News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - One short ring, then pause, then rings normally

Started by ryanschwartz, April 12, 2011, 01:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanschwartz

I've gotten my OBi100 set up and am able to make calls out with my google voice account. Incoming calls however, ring the phone once for a short ring, then stops ringing for about 10-15 seconds, then the phone rings again normally and I can answer the incoming call.

The ringing on the caller's side is normal throughout (sounds like it's ringing normally).

Any ideas what might be going on? I'm logged out of google voice/chat with the account set up on the OBi, and the account is set up to forward to chat.

RonR

ryanschwartz

Yup. Same thing. Short ring, then silence for 10-15 seconds, then ringing and I can answer the incoming call.

ryanschwartz

I've also set up my sipgate account as the second service provider, and it rings normally.

lhm.

Do you have Gmail open when this happens? If so close Gmail and test again.

ryanschwartz

From my first post in the thread:
QuoteI'm logged out of google voice/chat with the account set up on the OBi, and the account is set up to forward to chat.

lhm.

Oops missed that, have you made at least one call out from GV chat prior to connecting Obi?  If not, do so then retest.

ryanschwartz

Again, from the first post in the thread:
Quoteand am able to make calls out with my google voice account
:)

lhm.

"and am able to make calls out with my google voice account"

I can not discern from that statement as to whether the calls were made from GV web page, Obi, or Google Gmail call phone, aka chat. So, I say again "have you made at least one call out from GV chat prior to connecting Obi?  If not, do so then retest". Also reboot the Obi.

ryanschwartz

Yes, I've made the initial call via google voice, hence me saying "the account is set up to forward to chat". Without making that initial call out via the google voice interface that option is not available.

This is not an issue with me calling out via google voice, this is an issue where incoming calls to the OBi rings the phone a half ring, then stops, then rings after a delay. If I let the call continue to ring on the calling end, eventually the OBi phone rings and I'm able to accept the call.

I appreciate the interest, lhm., but if you don't have any ideas beyond the default FAQ stuff, please let someone else with some more experience pipe in.

Is anyone else seeing this issue, or is this something where I'm the only one seeing it?

jimates

What is the action of your other forwarding phone from google voice? Normally once the call comes into google the google voicemail picks up after 25 seconds. With a 15 second delay at the Obi I would think the call should go to voicemail before you answer it after it starts ringing again, unless you pick up immediately.

If you don't pick up after the ringing resumes what happens?

ryanschwartz

I have my other forwarding phone in google voice disabled. The forward to chat is the only forwarding 'phone' checked/enabled. The call timer on my test phone typically shows 18-20 seconds call time before the OBi starts ringing normally, so yes it's a small window.

I've reset the settings to factory defaults and done the google voice setup twice, same problem. Frustrating. :(

jimates

I would enable another forwarding phone to see if both receive the same results. Also since the Obi imitates gmail chat I would disable the Obi and see what reaction an incoming call gives in gmail.

Is this a new google voice number, or was it working OK prior to the introduction of the obi.

ryanschwartz

Ok, that was a good suggestion. What happens when I'm signed in to Gmail/Chat when I call the number with the OBi disabled is this: The Call popup appears right away (when the half ring would sound) and then there's the same delay before the actual incoming call prompt appears in Gmail/Chat to answer. If I leave the Call popup open and call again, there's a short blip of the incoming call prompt, then the delay, then it shows up.

So what I've tracked it down to is this: calling the google voice number from my Vonage phone, I get the short blip ring, then the delay. Calling from another cellphone, no delay. Confirmed with a second non-Vonage number as well - no delay, normal ringing pattern.

This sounds like something on the Google Voice side, since it only happens with a particular incoming number/provider (Vonage). Maybe someone with an OBi hooked up to a GV account would be willing to PM me your number so I can confirm this same behavior with my Vonage line calling your OBi/GV ?