News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ringing Incoming Calls and Google Chat in Gmail

Started by ruel, April 12, 2011, 02:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oremguy

RonR,

Thanks for the info. All I know is that I was unable to activate the SPs, the Obi servers seemed to be down (could not access ObiTALK), and as soon as the servers came up (I was able to access ObiTALK) the SPs showed up as connected. Maybe this was just a fluke. Any advice on what to do so that my phone rings?

RonR

oremguy.

Log into your Google Voice account and go to Voice Settings -> Phones.  Find the Google Chat phone entry and make sure the email address listed under it is what you're using as the OBi AuthUserName.  Make sure the checkbox in front of the Google Chat entry is checked.  Then click the Edit button below the email addres and set:

Voicemail Access: No (requires pressing star during greetings -- default for non-mobile phones)

Ring Schedule:
Weekdays : Always ring on weekdays
Weekends : Always ring on weekends

Log out of Google Voice.  If you made any changes, log back into Google Voice and verify they took.

Make sure you're logged out of all Google services and you are not running any Google clients of any kind.

Then follow the steps in this post:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2206.msg14235#msg14235

Verify that you can call the echo test at **9 222 222 222.

Note the SP1 Service Status on the OBi Main Status Page.  It should say : Connected.

Verify that you can make an outgoing Google Voice call.

Try calling your Google Voice number from another phone.  Hopefully, your OBi phone will ring.

oremguy

RonR,

I followed all of the steps as outlined and double checked the changes. The end result is that in status I got the message: "backing off - authentication error." I could only be off the internet for a short period of time and needed to make and receive calls, so I set everything back up using ObiTALK. That is where things stand at the present. Maybe you can tell me why I got that message and what I might do to avoid it.

RonR

Quote from: oremguy on January 19, 2012, 08:23:11 PM
The end result is that in status I got the message: "backing off - authentication error."
Maybe you can tell me why I got that message and what I might do to avoid it.

That means the AuthUserName and/or AuthPassword were probably incorrect:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)

oremguy

RonR,

And you are probably right. I just find it strange that I can repeatedly enter the name and password correctly in ObiTALK for both SP1 (Google Talk) and SP2 (Callcentric) and cannot enter either of them in correctly directly. This problem of receiving calls on my phone directly from GV has been going on for a week, and I am not optimistic of resolving it soon. From what I have read, the problem is not unique to me.

In the meantime, I have to be able to receive incoming calls. That is why I signed up with Callcentric (no free sipgate numbers are available). I probably kludged things together by setting that number up in Google Voice as a forward number, but it works, with the caveat of a noticeable delay. I notice that I should be able to set call forwarding up in Obi by entering *72. I tried that, but nothing happens: the phone just emits a constant humming sound.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the help that you have tried to give me. When I get a chance, I will try to follow your instructions again.

oremguy

I was able to get my problem partially solved through customer support. The problem was an app on my Android tablet (GrooveIP) that was receiving the calls. As soon as I disabled that app, the technician was able to get my phone to ring. The current problem, and I do not know how extensive it is, is that some calls ring the phone (in one instance from a land line) while others do not (in one instance from a cell phone). Oh well, I guess this is progress.

RonR

Quote from: oremguy on January 20, 2012, 02:47:48 PM
The problem was an app on my Android tablet (GrooveIP) that was receiving the calls. As soon as I disabled that app, the technician was able to get my phone to ring.

Quote from: RonR on January 19, 2012, 04:14:28 PM
Make sure you're logged out of all Google services and you are not running any Google clients of any kind.