News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice, 7 Digit Dialing Plan?

Started by obitalk@svpelican.com, January 27, 2011, 07:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obitalk@svpelican.com

Hi - I just installed the Obi110 with Google Voice last night.  With a little bit of work (like figuring out that the initial "call a phone from google voice first" meant to do it in Firefox using the plugin - at least that's how I got it to work) I got it running and it works great!

I'm wondering if there's a way to do a 7 digit dial from it.  I'm guessing that would be something Google would have to support.  In other words, say my local area code was (123).  I'm trying to call a neighbor with the same area code.  Their number is 555-1212.  I want to be able to just dial 555-1212 without having to dial the area code first.  Is there any mechanism to prepend an area code if only 7 digits are dialed?  Thanks!

MichiganTelephone

As explained in my review at http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/review-of-the-obihai-obi110-voip-device-part-1-use-your-phone-with-google-voice-for-free-incoming-and-outgoing-calls/ :

QuoteYou might want to make one other tweak if you are used to dialing local numbers using just seven digits. By default, you will be able to dial U.S.A. and Canada numbers using 11 digits (1 + area code + number) or 10 digits.  If you'd prefer to be able to use 11 or 7 digits, in the left-side menu click on the + next to "Service Providers", then when the menu expands click on "ITSP Profile A" (or "ITSP Profile B" if that's where your Google Voice account is). Find the setting "DigitMap", and uncheck the "Default" box next to it.  Somewhere near the front of the string, you will see this: |<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx| — change the part between the vertical bar characters to <1313>xxxxxxx (but substitute your area code for 313). Be careful not to remove or change either of the vertical bar characters that "bookend" the part you just changed.  Then click "Submit", wait for the page to reload, and "Reboot", and (after it reconnects with Google Voice) you should have the 7/11 digit dialing you are used to.

Hope that helps!
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

I can change the setting and it works fine for one or two calls. then the next time I dial 7 digits I get an error message.
I can go back in and the setting are still set for 7 digit calling. If I just click submit again and reboot, then it will work again for one or two calls.

OBi-Guru

Your digitmap parameter might be overwritten by OBiTALK configurator. 

If you wish to modify the digitmap manually from the device webpage, then disable the provisioning parameter:
System Management -> AutoProvisioning -> Method -> Disabled.

Then your modified parameters won't be overwritten anymore.

We might add this 7 digit dialing capability from OBiTALK in the future.

obitalk@svpelican.com

Traditions

This would be a great addition to ObiTalk!!!

jimates

Quote from: OBi-Guru on January 28, 2011, 05:19:30 PM
Your digitmap parameter might be overwritten by OBiTALK configurator. 

If you wish to modify the digitmap manually from the device webpage, then disable the provisioning parameter:
System Management -> AutoProvisioning -> Method -> Disabled.

Then your modified parameters won't be overwritten anymore.

We might add this 7 digit dialing capability from OBiTALK in the future.
For those reading this thread for 7 digit dialing info. This feature was added. It is now configurable in ObiTalk on the main page for your sp1 or sp2 provider.