News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

UK Caller ID not showing on OBI110

Started by Gavo, October 15, 2013, 08:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavo

The caller-id is not showing on incoming calls from either the PSTN or from i/c SIP calls. The number shows up under SP1 (in call history) but nothing against PHONE1 (in call history) or on the actual phone - just says number unavailable.
o/g calls is no problem (even when caller-id is spoofed).

Any ideas ?

Regards

Gavin

ianobi

QuoteThe number shows up under SP1 (in call history) but nothing against PHONE1 (in call history)

This is normal for an inbound call. However, it should still be passed on to your phone. If you look at Status > PHONE & Line Status > LastCallerInfo, then the CallerID of the last call should show there under Phone Port. If it is showing there, then it may be a problem with your phone or the way your OBi110 passes numbers to your phone. The standard CallerID method in the UK is FSK(V23). There are settings for this in the Phone Port and Line Port sections.

The above may explain the problems with your incoming PSTN calls. Again look at Status > PHONE & Line Status > LastCallerInfo. The CallerID should show under Line Port and Phone Port. If your line is British Telecom, have you paid to received CallerID? They don't give much away for nothing   :)  If it's another company, then it should be FSK(V23), but I have seen other methods from cable companies who use a variety of exchanges.

drgeoff

Quote from: ianobi on October 15, 2013, 09:37:32 AMIf your line is British Telecom, have you paid to received CallerID? They don't give much away for nothing
Caller ID can currently be obtained from BT at no extra cost by taking their free 'Privacy at Home' add-on.  However the version with CallerID becomes chargeable from next January. unless existing users pre-register.  See http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/landline/calling-features.

Gavo

A bit further down the line in diagnosis....

Got hold of an old BT 50 caller display unit and testing on a BT pstn line can hear the v.23 data burst caller id data and can see a polarity reversal is happening prior to that (I have a linesman's test phone).

Attached to the OBI phone port, set for FSK v.23, caller-id line reversal, 370+620||310nF impedance and 50v DC on the port I can see the line reversal taking place prior to the v.23 data burst and subsequent ringing but the caller display unit sees no call at all.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Gavin

ianobi

QuoteAgain look at Status > PHONE & Line Status > LastCallerInfo. The CallerID should show under Line Port and Phone Port.

Check the above. It will show if the OBi registers CallerID on the Line Port and then if it passed it on to the Phone Port.

Did you also set the Line Port CallerIDDetectMethod to FSK(V.23) ?

Gavo

Ianobi,

FSK v.23 is set on both the line and phone ports. Caller-id works fine if I connect a "normal" Panasonic phone to the phone port but the BT Caller Id is still showing nothing, yet if I connect it directly to the pstn all is well.

It's like the BT box is "too strict" on it's adherence to the caller-id standard in the UK.

Regards

Gavin

Gavo

Just a quick update - not sure if it is relevant.

Looked at the "PHONE and LINE Port Status" via OBItalk and can see 45v on one port (presumably line) and -48v on the other port (phone ?). Wondering if this is of consequence re: the polarity reversal when caller-id is sent.

Regards

Gavin

ianobi

QuoteLooked at the "PHONE and LINE Port Status" via OBItalk and can see 45v on one port (presumably line) and -48v on the other port (phone ?). Wondering if this is of consequence re: the polarity reversal when caller-id is sent.

This looks quite normal to me. I've never checked to see if the OBi110 passes on a line reversal from the Line Port to the Phone Port. Maybe the BT box is looking for that and the Panasonic is not bothered.

You might experiment with Phone Port > CallerIDTrigger. I have mine set to "Before First Ring" and it works reliably (although I don't use BT). You might try "After Polarity Reversal".