News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Sipgate email. Is this a hoax?

Started by northernarizona, September 20, 2013, 01:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernarizona

I received this email as well.  If it's true I don't know what to do to continue using my Obihai device. 

"Your sipgate.com phone service will end on 10/31/2013

Dear sipgate customer,

We regret to inform you that all sipgate.com services will be closed by the 31st of October 2013.

What happens on the 31st?

All services offered at www.sipgate.com will cease: You will no longer be able to receive or make calls with your sipgate account's phone number(s);Account login at www.sipgate.com will not be possible;Emergency Services (911) will not be available via sipgate.com;Call records, billing history will no longer be available.

Advice: Please be sure to download and save all account billing and call records you wish to retain prior to service closure.

Can I port my existing sipgate.com number(s) to another service provider?

Yes! If you want to keep using your number(s) provided by sipgate Inc. after the 31st you will need to transfer them to another service provider before sipgate.com services close. To port a number off your sipgate account please contact your new service provider. They will handle the number transfer on your behalf.

What will happen to the credit balance on my sipgate.com account?

The remaining credit balance can be refunded. To get a refund of your account?s credit balance please provide your PayPal e-mail address and your sipgate Account No. (7 digits): support@support.sipgate.com The refund will be transferred onto your PayPal account. Should you have no PayPal account please provide a valid e-mail address and your sipgate Account No. (7 digits) to further the refund process.

We greatly appreciate your custom and wish to ensure the closure of sipgate USA's services causes the minimum disruption to you. Thank you for using sipgate.com

Faithfully,
the sipgate.com Team sipgate Inc.

support@support.sipgate.com

9600 Great Hills Trail # 150W
Austin, TX 78759"

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28641387-Other-Sipgate.com-phone-service-will-end-on-10-31-2013

N7AS

No, this is not a hoax. Myself and alot of others on the VOIP Tech Chat Forum have received the same email. I believe they are giving up their US customers for their Europe ones. Who knows, maybe they will go away too.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

northernarizona

Hey thanks for answering. Do you have any suggestions for me as to find a replacement for them?  TY!

N7AS

You could use Callcentric, VOIP.ms, anveo or others. GoogleVoice is a FREE option.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

northernarizona

I my Google voice working in conjuction with Sipgate. I'm not sure of how it works. I just followed instructions. I guess I'll have t figure it out. I mean figure out how to cut sipgate out of the picture. Thank you!

N7AS

Instead of using Sipgate with GV, why not get a FREE NY DID from Callcentric and use that DID as the forwarding phone for your GV number. As a bonus, you will get CNAM (Caller Name with CallerID).
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

Everton

Quote from: northernarizona on September 20, 2013, 01:23:38 AM
Hey thanks for answering. Do you have any suggestions for me as to find a replacement for them?  TY!

How/what do you use Sipgate for now and for what purpose (CNAM, e911, etc.)?  Do you give friends/family/others your Sipgate number?  Essentially, why do you think you need a Sipgate number?

Lavarock7

In my case, I have 2 Sipgate numbers. The first I used for friends and other reasons, because it was easy to remember and had many digits the same.

The second number I used for registering domains and other places where I knew I would get spammed. It directed into my little RaspberryPi PBX to a "teletorture" script, or if I felt devious, to "Lenny" (a recorded quagmire of time wasting) :-)

With Voip.Ms's free porting, I could keep the "neat" number I was using and drop the other, but is it worth paying $12 a year to keep a number only because it was neat, was easy to remember and had lots of repeating digits? No. There will be other numbers.

I think what I may do, is use one of my free INUMs for registering domain names. I can accept calls for free and still send them to "Lenny" or a SIP tone or whatever.

I keep waiting. With the free Sipgate numbers disappearing, how much longer until the UK numbers, the free CallCentric and free GoogleVoice numbers will all disappear?

My empire of free numbers is starting to crumble just a bit.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

carl

You can get Localphone.com as a Sipgate replacement. Check them out.
Sipgate jumped big time into German MVNO business and seem to do better with that than with VOIP.

TheDreamer

The thing I liked about sipgate was no monthly fee and that I could use it send the occasional fax (which is like 0-1 times a year)

I used to have a fax machine, which I've used on VoIP...but it died many years ago, and there wasn't enough need to replace it.  And, I'd rather avoid doing that.

So, any alternative(s) to sipgate that has that feature?

The Dreamer.

giqcass

I liked sipgate because I could assign  an extension to call my friends Skype account.  I also have a sipgate uk number.  They have not sent any emails suggesting UK services would be terminated.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Mariana

I work for cheap international call provider, Localphone.com and we're willing to to port Sipgate numbers at cost, additionally we will waive the set up fee for any Sipgate customer that requests a USA or UK DID.

For more information please contact us at support@localphone.com and ensure to mention you are a Sipgate customer or visit www.localphone.com

uniquer

I have used Sipgate for incoming and GV for calling out.  It looked like a Callcentric free NY # would serve the same functions as Sipgate, until the last part of the sign up forces US/Canadian users into the e911 contract.  Cost is relative to any number of things, so let's skip the argument and get to the point:  Does anyone copy Sipgate's free DID with free incoming calls? (yes, Sipgate closing shop in US)

Got an IPKall DID # several years back, but let it expire.  Vaguely remember some uncomfortable quirks, but don't remember any details.

Does Callcentric do web-managed voicemail like Sipgate?  (I don't want voicemail attached to email.)

Obihai: Will it work to put an Obihai on a shared DSL line if the housemates already have an Ooma there (Will the systems interfere with one another)? 

If I got an Obihai working (shared or separate dsl), could I port the old Sipgate number to Obihai system, and would that depend on getting some service (Callcentric or ?) ?

Any recommendations for a basic handset to use with an Obihai?

Lavarock7

In my case, I told CallCentric that I was NOT in the US and thus did not get the E911.

This particular line is used for a fax and email account and has to credit to make regular calls, thus will never need to make 911 calls.

If you feel comfortable about not having 911 service, I would answer that question so that you are not required to have 911. 911 service is great for landlines that don't move from the address of record, or for a device that does move with the caller such as a cellphone. Having 911 service on equipment that the caller might be at the same location or 1/2 way around the world is NOT very useful.

Let's assume that you have 911 on the number and it lists 123 Maple Ave. You are traveling and using Voip and have to call 911. You use Voip, it calls 911 back home and displays 123 Maple Ave. You get disconnected and they call you back. Lets also assume that the 911 call DOES get to you at your foreign location. You explain that you are not at home and that you need help in New Your City. They will probably send the call to the 911 system serving that area BUT I would bet that they also dispatch someone to your 123 Maple Street address also. Anything that involves a hangup and/or odd circumstance is going to make them want to roll a car to ensure you are not someone who wrenched the phone out of a victims hand and trying to send the police on a wild goose chase far from where the attack is really happening.

It may sound far fetched but I listen to police calls and there are many 911 calls that are taken seriously because something didn't sound right.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

uniquer

Callcentric won't accept:

Are you using our services from within the United States or Canada?
   No

This happened even after I changed my contact info for the account.

Does anyone else offer a free DID with free incoming calls?
==============================================

I have to apologize: I had a typo in my registration that hung up the function. My address is incorrect, but I can change it later if needed.  I have an account with a number, started the VM and left a test message. Off and running.

The new phone # seemed hidden at first.  Was that list a choice, or are there two or three numbers I could use? 

uniquer

CallCentric says "Numbers cannot be ported (LNP) into the Free Phone Number product." 

I would still be interested in porting my number to a service like that (If anyone knows of one).