News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone connected to OBI200 won't ring

Started by rrr1, October 29, 2013, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrr1

Reposted here...

Hi. New OBI user here.
I'm having trouble getting the OBI200 and Google Voice set up.

Using the phone connected to the OBI I can call the OBI attendant OK, and I can place phone calls to others OK. But when I call my GV number using a friend's phone all my phones ring properly, except the phone connected to the OBI. It does not ring.

I read the OBI faqs about this happening, but I have everything it lists setup properly (I have Google Chat setup with a gmail email address, etc)

Any suggestions?

thanks

azrobert

Quote from: jimates on March 04, 2012, 03:20:02 PM

1 - Did you make one successful call from within gmail using google chat.
2 - Did you check the box for "Google Talk" as a forwarding phone on your google voice page.
3 - Make sure you do not have your gmail account open in a browser window while trying to receive calls to the Obi.
4 - Make sure you do not have any conflicting apps running on a smart phone while trying to receive calls to the Obi (Groove IP, Talkatone etc.)
5 - Make sure the X_InboundCallRoute for the google voice SP includes "ph".

In addition to the above you must be signed out of Gmail Chat.

rrr1

jimates:

1 - Did you make one successful call from within gmail using google chat.
        From what I can tell, I need a mic to use Chat...I don't have a mic on my computer. Anyway around this?

2 - Did you check the box for "Google Talk" as a forwarding phone on your google voice page.
        I checked the box for "Google Chat". I don't see a box called "Google Talk". Same thing?

3 - Make sure you do not have your gmail account open in a browser window while trying to receive calls to the Obi.
        I did this, no difference. But then this is a serious problem with OBI.... I can't receive calls on the OBI if I'm working in my email account? Most of my time is spent in gmail. No workaround for this?

4 - Make sure you do not have any conflicting apps running on a smart phone while trying to receive calls to the Obi (Groove IP, Talkatone etc.)
       OK.. I have none of these.

5 - Make sure the X_InboundCallRoute for the google voice SP includes "ph".
       Where are these settings?

thanks

Shale

1. Make the call without a mike. Call yourself. If the call works, and I think it will, that's fine. If you had to have a mike to make the call, you would buy or borrow one. You can buy one for well under $10 if you buy right. But while you are at it, you might want to buy a headset with a boom mike so that you could use it for other things. Your friend has one in a drawer that has a broken headband, but otherwise still works. But you are not going to need one anyway.

3. There are different opinions on this. I use a separate account, and I am sure there is no unwanted interaction. See OBI http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0
see reply #59, #60 and #62

5. If you don't know, then this is unlikely to be a problem. The defaults would include ph.

rrr1

If I try to make a call without a microphone. It won't let me... I get this msg:

"We couldn't detect a proper audio setup. Please ensure your microphone is working and try again"

Not happy about needing buying a mic just to setup OBI.....probably won't use it otherwise...  no other ways around this?

thanks again

Shale

1. Use your friend's computer. Many laptop computers have a built-in microphone.

2. Use your friend's microphone on your computer. If you have no friends with computers, ask your friends if they have such friends.

3. Try your school or library. See if they will let you use a computer with a microphone briefly.

4. Go to Ebay. Sign in. Search for microphone. Select buy it now as a search criterion. Sort by price +shipping lowest. Some are incredibly cheap. Consider shipping time.

rrr1

Ok... I found a broken mic... and made a call.

Now, when I make a call to my GV number all my phones ring... still the phone connected to OBI does not ring... BUT.. if I pick up the phone connected to the OBI when my other phones are ringing it does answer the call. Weird.

The phone connected to the OBI is a circa 1980 corded phone. Is there a change I need to make somewhere on the OBI setup to change the ringer impedance? or?

thanks again....getting closer!  :-)

Lavarock7

It might be possible to plug another earphone or speaker into that port, Windows might think the load is enough to think there is a mike there.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Shale

Do the "echo test" to check audio and phone cord. That does not require GV to be working.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0

Quote from: rrr1 on October 30, 2013, 11:18:44 AM

The phone connected to the OBI is a circa 1980 corded phone. Is there a change I need to make somewhere on the OBI setup to change the ringer impedance? or?

Try a different phone plugged into the OBi.

I would set up GV for now to not ring any phones other than to forward the call to Google Chat.

rrr1

Quote from: Shale on October 30, 2013, 12:27:41 PM
Do the "echo test" to check audio and phone cord. That does not require GV to be working.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0

Quote from: rrr1 on October 30, 2013, 11:18:44 AM

Try a different phone plugged into the OBi.

This solved the problem...  I saw somewhere that there are impedance adjustments in the OBI device if there are ringer issues like this. Where is the OBI config area where this can be adjusted? Worst case I'll get a new phone... but don't want to if not needed ;)

I would set up GV for now to not ring any phones other than to forward the call to Google Chat.

Shale

Impedance adjustments are only for echo. And even then it is mostly for very long phone lines.

It should not be a ringer thing. Now if you had a bunch of phones hooked to the phone jack of the OBi, that could load down the ring generator.

Inspect the problem phone. Maybe it has a switch for its ringer. It could also be a phone made for a different phone system, such as UK.

rrr1

Solved  :)

I changed the ringer freq on the OBI config page from 20 to 40... and phone now rings.  ;D ;D

Thanks for all your help.

Shale

Cool. Now that you mention it, I remember somebody saying that some phone detected trapezoidal better than the default sinusoidal.

rrr1

I tried trapezoidal, and also changing the ringer voltage... but those did nothing... only the freq made the difference.

thanks again