).

***1 "Basic Network Status: Your IP Address is not available, Your DHCP is enabled"
***2 "Advanced Network Status: Your Primary DNS Server is not available. Your backup DNS Server is your primary....."
***3 "DHCP current value is enabled. Press 1 to enter new value. Press 2 to set default value"
***4  "IP Address current value is not available Press 1 to enter new value. Press 2 to set default value"

My OBi 110 doesn't get IP address. Please help

RonR

There have been a few problems with a few routers.  You might try connecting the OBi directly to your cable modem to see if it's able to get an IP address via DHCP there.  Reboot both the cable modem and the OBi after making the connection.  If you're successful getting an IP address (***1), then update your OBi's firmware using ***6.  Then try reconnecting through your router and see if things are any better.

QBZappy

Knighty2k

Hi,

You might try forcing an IP on the OBi using the phone. See this thread. Step 1 of 4 forces an IP onto the OBi.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=157.0

Although without DHCP, I'm not certain about the results.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Knighty2k

Quote from: RonR on April 11, 2011, 10:18:07 AM
There have been a few problems with a few routers.  You might try connecting the OBi directly to your cable modem to see if it's able to get an IP address via DHCP there.  Reboot both the cable modem and the OBi after making the connection.  If you're successful getting an IP address (***1), then update your OBi's firmware using ***6.  Then try reconnecting through your router and see if things are any better.
Got IP address for OBi 174.97.220.120. ***6 gives me invalid option error. Didn't find steps to update firmware in Admin Guide (except web based update on page 31, which I can't do w/o router connected at same time). Still doesn't work after reconnecting through router.

RonR

Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 11:41:26 AMGot IP address for OBi 174.97.220.120.

That's very good.  That says your OBi is operational and the problem is most likely a compatibility issue with your router.

Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 11:41:26 AM***6 gives me invalid option error.

Oops!   A chicken and egg problem here.   :)

The ***6 update feature wasn't added until recently, so you can't use it until you get updated.

Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 11:41:26 AMDidn't find steps to update firmware in Admin Guide.

It's covered on page 31, but you still need to get access to the OBi first.

Do you have another router you could substitute temporarily, or another LAN you could temporariliy connect the OBi to long enough to do a firmware update?

QBZappy

Knighty2k,

Now that you have an IP for the OBi, you can download the new firmware and update it yourself. By using the OBi web page.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on April 11, 2011, 11:52:23 AM
Knighty2k,

Now that you have an IP for the OBi, you can download the new firmware and update it yourself. By using the OBi web page.
But he no longer has a PC and browser connected to the Internet.  The OBi is the only thing connected to his cable modem and the Internet.

QBZappy

Knighty2k

Quote from: RonR on April 11, 2011, 11:51:32 AM
Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 11:41:26 AMGot IP address for OBi 174.97.220.120.

That's very good.  That says your OBi is operational and the problem is most likely a compatibility issue with your router.

Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 11:41:26 AM***6 gives me invalid option error.

Oops!   A chicken and egg problem here.   :)

The ***6 update feature wasn't added until recently, so you can't use it until you get updated.

Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 11:41:26 AMDidn't find steps to update firmware in Admin Guide.

It's covered on page 31, but you still need to get access to the OBi first.

Do you have another router you could substitute temporarily, or another LAN you could temporariliy connect the OBi to long enough to do a firmware update?

Don't have another LAN or router. Do have a 5 Port Network Mini Switch EZ500-S.
I just got OBi from Amazon couple of days ago after it being out of stock for many days and still it doesn't have most to date firmware.
What to do now?

RonR

Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 12:10:09 PMDon't have another LAN or router. Do have a 5 Port Network Mini Switch EZ500-S.
I just got OBi from Amazon couple of days ago after it being out of stock for many days and still it doesn't have most to date firmware.
The firmware has been updated a couple of times very recently, and it's not uncommon for manufacturing to not change as rapidly.

It's worth a shot to put the 5 Port Network Mini Switch EZ500-S in series with the OBi and see if that makes it happy.

QBZappy

Knighty2k,

This works I just tested it.

While the computer has internet download the firmware.

1) Connect your computer to the internet and download latest firmware. Disconnect computer network card. Your computer network card will default to 169.x.x.x
In a command prompt type in IPCONFIG to confirm the new IP and subnet mask of network card.

2) Go to network properties of the network card in you computer and force the IP and subnet values. (I'm not certain you need to do this part) ie  "Use the following IP address"

3) Connect OBi to the network card of the computer

4) Use phone to force an IP and subnet mask on the OBi

***1 "Basic Network Status: Your IP Address is not available, Your DHCP is enabled"
***2 "Advanced Network Status: Your Primary DNS Server is not available. Your backup DNS Server is your primary"
***3 "DHCP current value is enabled. Press 1 to enter new value. Press 2 to set default value"
***4  "IP Address current value is not available Press 1 to enter new value. Press 2 to set default value"

5) Use browser to connect to OBi page. You will be able to update the firmware. Worked for me just now.

You just need to force the IP (change the last segment to something different than the network card)  and the same subnet mask. You should be able to view the OBi page after.

Sorry I could not be more detailed.

Knighty2k

Quote from: RonR on April 11, 2011, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: Knighty2k on April 11, 2011, 12:10:09 PMDon't have another LAN or router. Do have a 5 Port Network Mini Switch EZ500-S.
The firmware has been updated a couple of times very recently, and it's not uncommon for manufacturing to not change as rapidly.

It's worth a shot to put the 5 Port Network Mini Switch EZ500-S in series with the OBi and see if that makes it happy.
Didn't make it happy

QBZappy

Knighty2k,

Hi
If you have internet and can download firmware onto your computer, you could have that OBi flashed in 10 minutes if you follow the steps I suggested. Otherwise you need to try it with another router.