News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VOIPo Change BYOD HT-702 to OBi202

Started by PeteMoss, August 22, 2013, 08:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteMoss

I am considering swapping my BYOD HT-702 with a OBi202 due to the higher REN capability which I am hoping will make my DirecTV CID OSD reliable. I like the VOIPo 2 line, same phone number I currently have using the HT-702. Will the OBi202 also support this VOIPo configuration? If so, is anyone with experience doing this with the OBi202 willing to share step by step procedures? Note that I already have another OBi202 I'm using with GV.  ??? THanks

drgeoff

I wonder why you think an ATA with a higher REN capability will help with a CID problem.  There is only a very tenuous relationship between the ringing voltage/current and the modem type signalling used for CID.  (The two are not on the line at the same time.)

PeteMoss

I wonder why you think it won't fix the problem. The DirecTV STB often ignored incoming calls. I concluded, and apparently correctly, that the ringing current from the HT702 was too low and the STB would not recognize the incoming call consistently. Though the REN 3 rating of the HT702 was not exceeded, the OBi202 is rated at REN 5 and the Obi power supply is rated at TWICE the amperage of the HT702's.  BTW, I activated the 202 yesterday and it did fix the problem. The cloned line operation is the same as the HT702 so that was never an issue which was the question I had hoped would be addressed.

Shale

Also, you can diddle with the ringing voltage to the phone a bit, if you like:

RingFrequency
   Ringer frequency in Hz (14 - 68) to apply to the PHONE port when ringing
   Default:20

RingVoltage
   Peak ringer voltage in volts (55 - 82) to apply to the PHONE port when ringing
   Default:70

RingWaveform
   Ringer waveform to apply to the PHONE port when ringing. Choices are Sinusoidal or Trapezoidal
   Default:Sinusoidal

PeteMoss

Correct Shale. I was going to increase the ringing voltage to 75 if I encountered continuing CID OSD issues. It's my understanding that the ring voltage maxes out at 85. I could not find any such adjustment on the HT-702. I'll be adding 2 new old stock Trimline 230s (REN: 0.4A) so I may have to crank up the voltage later. (An "A" REN is rated at 20 Hz so the default will be used).

Shale

As I understand it, there is some phone that does better with trapezoidal. That could be another thing to try, but it probably won't get that far. If the STB does not reliably detect the new ring either, then the STB might not be right.

PeteMoss

I would bet that the DirecTV STBs' phone interface is designed for POTS and therefore is sinusoidal. BTW, the HR24 STB CID/CNAM OSD is still working perfectly with the OBi202 (70V, 20 Hz, & Sinusoidal defaults). The newer phones should operate with either wave form since they probably trigger the ringer by applying a threshold voltage to the gate of a FET. However, the older WECO (Not Chinese) designed Trimline phones I have are definitely intended for sinusoidal ringing as that was the only signal available from the DCO(s) when designed. The REN "A" rating is for 20 Hz too.

Shale

Quote from: PeteMoss on August 30, 2013, 08:49:18 AM
I would bet that the DirecTV STBs' phone interface is designed for POTS and therefore is sinusoidal. .

You would think. But consider http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2451.0 and look at reply #4.

ianobi

Shale has a good point. You would think that DECT base units are designed to connect with POTS, but look here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6336.msg40145#msg40145

If you have problems, then it's worth a try!