News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble setting up Obi with Verizon Fios

Started by cantcall, August 15, 2013, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cantcall

Hello,

I'm having problems with the set up of my Obi. I believe the problem is with the Verizon Fios Router I have but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Here is what I have:

- Obi is powered up with a solid green light
- phone line from Obi to my phone (vtech cordless)
- ethernet line from Obi to router (Actiontec M1424WR Rev. I)

I have no dial tone and I can't make the **9-222-222-222 call. Nothing happens. I know the FAQ say to change the firewall settings. I messed with them and it looks as if the Obi is listed in the router settings. I also know that the FAQ also say that with the Actiontec routers you need to disable the firewall completely. My router settings do not allow me to do this.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to fix this or specific instructions on what to change with my router? I'm not 100% sure the settings I changed did anything and honestly am not too comfortable with turning off my firewall completely (I do want to protect my computer and home network!).

Thanks!! The Obi sounds like a great item if/when it works...

Shale

Quote from: cantcall on August 15, 2013, 07:41:59 PMI have no dial tone
That is the big symptom. You don't need internet connectivity to get dialtone, since that is generated by the OBi.

Make sure the phone is plugged into the/a Phone jack. Try a different phone cord. Try a different phone.

What are the lights on your OBi doing (color and flash/solid), and which OBi do you have?

cantcall

Thanks for the help. We have tried different phones and lines with no luck. We also factory reset the Obi (a few times). Its the Obi 100.

Lights:
power - solid green
internet - blinking green
phone - no light

I'm thinking that my Obi could be defective and I might need to return it and get another one.