News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I do this?

Started by barnam, August 08, 2013, 07:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnam

Hi,
I'm gradually getting started with the ObiTalk system and I'm willing to expose my ignorance by asking if this scenario is possible:

I've got a 202 properly hooked up and making/receiving calls via GV. I assume that I can't route my physical (telco) phone line through the 202's second line connection, but that I could somehow use a 110 - with it's "telco" line - to send incoming telco calls through the autoattendant prompts on the 202.

Among other things, I would also like to restrict all outgoing calls to the analog telco line  - to avoid the security risk of having my outgoing system hijacked to make expensive calls to North Korea (trust me: it's happened).

Is my understanding of the architecture more or less on target and are these things actually possible?

Thanks!

ianobi

It is possible, but quite complex. Have a look at OBiLINE - this allows you to connect your telco line to an OBi202:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6382.msg40411#msg40411

It's very new, so we have no feedback on the forum yet regarding voice quality etc. However, it's likely to be better than trying to link an OBi110 to an OBi202. If you go this route, then maybe you could provide some feedback about OBiLINE.

Shale

With OBiLine, you could make your OBi202 connect to the PSTN. https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6382.0

Alternatively you could trade your OBi202 for an OBi110 as a private deal. Since your OBi202 is more valuable, you might be able to work out the other guy paying postage, or some such. A straight trade would get a more eager taker, especially if you could make the swap locally.

It is not clear why you think the PSTN line would be more resistant to expensive calls. I would think it to be the opposite... you can limit your GV costs by not over-funding your GV account. Do you mean "I would also like to restrict all (outgoing calls to [only using] the analog telco line)" vs "I would also like to restrict (all outgoing calls [that try to go] to the analog telco line)"

Otherwise, your post seemed to be correct. Ideally, define what you would like, look through previous dialing string posts, and post your proposed solution together with your description of what you are trying to achieve.

barnam

Thanks for both replies about the OBILINE. I'll look into it. I would imagine that it would be a better option than simply forwarding the existing pstn line through the 202.
My plan was to restrict outgoing calls to exclusively use only the pstn line. However, what you are saying about limiting funds to the GV account does make sense.
I'll update the post with any new results.
Thanks,