News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Behind Router

Started by XrayDoc88, September 18, 2013, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XrayDoc88

Hello, I'm new to VOIP and plan on purchasing an Obi202.  I wish to place it behind a powerful Netgear router that I already own and not use the built in Obi router.  Can this work fine?  Should I use the Obi202 WAN port to connect to my local network?  Will I need to do anything in order to access the Obi202 through the WAN port using a browser?  Thanks.

drgeoff

From the Obi DeviceAdminGuide (with my emphasis):

"OBi202 has two Ethernet ports labelled as the Internet port and the LAN port. The OBi works as a router by default. All the native voice services and features use the WAN port only when the OBi202 is in router mode. The OBi can also be set to work as a 3-port switch (a.k.a. Bridge mode), by changing its OperationMode parameter from Router to Bridge. Note: One of the switch ports is for OBi202 internal use only."

CoalMinerRetired

I wish to place it behind a powerful Netgear router that I already own and not use the built in Obi router.  Can this work fine? 
Yes. This is how most people use it.

Should I use the Obi202 WAN port to connect to my local network? 
No, use the port labeled "Internet", See Step 1 & 2 in this instruction sheet: http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi202QSG.pdf

Will I need to do anything in order to access the Obi202 through the WAN port using a browser?
On the back of the device the two network ports are labeled "Internet" and "LAN".  To access the obi -- to get into it's configuration -- you go through the LAN port not the Internet (WAN) port. You do this after specifically enabling LAN port access ( "* * * 0 option 30 from an attached telephone"), see brief instructions here, that begin with "Access the OBi Device Management Web Page:" http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506078.

XrayDoc88

So the best way to use the Obi202 behind a router is to place it in bridge mode?  Can I still assign the Obi202 a static local IP in case I need to do any port forwarding with my Netgear router?

CoalMinerRetired

You're over thinking this.  The 202 works in router mode by default, leave it that way, don't change it to bridge mode, just do not configure anything for the router (that is not already set as defaults) and don't plug anything into the LAN port. Let your powerful Netgear router do all the routing for your network, and let the Obi do it's thing being an ATA.

Yes, you can still assign the 202 a static ip address. While there are a few exceptions, almost everyone on here finds they do not have to setup any port forwarding nor do they have to create any specific rules based on services or ports to make the Obi work as intended. Collective experience on here proves this is the best approach, try it yourself and observe your Obi's voice quality and performance as a base case, then after a few days or weeks start tweaking to see if your tweaks make any difference.

The VoIP quality tests mentioned here might help you get started when you do get to tweaking: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5803.msg37497#msg37497

drgeoff

CoalMinerRetired must have a good reason for saying to leave the Obi in Router mode and not put it in bridge mode.  But I don't know what the reason is.  I don't have an OBi202 so cannot speak from practical experience, but putting it in bridge mode is what I would have done to use it behind an existing router.