News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Send/Receive FAX for free - set up?

Started by kellychipman19, September 29, 2013, 09:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellychipman19

All I want to do with my OBi 200 is send and receive FAX for free from my brother MFC-J591. How do I do this? I have already set up a google voice number. THANKS

Shale

kellychipman19

I already have Google voice set up, just need to know what to do so I can send and receive a FAX which is the only thing I really want to do with OBi.

Shale

Quote from: kellychipman19 on September 30, 2013, 08:17:46 AM
I already have Google voice set up, just need to know what to do so I can send and receive a FAX which is the only thing I really want to do with OBi.
Plug the fax machine into the  OBi200 phone port.

Look into your manual for settings that may be better for VOIP. See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=6667.0 including the second post where I name the settings that my Brother MFC had. Others provided info for other machines. I don't know what menu items your printer has. It may work OK with no setting changes.

Brandito

I was able to hook my brother mfc j475dw up to one of the lines on my obi202 and send/receive faxes right away.

Some have said to use a slower transfer rate with your fax machine to get better reliability, but my machine doesn't have an option for this, may be automatic for all I know. GV uses a less popular protocol for faxing, but so far I've had very good luck.

kellychipman19

Incoming FAX today on my MFC-J5910DW said poor line condition and did not come through? I don't see where I can change the transmission speed on my machine? Any suggestions?

Brandito

Have you tried sending test faxes?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00259105

try there, they'll let you send a fax then send you a confirmation fax so you can test sending and receiving in one go. Doesn't matter if you don't have an HP.

Might also try setting the obi up for QoS on your router as a voice device. Not sure it will make much difference, but worth testing.

kellychipman19

Finally found a VOIP setting in the general set up of my brother machine and sent off a test fax to HP. Crossing my fingers!

kellychipman19

Shale

Please post the setting(s) that made the difference.

jeffsbaker

I too was having this same problem of trying to fax with my Brother printer and Obitalk 200 with Google Voice.  When I would send a fax I would get a printout with "NG: POOR LINE CONDITION".  This is with a Brother MFC-7840W.  I had to lower the fax speed.  It is different instructions for different models of Brother printers.  But for mine it was:

Press Menu or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Fax.
Press OK or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Miscellaneous.
Press OK or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Compatibility.
Press OK or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose the modem speed you want to use.
Choose Basic (for VoIP).

Basic sets the speed to 9600 and turns off Error Correction Mode.

See http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc990cw_all&faqid=faq00002696_009

SteveInWA

Quote from: jeffsbaker on May 21, 2015, 04:20:05 PM
I too was having this same problem of trying to fax with my Brother printer and Obitalk 200 with Google Voice.  When I would send a fax I would get a printout with "NG: POOR LINE CONDITION".  This is with a Brother MFC-7840W.  I had to lower the fax speed.  It is different instructions for different models of Brother printers.  But for mine it was:

Press Menu or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Fax.
Press OK or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Miscellaneous.
Press OK or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose Compatibility.
Press OK or Menu/Set.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to choose the modem speed you want to use.
Choose Basic (for VoIP).

Basic sets the speed to 9600 and turns off Error Correction Mode.

See http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc990cw_all&faqid=faq00002696_009

Thanks for documenting!

Your comment is the key to making it work on any fax machine:

[Set] the speed to 9600 and turn off Error Correction Mode.