News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting LandLine from Clear to Google Voice

Started by Milton, October 25, 2013, 05:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

Ok, so I started this with an area code 210 (San Antonio, TX) land line with Clear, the goal is to port it to Google Voice.  Here is what has happened so far:

10/13/2013 - $00.00 Signed up for Google Voice.  Configured it so only callers on my white list are forwarded to my cell phone, all others go to voice mail.  Confirmed that GV will port my land line but not before it becomes a mobile number.

10/15/2013 - $39.00 Ordered Obi100 from Amazon

10/18/2013 - $00.00 Obi100 arrived

10/20/2013 - $00.00 Configured GV to forward callers on white list to Obi100 & cell phone, all other callers go to voice mail.

10/21/2013 - $00.00 Confirmed with Clear that there is no charge to port number out of Clear, but it will cancel my Clear phone service. No problem, I have completed my contract obligations.  Confirmed that Clear does not use a password or pin, if the service I'm porting into wants one just use your 10 digit phone number.

10/21/2013 - $00.00 Confirmed with TracFone there is no charge to port number into TracFone and no charge to port number out of TracFone.  Porting a land line into TracFone can take up to 4 days.

10/21/2013 - $10.00 Bought a TracFone at WallMart.  While it does not say it on the outside of the package, inside it tells you it comes with 10 minutes airtime to allow you to set-up service.  WalMart clerk activated the phone and started the port process (be sure to bring a copy of your Clear bill).

10/21/2013 - $00.00 3 hours later, port has progressed to the point where I can place an outgoing call on the TracFone, in-coming calls go to TracFone voice mail.  TracFone says "patience Grasshopper, we said it could take up to 4 days".

10/25/2013 - $00.00 Powered up the TracFone this morning, got a text message saying the port had completed last night at 11PM.  Called my Land Line and the TracFone rang!!!! 9.16 minutes airtime left.

Summary: So for $10 I have ported my Clear Land Line to a Mobile number using TracFone.  Plan is to let it "cook" for a couple of days, then port to GV (GV wants $20.00 for that).  I'll update the with the results.

DonM

Milton,

I have a couple of questions.

I want to port 2 land lines (personal & business). How much down time (inability to make or receive calls) after you start the 2 step porting process?

The Obi web site mentions a sim card is necessary to the porting process. Is this included in the Tracfone purchase at Walmarts?

thanks

don

Rick

Quote from: DonM on October 25, 2013, 10:01:28 AM
Milton,

I want to port 2 land lines (personal & business). How much down time (inability to make or receive calls) after you start the 2 step porting process?

The Obi web site mentions a sim card is necessary to the porting process. Is this included in the Tracfone purchase at Walmarts?

thanks

don

There is no "down time".  They may be a time where the old number rings on the new phone but when you make a call on the new phone it still shows the cell caller id.

A SIM card is NOT necessary to the porting process, but many cell providers use phones with SIM cards in them, and the SIM is what holds the number when you port over.  You could port to a Verizon Wireless non-SIM phone if you wanted to.

Milton

Quote from: DonM on October 25, 2013, 10:01:28 AM
Milton,

thanks

don

Down time: Well so far I've had a period of partial down time (meaning I could make a call but could not receive a call) from Monday at ~4pm, until Thursday at ~11pm.  I have not started the port from TracFone to Google Voice so I do not know the nature or duration of any additional "down time".  Now during the time I could not receive a call, the callers went to the TracFone voice mail.  I suspect you could use a custom voice mail announcement requesting people to call you at a different number.

SIM Card: Yes the TracFone from Walmart comes with a SIM card and 10 minutes of airtime.  It's a complete working cell phone.  It's a cheap, non-smart cell phone, but it is a working cell phone complete with a wall charger, car charger and hands free headphone.

Milton

Ok, so I started this with an area code 210 (San Antonio, TX) land line with Clear, the goal is to port it to Google Voice.  Here is what has happened so far:

10/13/2013 - $00.00 Signed up for Google Voice.  Configured it so only callers on my white list are forwarded to my cell phone, all others go to voice mail.  Confirmed that GV will port my land line but not before it becomes a mobile number.

10/15/2013 - $39.00 Ordered Obi100 from Amazon

10/18/2013 - $00.00 Obi100 arrived

10/20/2013 - $00.00 Configured GV to forward callers on white list to Obi100 & cell phone, all other callers go to voice mail.

10/21/2013 - $00.00 Confirmed with Clear that there is no charge to port number out of Clear, but it will cancel my Clear phone service. No problem, I have completed my contract obligations.  Confirmed that Clear does not use a password or pin, if the service I'm porting into wants one just use your 10 digit phone number.

10/21/2013 - $00.00 Confirmed with TracFone there is no charge to port number into TracFone and no charge to port number out of TracFone.  Porting a land line into TracFone can take up to 4 days.

10/21/2013 - $10.00 Bought a TracFone at WallMart.  While it does not say it on the outside of the package, inside it tells you it comes with 10 minutes airtime to allow you to set-up service.  WalMart clerk activated the phone and started the port process (be sure to bring a copy of your Clear bill).

10/21/2013 - $00.00 3 hours later, port has progressed to the point where I can place an outgoing call on the TracFone, in-coming calls go to TracFone voice mail.  TracFone says "patience Grasshopper, we said it could take up to 4 days".

10/25/2013 - $00.00 Powered up the TracFone this morning, got a text message saying the port had completed last night at 11PM.  Called my Land Line and the TracFone rang!!!! 9.16 minutes airtime left.

Summary: So for $10 I have ported my Clear Land Line to a Mobile number using TracFone.  Plan is to let it "cook" for a couple of days, then port to GV (GV wants $20.00 for that).  I'll update the with the results.

10/27/2013 - $20.00 Confirmed with TracFone that Google Voice would not need a password or pin to port my number to GV. Important, read the user manual for your TracFone cell phone so that you know how to send DTMF tones, required to verify the port with GV.  At~4pm, went to GV and started the port process from TracFone to GV. Turns out it's actually a port from AT&T =>GV, I guess they bought TracFone.

10/28/2013 - $00.00 At about 4pm the port completed. I was not aware of any downtime during the port from TracFone to GV.

Summary: $30.00 to port from Clear to GV. Should work for porting a landline from any carrier to GV.

Next: a quest for cheap E911 service. I'll update on that in the future.

Milton

LuvU43v3r

did you read the new posting blog ? We have only 6 months left to use GV over obitalk  >:(

steve54301

Yeah, I did just this 3 years ago.  And in the back of my mind I figured at some point it would stop being free.  But I figured it would be competitively priced, when it stopped being free.  I didn't factor in the whole, just scrapped aspect :-(

I wonder how feasible it would be for a future adapter to run android.  And then the user who buys it, can go to google play and purchase an app.  This way it wouldn't be a third party application, and google who provides the service would have more control over the end user application, since they will have authored it.

Kind how a cellphone app works.