News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dialing ITSP from obi110 without "primary line to call out" checked?

Started by commstar, April 13, 2011, 08:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commstar

Hello, can one make the line port primary line to call out and still be able to call out via one of the ITSP without checking the "primary line to call out" box?
I'm taking the box down to Mexico and would like them to use it with their existing phone line and phone. I heard that one can dial out via ITSP by pressing ** and a particular number sequence. Is this possible?
Thank you..

RonR

If Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine is set to PSTN Line, calls will go out the LINE Port by default.  A prefix can then be dialed to use other ports instead:

**1 + number = SP1 Service
**2 + number = SP2 Service
**8 + number = PSTN Line (default)
**9 + number = OBiTALK Service

QBZappy

commstar,

I remember you saying something about your parents in a previous post. If you are setting this up for elderly parents, may I suggest that you setup speed dial numbers. This will greatly simplify things. All the call routing can be setup in the speed dial. This will eliminate the need to press **1 or **2.
You will end up dialing 1# (or any other speed dial number you want). You can have your parents speed dial you, or other family or friends that you setup.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

commstar

Thanks QBZappy, I'll try that tonight.
Just curious, do they have to press the # sign after the speed dial number? They usually take longer than normal to dial numbers. Would the OBI110 know that any pause after the first digit is not necessarily a speed dial, but possibly a local (PSTN) call to them?
For example, the speed dial number to call me on (GV) is 3, their neighbor's (PSTN) number starts with a 3XX XX XX

Thank you..

QBZappy

commstar,,

There are a few different ways you can setup the speed dial to ring a phone connected on the OBi. All these scenarios will ring the phone connected to the OBi. If you have configured it properly on your end. (2nd OBi). I'm assuming we have an OBi at each end.

**9300111222  <- Uses OBi network to ring the phone
**15145551212 <- Uses SP1 (SIP or GV) to make call to ring the phone
**25145551212 <- Uses SP2 (SIP or GV) to make call to ring the phone

Using the SP1 or SP2 method has the advantage of you being able the control the call forwarding from Google Voice. Using the **9 way you can still control the call forwarding using the OBi unit. That would be another lesson.

Now about the part about taking too long to dial. If you have a dial plan setup for local numbers like you mentioned "3XX XX XX", pressing "3" without the "#" should go to speed dial. I just called my Parents in Florida pressing "5" without the "#". It looks like your parents can call you with only one press of a button. You can't get simpler than that. I would even color code the button on the phone as a reminder of which one to press to call you.

Saludos a tus padres y tener una agradable visita
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: commstar on April 13, 2011, 10:45:46 AMJust curious, do they have to press the # sign after the speed dial number?

commstar,

It never hurts to terminate dialing from the phone with the '#' key.  Without the '#' key, the OBi may wait several seconds to start processing the number you've dialed.  Pressing the '#' key tells the OBi you're done dialing so it knows it can start processing the number immeidately.

lhm.

Another option is to put the # sign at the end of the number in speed dial ie: 18885551212# , although some may not agree.  ;)

RonR

It serves no purpose in a Speed Dial other than the trick you're playing.  Speed Dials don't incur the timeouts that real-time dialing adheres to.

lhm.

Yes, it seems that with or without the trailing # sign the call timing is identical.

jimates

RonR,

since there is a concern with slow dialing is there a way to increase the default wait time from 2 seconds to 3 or 4? Perhaps creating a user defined digit map or something.

QBZappy

Hi

Isn't the "S" value used for controlling the number of seconds in the dial plan? Speed dial might be different.
EX: S2, S3, or S4

RonR

Interdigit timers are disabled when Speed Dialing.

The Long and Short timers are set to 10 seconds and 2 seconds respectively.  I haven't run across a setting to change these default values.  I wouldn't call 2 seconds 'slow dialing' nor a reason for concern.  You can always set whatever timeout you like in a DigitMap with 'Sx' at the end of a rule.  I find 2 seconds a bit too quick and frequently slow things down with an 'S4'.

I think the best solution is to just get used to always terminating your dialing with a '#' which cancels all delays.  I've been doing that for so many years on a PAP2 that it's automatic now.

jimates

Since I was editing while RonR was posting I have repeated this post after RonR's posts.

I never noticed that speed dialing didn't really require the #.  The call goes out 2 seconds after pressing a single digit.

I confirmed with support that this is the intended action, but it is not a good one. Suppose you were injured and needed to dial 911. 2 seconds after pressing the first digit it would speed dial to the #9 place holder.

I never knew 911 was such a concern until we started discussing this device on the other forums.

This is actually a concern for anyone that may dial slow or have their attention directed away from the phone during dialing. 2 seconds is nothing. I often have to go back and look at a number while dialing.

The Obi's speed dial feature does not require entering a symbol after a digit(s). This means that if you dial 9, the call will go out to the number in speed dial 9 unless you press another digit within 2 seconds. If you dial 91 the call will go out to speed dial 91 unless you press another digit within 2 seconds.

If there is no number in speed dial for the digits entered, the system will return a busy tone and no more digits can be entered for dialing. This will require starting over with the dialing process.

This may not seem a concern for many but like I said, I never realized how many people are really concerned with the reliability of 911.

Not to mention the frustration of placing many incorrect numbers by pausing during dialing.

RonR

If you dial a Speed Dial (1 - 99) followed by a '#', there are no delays.  A '#' in a Speed Dial isn't needed as there's no delays once the Speed Dial is selected.

If you want Speed Dials (or any other rule) to have a longer timeout, simply add an 'Sx'.  For Speed Dials:

|[1-9]S4|[1-9][0-9]S4|

When you're allowed to dial a variable number of digits, there's no way to know when you're done except for a timeout or a '#'.  Set a timeout that makes you happy, and then get into the habit and teach others to always terminate their dialing with a '#'.

RonR

BTW, with the addition of the '?' operator, Speed Dial rules in the PHONE Port DigitMap are a little sexier as:

|[1-9]x?|

instead of

|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|

jimates

I never noticed that speed dialing didn't really require the #.  The call goes out 2 seconds after pressing a single digit.

I confirmed with support that this is the intended action, but it is not a good one. Suppose you were injured and needed to dial 911. 2 seconds after pressing the first digit it would speed dial to the #9 place holder.

I never knew 911 was such a concern until we started discussing this device on the other forums.

This is actually a concern for anyone that may dial slow or have their attention directed away from the phone during dialing. 2 seconds is nothing. I often have to go back and look at a number while dialing.

The Obi's speed dial feature does not require entering a symbol after a digit(s). This means that if you dial 9, the call will go out to the number in speed dial 9 unless you press another digit within 2 seconds. If you dial 91 the call will go out to speed dial 91 unless you press another digit within 2 seconds.

If there is no number in speed dial for the digits entered, the system will return a busy tone and no more digits can be entered for dialing. This will require starting over with the dialing process.

This may not seem a concern for many but like I said, I never realized how many people are really concerned with the reliability of 911.

Not to mention the frustration of placing many incorrect numbers by pausing during dialing.

jimates

Quote from: RonR on April 13, 2011, 06:53:42 PM
If you dial a Speed Dial (1 - 99) followed by a '#', there are no delays.  A '#' in a Speed Dial isn't needed as there's no delays once the Speed Dial is selected.

If you want Speed Dials (or any other rule) to have a longer timeout, simply add an 'Sx'.  For Speed Dials:
|[1-9]S4|[1-9][0-9]S4|

When you're allowed to dial a variable number of digits, there's no way to know when you're done except for a timeout or a '#'.  Set a timeout that makes you happy, and then get into the habit and teach others to always terminate their dialing with a '#'.
I don't think the user should have to edit the settings to keep the device from dialing (what some would see as) prematurely. I have never used a device that didn't require entering a symbol after a digit to direct the call via speed dial.

And I don't think requiring the # entry after the digit(s) will be seen as a inconvenience.

QBZappy

jimates,

We saw a fair amount of discussion and effort from people on this forum trying to get 911 working properly using the OBi. It looks like we may have to plug a couple of holes that were overlooked to have a fail safe 911 call strategy in the home.

It seems that the speed dial slot 9 and 91 should also be populated with the local 911 10 digit number as you suggested in your 911 guide. A bit paranoid but one never knows.

jimates

That is a work around, but in my area the number given to me is the NON EMERGENCY NUMBER which is just a dispatcher and may ring many times before being answered.

Evidently you just can't get them to understand what is needed when you say an alternate number for emergency calls.

Just like trying to get someone to realize it is easier to just change this shortfall instead of telling the user they can do it through configurations. I am speaking of Obihai support, not RonR, that told me that in an email.

QBZappy

jimates,

Hi,

I was looking for the Montreal 911 10 digit number as well. I stumbled upon this thread on DSL Reports. Interesting read about someone else tying to accomplish the same thing. It sounds similar to what you experienced. Have a look.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21304684-10-digit-number-to-replace-dialling-911-in-Montreal