News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Delayed dial tone - Firmware issue?

Started by jilebi, August 30, 2013, 06:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jilebi

Hi,

I have a OBI110 and I upgraded the firmware to the latest one 2 weeks ago. Since then, when I pick up the phone, the dial tone comes on only after 7 seconds! The phone is silent till then. I have timed it consistently and every time it takes 6-7 seconds.

In addition, when I have an inbound call and I pick up the phone, I hear nothing for 3 seconds, after which I can start hearing the other party. Through multiple trials, including asking the other party, I have found that during that 3 second silence at my end, the other end continues to hear the bell ring.

Effectively, for outbound calls I now have a 7 second delay and for inbound calls I have a 3 second delay, at the start of every call.

Finally, one new strange behavior is that for automated messaging systems (like Google Voice), sometimes the dial tones are not being recognized. I have to press the numbers either multiple times or keep the same number pressed for a long time.

Can somebody please provide a solution?

Please help. The entire family is very frustrated with using Obi, over the last 2 weeks. It is just driving us nuts.

drgeoff

jilebi

Exactly! That is also what is happening to me. In addition, I also have the delayed dial tone issue.

I am surprised that more people are not reporting this issue.

jilebi

Any resolution to this issue?

Between the delayed dial-tone, delayed pick-up of incoming calls, and tones for automated voice systems not working, my wife is close to chucking the OBI device out of the house!

RFord

I know you had a working setup before the firmware update, but have you tried a different phone and/or cables to eliminate that being the source of the problem?  If you bypass the router and connect the OBi110 directly to the Modem, does the problem persist?  Have you contacted OBi Support to see if they can provide some sort of detail diagnoses of the problem?  If the problem continues, what happens if you reset the device back to default and reconfigured?  Have you tried re-uploading the firmware manually to the ATA?

The reason they aren't much written on the subject is because most OBi110 users with the latest firmware is not having any type of issue.

jilebi

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Below are my responses.

Quote from: RFord on September 01, 2013, 11:40:27 AM
I know you had a working setup before the firmware update, but have you tried a different phone and/or cables to eliminate that being the source of the problem? 

- Yes, I have tried 3 different phones, including corded phones and cordless phones. Same results.

If you bypass the router and connect the OBi110 directly to the Modem, does the problem persist? 

- Yes, same results.

If the problem continues, what happens if you reset the device back to default and reconfigured?  Have you tried re-uploading the firmware manually to the ATA?

- The interesting result is that if I reset the Obi device, the delay is absent immediately after power-up. However, after some time, it is back to the same issues - dial-tone delay, incoming call pickup delays, and voice messaging tones not working. I have not tried manually updating the firmware.

Have you contacted OBi Support to see if they can provide some sort of detail diagnoses of the problem? 

- How do I contact Obi suppport one-on-one?

evrk

Also having this problem almost exactly. Didn't occur after the firmware upgrade necessarily in my case, it just has been happening for a while.

Anyone ever sort out how  to clear this up?

Thanks

joel

I have an Obi100 and I also now have a 7 second delay and for inbound calls I have a 3 second delay, at the start of every call. It started to notice it just this past couple of weeks, otherwise everything was working fine before then. No firmware update or any change on my end.

Did you receive a resolution from Obi?

Thanks in advance.

ProfTech

I hate to suggest it, but you may need to save the config, reset the Obi to factory defaults using the button on the bottom, and reload the config. NOTE that your passwords are NOT saved in the config file! You must re-enter them manually after loading the saved config back in. I have seen this happen at least once but it was after a software upgrade which is sometimes normal. It may be possible that your Obi could have been upgraded automatically by the Obihai system.

akajester

We've had this same issue for a few weeks now. Just today I logged into our portal and it said a firmware update was available. I told it to update and the problem went away. I'll repost if it comes back with time.

joel

Thanks for all the advice and info. Yesterday the problem went away! Not sure what the problem was but glad it is fixed.