News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 100 not working after 3 days

Started by tommyarmour, April 12, 2011, 08:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyarmour

I have had my OBI 100 for approx 3 days and it was extremely easy to setup and was working right out of the box. This morning I tried to make a call from it and nothing. I noticed the phone said no line on the screen of the phone. These are the steps I took trying to diagnose the problem.

1. Unplugged the Obi 100 for 2 minutes and plugged it back in(essentially rebooting the device).
2. Logged into my router and looked for  the ip of the obi(couldnt find it)
3. Tried to ping the ip I used the day I got when I updated the firmware. 100% packet loss on that ip. Didnt figure that would work anyway due to the fact that there was no obi 100 on my local area network.
4. Tried a full power cycle of all devices. Modem, Router, and Obi 100.
5. Changed out new ethernet that came with the obi 100, and changed the telephone line.

I do not believe there is any other step I can take to remedy my situation. I simply cannot connect to the obi 100 through my network.

The lights on the obi 100 blink like this, the red power light stays on for about 7 seconds, then I can see the router blinking the port I have the obi 100 connected to, and then the red power light comes back on the obi for about 5-7 seconds, then the router blinks the connected port for a few seconds, then the power light on the obi 100 again. The middle ethernet light on the obi 100 blinks green for a fraction of a second on the obi after the red power light turns off.

Can anyone think of anything else I can possibly try to get this to work before doing a RMA.

tommyarmour

Ok I am not sure what happened but I took all the lines out of the obi device(ethernet, phone jack, and power cord) I put the device on my desk and started to inspect inside the plug jacks for bent connecters of whatever might be out of place in the sockets. Found nothing unusual went and plugged the obi 100 back into all the original wiring and bingo it worked, the unit may of been getting hot it seemed a bit warm and smelled the normal cable box electrical type smell.

Who knows really, if this happens again possibly my specific unit is getting to warm or overheating I dont know but the prolonged time frame of keeping it unplugged from everything seemed to of did the trick.

RonR

If it happens again and if your modem supports DHCP (meaning it's not PPPoE), try temporarily connecting your OBi directly to the modem.  Power cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the connection.   If the OBi settles down, see if it works by calling **9 222 222 222.

SenorLee

The same thing happened to mine (but it was working for more than 3 days, maybe a month)
I connected to cable modem, the obi110 displayed the same behaviour.  Mine started doing this after I deleted my google voice accounts from the obi dash board.   Is there anything I can do the get it to revert to factory default settings?

RonR

Dial *** to enter the configuration menu.  Then select option 8.  Then press 1 when asked to confirm.