News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can a SIP IP Phone work if on Internet not LAN port

Started by walkerr, August 21, 2013, 01:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkerr

I followed these instructions to try and get my Gigaset N300A to work as a client of the Obi 202:

http://blog.obihai.com/2012/08/use-your-obi202-as-google-voice-gateway.html

After some headscratching, I realised the Gigaset is on my house LAN and is on the Internet segment, not the LAN segment of the Obi. Since the Gigaset is used to manage both POTS and other VoIp services, I'm loathe to move it to the LAN port and lose the direct management and access of these other VoIp services from the Gigaset, and easy control of service to handset mapping.

Is there any variation on the above article than can be made to work for a SIP gateway in the Internet side of the Obi?

QBZappy

walkerr,

Welcome.

Did you try port forwarding the service ports of the OBi to the OBi ip, or perhaps as an alternative strategy put the Gigaset inside the Lan and port forward those service ports?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

walkerr

Not being a huge expert with routers or VoIP I hadn't considered either of those.

I'm not really sold on connecting my Gigaset via the Obi. It serves both my house and home office voip and POTs lines, and is working very well. I'm loathe to disrupt that TBH, especially in a way I'll probably never remember/figure out how I did it later when things don't work.

How would port forwarding work in any other case - I understand the concept, but with nothing attached to the LAN connection on the Obi, what is being forward to where?

QBZappy

walkerr,

No need to connect Gigaset via the Obi202 router. You need to describe your topology. Do you control your router?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

walkerr

At the moment it's a very conventional setup:

ISP <- ADSL -> Draytek Router <- My LAN ->

The Obi202 and the Gigaset N300 are both connected to "My LAN". I have full control over both.

What I read in the Obi202 for setting up a proxy so the Obi can be a SIP server to a Cisco IP phone sounded pretty close, but in that example the SIP phone had to go into the "Obi LAN" port.

The port forwarding makes sense - just not 100% sure which ports, and also struggling a bit to get my head around how port forwarding actually works if there is nothing connected to the "Obi LAN" ethernet connection. I guess that's the point right, something coming in on port 5060 on the "Obi INTERNET" ethernet slot, gets port forward internally to the "Obi LAN" ethernet slot and magically appears as if it arrived from that subnet even though nothing is actually attached to it?

Up to his point, I thought I understood port forwarding - I guess I didn't ;)

QBZappy

Quote from: walkerr on August 22, 2013, 12:13:58 AM
ISP <- ADSL -> Draytek Router <- My LAN ->

Quote from: walkerr on August 21, 2013, 01:49:46 AM
I'm loathe to move it to the LAN port and lose the direct management and access of these other VoIp services from the Gigaset,

Isn't the ADSL connected to the WAN port and both the OBi and Gigaset N300 to a lan port on the Draytek Router? What are the ip addresses of both units? Is the Draytek Router the dhcp server?

walkerr

The ADSL cable from my telco is connected to the Draytek yes. The draytek acts as DHCP server to all devices on "My LAN" (i.e. anything that sits on the internal lan side of the draytek).

The Obi202 has 2 ethernet jacks - one labelled INTERNET and one labelled LAN.

At present, I have the the one labelled INTERNET with a Cat5 connection into "My LAN", which is as described in Step 2 (B) of the obi setup. In that picture, although it is labelled INTERNET, it clearly shows that port connected to the internal network side of an Internet Router/Modem (in my case the draytek)

On the Obi "how to" for making the Obi act as a SIP server to a Cisco SIP IP handset though, it shows the Cisco going into the LAN port on the Obi, which at present in my setup has no cable in it at all. It also states this setup will only work if the Cisco is connected to the LAN port.

In my case, it's a Gigaset not a Cisco, and I don't want it moved off my internal lan and sitting behind the Obi if I can possibly avoid it.

Note that aside from trying to figure how to make the Obi work as a SIP server to a local IP phone on my subnet, the Obi seems to be working e.g. Google Voice is working fine, and if I pair my mobile phone to the Bluetooth dongle, the physical phone lines on the Obi ring when I get a call on my mobile.

QBZappy

walkerr,

Quote from: walkerr on August 22, 2013, 07:10:38 AM
At present, I have the the one labelled INTERNET with a Cat5 connection into "My LAN", which is as described in Step 2 (B) of the obi setup. In that picture, although it is labelled INTERNET, it clearly shows that port connected to the internal network side of an Internet Router/Modem (in my case the draytek)

Did you try connecting OBi202 LAN port to the Draytek router as well?
ie: Both OBi202 ports to router.

walkerr

Had wondered about that - main reason I hadn't tried it was a rather silly one. The 8 port switch near the Obi was full, so there wasn't a spare port.

Also wasn't sure how the Obi would cope with having both it's Ethernet cards on the same subnet. Seemed like it could get very confused. The device would have 2 different IP addrresses, but they'd both have the same subnet mask. How would it know know which one to route packets too?

TBH - it just didn't t feel like a normal config

QBZappy

Each Service Provider slot on the OBi uses a unique RTP port. It should find it automatically, or with the help of a Stun server or manually port forwarding those unique ports to the OBi ip address.

BTW did it work?

walkerr

Quote from: QBZappy on August 22, 2013, 08:16:37 AM
Each Service Provider slot on the OBi uses a unique RTP port. It should find it automatically, or with the help of a Stun server or manually port forwarding those unique ports to the OBi ip address.

BTW did it work?

Don't know yet - gonna have to find a bigger switch, or a spare cable from somewhere. At present I don't have a 2nd free slot on the internal lan to wire into the LAN port.

I get the unique ports aspect - it's how well the lower level router functionality inside the Obi handles more than one address on the same lan that i'm less sure it'll cope with.

QBZappy

Quote from: walkerr on August 22, 2013, 08:22:31 AM
it's how well the lower level router functionality inside the Obi handles more than one address on the same lan that i'm less sure it'll cope with.

I think you will need to set the OBi202 LAN port to run in Bridge mode.

walkerr

Quote from: QBZappy on August 22, 2013, 08:40:14 AM
Quote from: walkerr on August 22, 2013, 08:22:31 AM
it's how well the lower level router functionality inside the Obi handles more than one address on the same lan that i'm less sure it'll cope with.

I think you will need to set the OBi202 LAN port to run in Bridge mode.

Stole LAN cable from printer temporarily. Device still seems to work with 2 cables on same subnet i.e. I can make calls to test service on Google Voice fine.

Doesn't seem to help original problem though. Gigaset still not registering to the Obi

QBZappy

Plugging the Gigaset to the OBi202 LAN port (in bridge mode) should keep the Gigaset web browser available for configuration.

walkerr

My issue with plugging the Gigaset into the LAN side of the Obi202 isn't because of accessing it's browser config pages.

The Gigaset is my primary VoIP management device - it looks after 2 other VoIP services that I use for work, and which don't go through the Obi. I don't really want to have these routing through the Obi TBH if I can avoid it. The current setup is very reliable with the Gigaset, the Obi becomes an un-needed failure point on the path if it sits in the middle.

Shale

Trying to follow this makes me glassy-eyed. I don't know what the advantage of using the LAN port would be, but there are a lot of things I don't know.

I am wondering what would happen if you used  only the "Internet" (WAN) port of the OBi202 and
1. SP2/X_InboundCallRoute = {1001>:SP1} 
initially for testing. (add SIP scanner protection later)

2. Instead of
EXT 1/Proxy = 500111345.pnn.obihai.com:5061
use
EXT 1/Proxy = 192.168.0.202:5061
where 192.168.0.202 represents the IP address of the OBi202.

walkerr

TBH - I'm not exactly sure what the "500111345.pnn.obihai.com:5061" part is actually doing (ok, I get the port 5061 part)

I suspect the "500111345.pnn.obihai.com" is may be there to give the local SIP IP phone "something" to register against, in this case OBI's own servers.

Of course it could be the local Obi202 is screening that message when it comes through between LAN and Internet and doing some magic on it.

Shale

Your last sentence presents a theory that would explain why the LAN port would be needed.
My theory was that 500111345.pnn.obihai.com somehow turns into an IP address in a DNS-like action. I am not at all sure. Your registration idea makes sense, but note the "SP2/X_RegisterEnable = no (or unchecked)" bit.

You could set up things exactly as the document says as a test. If that works,

• then you could move the IP phone to the other side and try that along with and without other changes.
  • else you would know that any problem was not due to not using the OBI202 LAN port.

walkerr

Quote from: Shale on August 23, 2013, 06:44:52 AM
Your last sentence presents a theory that would explain why the LAN port would be needed.
My theory was that 500111345.pnn.obihai.com somehow turns into an IP address in a DNS-like action. I am not at all sure. Your registration idea makes sense, but note the "SP2/X_RegisterEnable = no (or unchecked)" bit.

You could set up things exactly as the document says as a test. If that works,

• then you could move the IP phone to the other side and try that along with and without other changes.
  • else you would know that any problem was not due to not using the OBI202 LAN port.

Might be worth a try - gonna involve a lot of crawling around in awkward spaces to get to the Gigaset kit to do this though, so likely to end up a slow time task.