News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 line 911 and voip.ms e911

Started by Donald90630, September 06, 2013, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald90630

If I register voip.ms e911, and power lines are are down (fire, flood, etc.), can I set up a failover to the line 911, which does not require electicity? I know I can use my land line fax phone, but in an emergency, we might not be thinking straight, and be frustrated that e911 is not working.

LeoKing

Hello Donald! I don't have a direct answer to your question. I am connecting the modem/router, the 2 OBi110's and the cordless phones to a UPS. That allows me to still make & receive phone calls during a power outage.

Edit: UPS's on Amazon

Shale

The older OBi110s had a relay that would do what you want. The newer ones don't. I don't know what serial number the change was made, but you probably have the newer one.

You should put a separate non-powered phone instrument across your line. You can get a splitter that would help with that.

Donald90630

I will check to see if my OBi110 has the relay. My concern regarding electricity is not about power to the phone. My understanding is that VOIP e911 calls are transmitted over the internet. Perhaps I am mistaken. If a fire or flood caused disruption of power across a wide area, call termination would not be resolved by my UPS. I realize a land line could also be rendered inoperable, but not as likely as electric power.