News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble with Credit Card terminal but faxing works great

Started by affled, September 12, 2013, 06:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

affled

Hi fellas,
I have one OBI202 with 2 accounts registered to Vitelity, one for each port.
Port 1 is connected to a fax machine and has been working virtually flawlessly.  But port 2, configured identical to port 1, connected to a Credit Card terminal Verifone Omni 5100 fails frequently and if it goes through is very slow.
Can anyone help me with getting this configured properly?

In the codec section everything is defaut except:
G729 is       disabled
G726 is       disabled
Fax event is enabled

Shale

There are limited things you can try. I would try the gain settings to see if one of those helps.

Here is what I did for better voice levels:

Configuration
  Physical Interfaces
    Phone 1->ChannelTxGain   = -3 (what I switched to from 0)
    Phone 1->ChannelRxGain   = 12 (what I switched to from 0)

affled

Thank you for the suggestion.
I will give that a try and see if it is improved.

obiliving

Modem is sensitive to jitter buffer adjustments during a call. Your OBi can detect FAX tone and will switch off jitter buffer adjustment when FAX is detected (it might even switch to T.38/FAX Relay if the call peer also supports it). That makes your FAX work better.

However there is no Modem signal detection support.
There is a new feature in the latest firmware (3.0.1.4109) that may help (do a f/w upgrade first).
It allows you to disable jitter buffer adjustment for the next outgoing call, by dialing a *code (of your choice). This is what you can do: Add a Star Code (under Star Code Profile) like this:

*01, Modem Call, set($Noji1,200),set($Noec1,1),set($Cdm1,3)

The 3 set() commands tell the obi to do the following for the next outbound call:
1. Disable Jitter Buffer Adjustment, and use a fixed jitter buffer length of 200 ms
2. Disable Echo Canceller
3. Use only G711u and G711a codec

Replace *01 with any code you like, as long as it does not conflict with other codes.
Then dial the target number and see if the modem call works better.
Note that this only controls the OBi; the quality will still be affected by the behavior of the call peer and any network impairment. Good luck.

affled

Unfortunately changing the gain values had no effect on the CC terminal communication.

Thank you obiliving I'm currently on 4041 will give that a try...
Any way to force that feature without dialing a star code?  That port is used solely for the CC terminal and would be difficult to reprogram the terminal to dial the star code first.

QBZappy

@obiliving,

Quote from: obiliving on September 13, 2013, 03:58:08 PM
There is a new feature in the latest firmware (3.0.1.4109) that may help (do a f/w upgrade first).
It allows you to disable jitter buffer adjustment for the next outgoing call, by dialing a *code (of your choice). This is what you can do: Add a Star Code (under Star Code Profile) like this:

*01, Modem Call, set($Noji1,200),set($Noec1,1),set($Cdm1,3)

The 3 set() commands tell the obi to do the following for the next outbound call:
1. Disable Jitter Buffer Adjustment, and use a fixed jitter buffer length of 200 ms
2. Disable Echo Canceller
3. Use only G711u and G711a codec

Where did you get this info from? Are there release notes available somewhere?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

affled

If I follow obiliving's example of adding those commands to *01 star code
could I get phone port 2 to automatically dial *01 if I add that to the digimap for the corresponding ITSP general profile?

eg: (<*01>1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

I'm trying to avoid reprogramming the verifone terminal since I don't know how...

So Phone 2 Primary Line is Sp2
StarCodeProfile is B (the one I added to)

Sp2 X_ServProvProfile = B

above digimap is for ITSP profile B

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or should I not alter DigitMap for ITSP profile B leaving it as:
       (1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

But add this to beginning of OutboundCallRoute in Phone port 2:
{(<1877#######:*011877#######>):sp2},{.......etc}  

where 877####### is the credit card company's phone number

Keeping Phone port 2 Primary Line as Sp2
StarCodeProfile is B (the one I added to)

QBZappy

@obiliving,

There is obviously some information regarding firmware updates available to you. As the only known obihai person participating in this forum, we have collectively decided to add to your job description the following task of maintaining  the following thread:

Latest Update for OBi1 Series - OBi2 and OBi3 Series
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

I cleared it with Jan Fandrianto (Obihai president and CEO) when I met him earlier this year at ITEXPO Miami 2013 . There will be a small bonus in your Christmas pay for the effort. I also took the liberty to add a donate button for your efforts as well. Note to forum readers, it would be a nice show of support if we hit that donate button to encourage obiliving to participate more often. BTW I don't know if we were introduced. Were you the tall guy exhibiting the new OBi phones coming out later in the year?  :)

##########
# D O N A T E #  <-- Click here
##########
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Rick

Quote from: QBZappy on September 13, 2013, 09:49:04 PM
@obiliving,

There is obviously some information regarding firmware updates available to you. As the only known obihai person participating in this forum, we have collectively decided to add to your job description the following task of maintaining  the following thread:

Latest Update for OBi1 Series - OBi2 and OBi3 Series
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

I cleared it with Jan Fandrianto (Obihai president and CEO) when I met him earlier this year at ITEXPO Miami 2013 . There will be a small bonus in your Christmas pay for the effort. I also took the liberty to add a donate button for your efforts as well. Note to forum readers, it would be a nice show of support if we hit that donate button to encourage obiliving to participate more often. BTW I don't know if we were introduced. Were you the tall guy exhibiting the new OBi phones coming out later in the year?  :)

##########
# D O N A T E #  <-- Click here
##########

Very good.  Made me smile.

I chatted with OBi and sent an email to sales@obihai.com, attention Sherman, on 9/6 complaining about this.  I've had no response. 

In short, I wouldn't recommend this device to anyone based on OBi's lack of support for this simple request, which they committed to prior.

I'm at 2774 on my 110 and have intention of ever updating unless GV makes a change that requires it.

ianobi

affled,

I don't have the answer (that's a good start!). I can say that your ideas in Reply #6 will definitely not work. You will end up prepending *01 to the number and sending it out to sp2.

The Star Codes are designed to be intercepted by the OBi before they even reach the Phone Port DigitMap.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

affled

ianobi,
Thanks for your response.  Guess I'll wait and see if any employees from OBi responds to how to force those commands without dialing a star code.  Until then, I have no way of verifying whether these new features work...

Rick

Quote from: affled on September 14, 2013, 10:38:57 AM
ianobi,
Thanks for your response.  Guess I'll wait and see if any employees from OBi responds to how to force those commands without dialing a star code.  Until then, I have no way of verifying whether these new features work...

OBi doesn't respond to posts on the forum, at least in the 21 months I've been on here.

Using VoIP for credit card terminal transmissions or alarm system communications will be unreliable at best.  I'd suggest you either using a POTS line as intended or explore what over the internet solutions are available to you - or utilize cellular.

QBZappy

@affled,

Just a stab in the dark. Try putting it in the speed dial slot and dial from there. ex: "2#"

affled

The following is OBi's support email response:

No. You can only use it w/ a "star code"
But star does not have to be a * code.
In some cases a work around is possible.
For example, if you only need to call 1 number (or the number is very different from a normal number),
you may try this work around:
Split the number into 2 parts. Suppose the number to dial is always 1408 123 4567.
You can use 1408123 as the "star code", then add the following rule to your Phone port digitmap:
(1408123S0|<:1408123>4567)
You got the idea. You can play around w/ variations that work better for you situation.
At least give it a try to see if it works better first.
If it does, then you can consider adding * code prefix to all your devices, if possible.

ianobi

affled,

Some of the OBi Support suggestion looks interesting, but some of it does not seem right to me. I have tried it out as I thought it might have other uses.

First set up your "Star Code". Using the OBi Support number example and obiliving's information we have this set up in a spare Star Code slot:

1408123, Modem Call, set($Noji1,200),set($Noec1,1),set($Cdm1,3)

Suggested DigitMap:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
(1408123S0|<:1408123>4567|... other rules here ...)

The first rule makes no sense as the 1408123 should have been absorbed and used by the "Star Code". The second rule is fine as it takes the last four digits 4567 and swaps the "nothing" that was 1408123 and puts the 1408123 back making the full number 1408134567.

I have tried it using this:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
(<:1408123>4567|... other rules here ...)

This works fine if the digits are dialled in one by one as you might from a normal phone, or from a dect / programmed phone it works if a pause is inserted – 1408123P4567. This gives the "Star Code" time to absorb the 1408123 and the 4567 is passed on to the Phone Port DigitMap.

If you card reader dials very slowly, then it should work using the second DigitMap above. If you cannot reprogram the card reader number, then inserting a pause will not be an option.

I tested using different numbers and the Star Codes that change codecs, which I could observe in Call Status to see if the new rules were working.

Almighty1

obiliving's solution worked great on a Obi202 using Google Voice.  I've tried two faxmodems including a USRobotics Courier Dual Standard v.everything that works with Google Voice from a landline but for some reason, it will disconnect after successfully sending one page at 14.4k all the way down to 4800.  It did send successfully at 2400.  With the *01 added before the number, it sent successfully at 14.4k using Class 2.0. 

Almighty1

Did something change in the firmwares of the last few months or so relating to faxing as before, using *01 would cause faxes to work when they would fail without the *01 but now, it seems like the *01 would cause faxes to fail in sending and not using *01 would cause faxes to send successfully.

Alfonso

Does obiliving advice works to setup Analog Modem instead of fax?