News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Quality Problem - Choppy Connection

Started by waffles, April 16, 2011, 02:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waffles

I am trying to set up an OBi110, which I recently bought. I followed the instructions on the OBItalk website to set it up. Overall, it seems to work. The other parties confirm that the call quality is very good. However, on my side the connection is always very choppy: very frequently cutting out and then being silent for several seconds. I have configured the OBi for GV (SP1) and Callcentric (SP2) and it happens with both accounts. It also does not matter whether I initiate the call or receive it. I already went through the usual reboots, etc.

Setup:
Roadrunner Cable modem, Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT f/w. OBi110 directly connected to Linksys router.

OBi110 runs latest f/w. SP1 is configured for GV, SP2 for Callcentric, using the default profiles from the OBitalk configuration tool.

The OBi replaces a Linksys SPA-1001, which has been running in this setup successfully for a few years.

Any idea how to fix it?

TIA!

uRwhatUr

Quote from: waffles on April 16, 2011, 02:04:11 PM
However, on my side the connection is always very choppy: very frequently cutting out and then being silent for several seconds. I have configured the OBi for GV (SP1) and Callcentric (SP2) and it happens with both accounts.

While I cannot offer a solution, my situation is similar to yours.  I have my OBi  as you - GV(SP1) and Callcentric (SP2). I initially had GV set as my primary and I too experienced the choppy and long pause on GV calls. However, I didn't have any issues with Callcentric calls. I had to change Callcentric to my primary as my wife couldn't stand the choppy calls. We haven't experienced any problems through Callcentric.

EOC_Jason

Maybe upgrade your WRT54G to the latest recommended firmware (i.e. check the DD-WRT forums, there's a stick with the recommended build to use)...

Likewise make sure QoS is DISABLED on the router. It seems to cause more problems than it solves on residential-grade routers...

waffles

Thanks for all your replies.
I'll try my spare router next, see if this makes a difference.

daibaan

I have similar config too, GV+Callcentric, however, I've been mainly using GV for almost all my calls, I am using a airlink AR430W DD-WRT as router.

I initially configure no QoS and protocol based (SIP, RTP) QoS on my router, this did not help, I then changed it to MAC based and IP base QoS, and saturate both my downlink and up link DSL channel with P2P upload/download and remote desktop updates, GV quality remain un-affected

My guess is that protocol based QoS takes a lot of CPU on the router to do deep packet inspection and does not work well, MAC/IP based QoS is better for low end router

myeh

I'm facing the same problem with a similar setup.  I have a WRT54G running DD-WRT.  I contacted support and they told me to check for packet loss and sure enough I was losing about a third of the packets sent to the obi110.   CS suggested to try connecting a switch between the obi110 and my router which very oddly seemed to fix the packet loss and my audio quality problems.  I hope they come up with a real solution since not everyone will have a spare switch sitting around or is willing to buy one just for this problem.

bitbrain

Also having the choppy connection issue as described here.  I'll try adding a switch between the OBI and the router, but any idea *why* that would that make a difference?

bitbrain

I added a switch between my obi110 and my router.  I still get 25% packet loss for pings, and the call quality issue still remains.

kojenhome

I have GV in SP1 as well. The choppy connection is definitely damaging to my business calls. Running Skype on my PC seems to fare better.

This, along with the DTMF problem gives me buyer's remorse.

Love to hear a real solution.

OBi-Guru

Please email support@obihai.com with your 9 digit OBi number.  They could diagnose the choppy audio.
With respect to DTMF tones, please update the firmware on your OBi (press ***6 and 1 to confirm) - this issue is resolved.

chaiwan2000

I have a similar situation as uRwhatUr... choppy audio with GV but no issue with CallCentric. I also monitor my LAN/WAN traffic rate (running DD-WRT on a E3000) while I was on a call. LAN is about 500Kbps and WAN about 100Kbps during the call which is nowhere near what Xfinity offers me. Running latest 5/17 firmware and my Obi110 is connected directly to my E3000 too.

Any idea/suggestion?

kojenhome

I am happy to report that the OBi performed satisfactorily today with regard to both the choppy connection issue and the DTMF issue. The only thing I did was downloading the latest firmware version 1.2.1 (Build: 2286). All the measurements confirmed that the OBi behaved well.

I do have Powerline modules to provide Ethernet connections around the house. The modules have built in switch hubs.

Thanks to the Obihai Support Team.

mdSeuss

My standard recommendations to resolve choppy audio is:

1.  Turn off bittorrents
2.  Make sure your bittorrents are turned off
3.  Stop using wireless
4.  Check for packet loss

To test phone call quality, I sometimes call 703-376-ECHO (3246) which lets you record a message and hear it played back to judge upstream/downstream quality.