News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 same voip account for both lines

Started by Terryl, October 21, 2013, 02:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terryl

Hi, I have an obi100 that I'm using with sipgate for voip, and it's working well. I'm considering getting an obi202 and would like to know if I can configure both lines with the same voip account, such that two phones would both ring when someone calls this number. Will this work? Thanks, Terry

azrobert

I have a Yate server registered to Sipgate. For a test I registered a softphone to my Sipgate account. When I called my Sipgate number both devices rang.

Are you using the USA Sipgate service? Did you know they are shutting down at the end of this month?

If you're not using the USA Sipgate you should test yourself to make sure the non-USA version works the same. I used the Phonerlite softphone on a PC.

Terryl

Great thanks, good idea, will do. I'm using the uk/eu sipgate, but thanks for the heads up! Terry

giqcass

You can have both phones ring on an OBi202 even without registering twice.  You can also use a splitter to connect multiple phones.  Usually up to 5 according to reports.  This number may vary depending on the individual phones. 

If you just want to make both phones ring then a simple splitter will suffice. The upgrade to an OBi202 is only necessary if you want to take multiple calls at the same time. The advantage of having multiple registrations only comes into play if you have multiple channels with your VOIP provider.  In this case if both lines have a separate registration and a call comes in on line one you can take another call on line 2.  Most providers give two channels and have the option to purchase additional channels.

I propose you do the same experiment suggested but see what happens when a second call comes in well you are taking the first call.  That will let you know whether you would get the most bang for your buck.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ianobi

Terry,

I do use sipgate.co.uk. They do allow multiple registrations. The first incoming call will fork to both devices, the first to answer will connect to the call. The second incoming call (assuming the first call is still ongoing) will ring the second device. It is worth noting that the first device will get a call waiting tone if you have that facility set up.

In summary, one sipgate.co.uk account gives you two trunks which work independently. You can make two outbound calls, two inbound calls or one of each simultaneously.

Terryl

Quote from: giqcass on October 22, 2013, 12:32:54 AM
You can have both phones ring on an OBi202 even without registering twice.  You can also use a splitter to connect multiple phones.  Usually up to 5 according to reports.  This number may vary depending on the individual phones. 

If you just want to make both phones ring then a simple splitter will suffice. The upgrade to an OBi202 is only necessary if you want to take multiple calls at the same time. The advantage of having multiple registrations only comes into play if you have multiple channels with your VOIP provider.  In this case if both lines have a separate registration and a call comes in on line one you can take another call on line 2.  Most providers give two channels and have the option to purchase additional channels.

I propose you do the same experiment suggested but see what happens when a second call comes in well you are taking the first call.  That will let you know whether you would get the most bang for your buck.

Thanks very much, that's good to know. I've got [several] splitters lying around, but the problem is that I need to connect a device with a high enough REN to kill the other DECT basestation for our everyday cordless phones. I'm presuming that the 202 will offer a REN of five on 'each' line, not shared between the two.

Terryl

Quote from: ianobi on October 22, 2013, 03:42:19 AM
Terry,

I do use sipgate.co.uk. They do allow multiple registrations. The first incoming call will fork to both devices, the first to answer will connect to the call. The second incoming call (assuming the first call is still ongoing) will ring the second device. It is worth noting that the first device will get a call waiting tone if you have that facility set up.

In summary, one sipgate.co.uk account gives you two trunks which work independently. You can make two outbound calls, two inbound calls or one of each simultaneously.

Excellent, there seems like a solid consensus that my plan will be okay. Thanks, Terry

giqcass

I have never heard it discussed whether it's 5 REN per port or per device.  Amplifiers are available should you ever need one.

On Callcentric I believe they offer free sub accounts.  Depending on how you want the system to operate a SubAccount might be a good way to go.  All calls can ring both accounts and allow them to function as separate lines but it would also allow transfer of calls from one phone to the other.
Long live our new ObiLords!