News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Remote provisioning of new units

Started by obtuser, October 27, 2013, 08:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obtuser

Is there a way to add a new, out-of-the-box unit as an additional endpoint to an existing Obitalk account if the unit is remotely located? In other words, can someone order an Obi unit and then upon receipt provide me the Obi Number of the unit so that I can provision it remotely? I see this kind of functionality listed in the manual as 'Zero-Touch, Massive Scale Remote Provisioning' but I don't want to do anything massive :), just set up some units for family members where I would like them to have to do nothing more than simply plug the unit into an Internet connection. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Shale

I think so, via OBiTalk, but maybe I have missed something. We will see what others say. That presumes you won't have to change settings on the router; I did not have to make changes in my router.

Doing things that would require you to access the local web server would be more involved.  That should not be required. One such thing would be to look at the call history.

obtuser

Yes, I can see how to add a device if you have access to it on the local LAN,  but not if it is remote. I am hoping that when a unit is powered up it 'phones home' and can be accessed remotely by Obi Number and/or some other method of authentication.

Shale

I would use a separate email on OBiTalk to set up the new unit.

I don't think you need direct LAN access. The OBi will make its presence known to OBiTalk on its own. You work with the OBiTalk server.

obtuser

Yes, but how would I communicate with the unit if I do not have physical access and thus cannot dial the code through the local phone port to trigger the process?

YohanT

I have the same problem. I have 2 devices in different locations and physical access to one of them only. Due to problems with my service Provider PhonePower I thought it would help to delete the 2nd (remote) device. Now I want to add it again to my OBi talk account remotely. My understanding of this thread is that it is possible but I could not find instructions here or elsewhere.