News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up with security system.

Started by ThaDraGun, September 03, 2013, 08:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThaDraGun

Been trying for week to try to get OBI to work with my ADT security system. Can't figure out what is wrong tho. Im using voip.ms.

I have the OBI connected directly to the security box. then the security box goes to the demark point which sends it to all the jacks in the house.

All phone lines are ok. I have a Dialtone and can make and receive calls. I have an error light/beeping on my security control panel tho.

People have told me I need to make sure G711 codec is forced. How do I do that?

Rick

Search the forums.  You should NOT use VoIP with an alarm system.

Shale

Do you have about 50 volts across the proper terminals at the box?

How do you know that you wired to the proper terminals?

What OBi do you use? The Phone 1 jack on an OBi202 will have special consideration in that both lines are on pairs on that one jack.

If you wiring is right, see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5409.0

ThaDraGun

Quote from: Rick on September 04, 2013, 03:54:28 AM

I know people say not to use VoIP for alarms because its not reliable..power can go out, internet can go out etc. Doesnt really matter to me. I have a battery backup and thats good enough for me.
We will probably get rid of it once the contract is done anyways.

Quote from: Shale on September 04, 2013, 06:09:26 AM
Do you have about 50 volts across the proper terminals at the box?

How do you know that you wired to the proper terminals?

What OBi do you use? The Phone 1 jack on an OBi202 will have special consideration in that both lines are on pairs on that one jack.

If you wiring is right, see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5409.0

I think the wiring is right. In the security system box I basically unhooked where the Bell landline was connected and wired the OBi110 directly to that spot. Once I did that all the phone jacks worked. I didnt change any other wiring other then removing the outside live telephone line.

It doesnt give me an error code, but I think the error is that it just isnt seeing the phone line. Maybe its not enough power going through? I'll have to check with a volt meter later, or can it be checked through the OBi settings?

Changing that one setting to InBand didnt seem to work. I unplugged the OBi and the phone line and it still didnt work. When I changed the setting it put a red exclamation mark at DTMFMethod and DigitMap, Is that normal?
For DigitMap it changed to (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

When I clicked revert to OBi settings, it still has the exclamation marks.

Rick

Quote from: ThaDraGun on September 04, 2013, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: Rick on September 04, 2013, 03:54:28 AM

I know people say not to use VoIP for alarms because its not reliable..power can go out, internet can go out etc. Doesnt really matter to me. I have a battery backup and thats good enough for me.
We will probably get rid of it once the contract is done anyways.

Main issue is it won't reliably transmit to the alarm company's central station even with power. 

Also, getting rid of your alarm monitoring is probably a bad idea - unless you're being ripped off on the monitoring cost.  I MAKE A PROFIT each year on my alarm monitoring, I save more on my homeowner's insurance than I pay for monitoring.  This year my company added discounts for leak and freeze monitoring (as well as CO but I already had that detector).  I added detectors costing $20 or less each, and each saves around $50 EACH YEAR.

Shale

Quote from: ThaDraGun on September 04, 2013, 10:27:54 AM
I think the wiring is right. In the security system box I basically unhooked where the Bell landline was connected and wired the OBi110 directly to that spot. Once I did that all the phone jacks worked. I didn't change any other wiring other then removing the outside live telephone line.

I don't know if polarity is important to the alarm box. Just in case it is, you could check the polarity.

The green green or white or brown should be positive with respect to the other wire.
The red or blue or gray should be negative with respect to the other wire.

Rick

Most security boxes are setup this way:

Phone line comes into the house and goes to the security box.  In the security box is a small box with terminal on it for 4 screws.  The outside phone line comes in to some of the screws, the alarm wiring goes to some of the screws, and the phone wiring goes to some of the screws.  Then your phone works.

When the alarm trips, it cuts off the house phones to seize the line and makes the call. 

The main problem here is you don't know what's working. Is the alarm panel not seeing the phone line, or is it making a call but failing to transmit?

ThaDraGun

I changed that one setting in OBi, didnt look like it worked, so I changed it back. Still looked like it wasnt working.

Now I just looked at it and it is ok. No beeping and no yellow warning showing.
The only change between now and the last time I looked was that someone called us. Not sure if that made the difference or not, but  I will leave it be for now and see if it stays this way.

ThaDraGun

I no longer get any of the control panel beeps/errors that I used to have. It seems like everything is fine except one big issue.

I decided to do a actual test by setting the alarm off.
When the sirens went off it seized the line like its supposed to do, and it made a call to ADT. It did not give any errors. However, it kept making a call every min and it still had the line seized for aprox one hour!

Im guessing its calling ADT no problem, but they arent receiving the signal correctly maybe thats why its retrying. It should only call once, correct?

Any ideas how to adjust it to work correctly?

Rick

Call ADT.  They should be able to tell you how to make GV work with their systems, IF it can work.