News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Not Explaining Firmware Updates - But Wants Me To Like Them On Facebook?

Started by Rick, September 15, 2013, 05:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

REALLY?

Got emails last night from OBi asking me to log into Facebook and visit the OBiHai contest, and say how much money I have said with OBi, and for sharing they will enter me in a contest to win a free OBi 110 every day for 10 days. 

This after many of the long time forum participants have chastised the company for both not providing firmware update documentation and for not providing notice of the updates in the agreed upon manner (new post to the existing thread that triggers emails to those following the thread).

REALLY?

I would do this, and spend time explaining why I would NOT recommend OBi to any but the technology-inclined, but because Facebook requires me to link my full name to OBi I'm not doing that - plus I don't need another OBi.

I was shocked that my 9/6 email to Sherman, via Sales@Obihai.com, wasn't responded to.  I was told that Sherman still works for OBi by the way.

I see this company going to a reseller model where they no longer sell to end users and the reseller provides all the support.

drgeoff

I won't be entering that competition either.

1.  I have no intention of ever having a Facebook account.

2.  As soon as I saw the "free shipping in USA" I didn't even bother to look further whether the rules specifically exclude everyone who doesn't live there.    Obihai does make (some of) their products officially available here in the UK.  They come with the appropriate UK PSU but that seems to be as far as they go.  No alternative defaults for dial plans, tones, impedances etc.  Not even a page on the website giving suggested values for non-US countries.

sailing

If you kept up with Facebook in the news, one of the things Facebook does, is take your positive comments for a product and will use it as advertising to all your listed friends. So Obihai spends maybe $500 for give-a-ways and gets a tremendous advertising bonanza.

I have a Facebook account but never post anything and the above is one of the reasons. You cannot trust Facebook when it comes to privacy.

LeoKing

drgeoff

Quote from: dudlee on September 15, 2013, 02:24:40 PM
What is Facebook??
I believe it is a 'social networking' thingummy whatever that means.  I know people who are on it but no-one that I class as a friend (in the proper meaning of the word) is.

Ostracus

Quote from: Rick on September 15, 2013, 05:24:58 AM
I see this company going to a reseller model where they no longer sell to end users and the reseller provides all the support.

I suspect those "upcoming" models may be the herald of things to come. Things is, what do those who've invested in Obihai do?

drgeoff

Quote from: Ostracus on September 15, 2013, 07:25:36 PM
Things is, what do those who've invested in Obihai do?
Those who have invested in Obihai the company, ie the stockholders, and those who have invested in Obihai products, ie the end-users, are likely to have very different aims.

carl

It is for an outsider impossible to figure out what is Obihai up to. That's the way corporations are- and their decisions are more often than not irrational.
Short of making proprietary devices I do not see any way they could let resellers do tech support unless they want to double the price which would be very much the end of the product.
There are, by all means, other ways, not too expensive, to make us happy without offering us a chance to win an unneeded product.
But it is what it is and we can only swim with the stream.

Johnny

Can anyone explain the reasons as to why this company doesn't explain firmware updates  and provide change logs?

Why would that be a problem?  Simply too busy?  Why is that so difficult?

Most other companies do provide these change logs and try to explain why an update was necessary.

I'm really starting to worry that something is very wrong with this outfit.

Too bad, as I really like their products and currently have two 110's and a 202, but I am starting to look elsewhere, because this lack of support on this forum is very troubling.  I have quit recommending this product to others and will likely not purchase anymore myself unless things change.

Hopefully they change course and decide to get more involved on here, and also give us more info when an update is available as to what the update provides or changes.

Fingers crossed...................