News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Started by AntonS, October 31, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gderf

I agree, GV should be removed as a configuration choice once GV shuts off XMPP.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 05, 2014, 06:56:46 PM
While it would be nice if Obihai added more features to the 110 in place of GV, my guess is it might not have the processor power to support the ones you listed, and even if it does, they'd probably rather phase out the 110 as EOL, and sell the newer units.
I'm not totally convinced that having more SP slots does require significantly more processing power.  Yes, having more codecs in use simultaneously would but that isn't what I'm asking for with more SP slots.  Agree processing power might be an issue with the fax codec - I haven't investigated the workings of T.38 enough to form any opinion on that.

I hope they don't phase out the 110 without releasing a superior unit which also has integrated PSTN.  I don't like the OBiLINE approach.

synchron

Quote from: gderf on January 01, 2014, 08:30:23 PM
Having said that, can someone explain how Sipsorcery works? If they have "the longest running working solution", I would like to investigate that. Is it a genuine alternative to Obi /GV after May 15 ?

I still use my free sipsorcery account to monitor inbound/outbound calls via email. My Obi's SP2 is currently set at sipsorcery.com for backup.

The way it works is through GV's webcallback feature which is not going away post 5/15.  I use a free ipKall DID that is also set to sipsorcery.com and when I dial out with a **2 prefix, it goes through with no phone ringing on my end using a built-in function call in the sipsorcery script that uses the same process as when you use the Callback feature from Google Voice.

Come this May, I really hope Obi's FW developer's come up with a WebRTC/Hangouts solution but from the blog, this looks doubtful.  Redpepper who develops both the GVJack app and the GVmate from PCPhoneSoft assures that these will continue to work post 5/15 so if he could do it, I would think ObiHai's development staff could as well.

dircom

I have obi's in three locations, plus my daughter has two
Is it possible to share one sipcorcery account for all the obi's in order to call out using various GV accounts
if so, how many concurrent calls could you make?

mo832

synchron wrote:
"I still use my free sipsorcery account to monitor inbound/outbound calls via email. My Obi's SP2 is currently set at sipsorcery.com for backup. "
:
:
"The way it works is through GV's webcallback feature which is not going away post 5/15.  I use a free ipKall DID that is also set to sipsorcery.com and when I dial out with a **2 prefix, it goes through with no phone ringing on my end using a built-in function call in the sipsorcery script that uses the same process as when you use the Callback feature from Google Voice."

------

I have read elsewhere in this thread that sipsorcery costs at least $69 a year or so. Is there still a free option? If there is, is there an easy (for dummies) guide posted anywhere to set up the callback script so that you could dial directly from the phone without having to click a button on the GV website?

gderf

Sipsorcery was free in the past. But no more. Those who had free accounts are grandfathered in and remain free. All new accounts must be paid for.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

mo832

Well, that answers my question. That idea sure ended quickly :).

wpbear

Here is my current setup that I am testing.  

Incoming:

Localphone Free Incoming SIP attached to IPKall (Free DID)

Verified GV to the IPKALL Free DID

Connected localphone to SP1 on Obi100

So far every call to my GV # has rung my home Obi landline handset in the past 48 hrs-still testing to be sure.

Outgoing:

For outgoing I am using an app (Android) to start a GV callback.

https://code.google.com/p/free-phone-call/downloads/detail?name=GV-Call-Back.apk

On my Android smartphone I dial the number in normal dialer. (Android is connected by wifi to home internet) The phone asks if I want to dial via google callback.  Select yes, then my home phone rings (not the smartphone).  I answer it and it starts dialing, ringing and connects to the intended number.

No cost for inbound or outbound and still using Obi100 and GV.  

Outbound CallerID shows my GV # as intended.

Turn off localphone VM and GV VM still answers and sends me an email/text with the VM.

Two reasons for using localphone.  First, no problems with IPKALL, localphone, GV with unreliable forwarding as Callcentric has been having.  Localphone has been reliable for this flow of calls.  Second, $1 increments to add money to account.  I may put $1 on it as a back up to make direct outbound calls (it never expires-I don't have to worry about expiring like voipcheap).  Anveo minimum is $20 prepay at a time.

911:

For 911 or an emergency # you can program the Obi to dial a specific 10 digit  # when dialing 911 from handset.  So find out the local emergency center's 10 digit and program your obi. Link to instructions to program 911: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.0

lhm.

And when you call that local 10 digit emergency # and get a recording, your relatives, friends and neighbors will really be impressed with your VoIP setup.

7Priest7

Quote from: lhm. on January 06, 2014, 07:11:13 PM
And when you call that local 10 digit emergency # and get a recording, your relatives, friends and neighbors will really be impressed with your VoIP setup.
My 10 digit 911 number is 2124797990.
I know they will get a message.
The rejection hotline message.

I hate the police and would consider it a insult for anyone to attempt to contact them in my home.

giqcass

Quote from: wpbear on January 06, 2014, 06:43:54 PM
I may put $1 on it as a back up to make direct outbound calls (it never expires-I don't have to worry about expiring like voipcheap).  
You actually must make at least one outbound call per year on localphone to be sure your credit won't expire.

Quote from: wpbear on January 06, 2014, 06:43:54 PM

For outgoing I am using an app (Android) to start a GV callback.

https://code.google.com/p/free-phone-call/downloads/detail?name=GV-Call-Back.apk

On my Android smartphone I dial the number in normal dialer. (Android is connected by wifi to home internet) The phone asks if I want to dial via google callback.  Select yes, then my home phone rings (not the smartphone).  I answer it and it starts dialing, ringing and connects to the intended number.

If you set google callback as default and use a Blutooth connected cordless phone you can automate that further.  Dial the call via bluetooth, your phone beeps with an incoming call, then switch lines.  I got that to work with a cellfusion cordless phone.  No need to touch the Android phone at all when making a free outbound call.
Long live our new ObiLords!

mo832

What recording? I don't understand.

As far as relatives, friends, and visitors, if they ever have to use your phone, they already will know they cannot dial out without a special process. But then, if you're buying phone service to seek approval of your social circle, you probably shouldn't have an Obi or voip in the first place. Just buy full-blown wireline service with all related costs, fees, and taxes.

lhm.

My experience or surprise came when I dialed the non-emergency # that is serviced by the same staff/office personnel as 911 and received a recording that they were busy and to leave a message for a callback or if an emergency to dial 911.

The above being said I would suggest that you call your non-emergency # and inquire how they handle that type situation.

wpbear

If there is $1 on it then the recording won't happen.  Yes everyone should verify the 10 digit # to the emergency center and may not be an option in every area.

If your cell works then that can always be used for 911 as well. 

And if we really want to look down on this setup lets add the fact that VOIP is not as reliable as true landline.  So maybe everyone should just get a copper landline for 911......

wpbear

Quote from: mo832 on January 07, 2014, 07:40:11 AM

What recording? I don't understand.

As far as relatives, friends, and visitors, if they ever have to use your phone, they already will know they cannot dial out without a special process. But then, if you're buying phone service to seek approval of your social circle, you probably shouldn't have an Obi or voip in the first place. Just buy full-blown wireline service with all related costs, fees, and taxes.

+1

synchron

Quote from: mo832 on January 06, 2014, 02:55:40 PM
I have read elsewhere in this thread that sipsorcery costs at least $69 a year or so. Is there still a free option? If there is, is there an easy (for dummies) guide posted anywhere to set up the callback script so that you could dial directly from the phone without having to click a button on the GV website?

For $69/yr you can have multi SIP accounts and multi-registered bindings - ATA's with each one tied to a GV account via a seperate dialplan to call back to using either ipKall or Callcentric DID's to be used as the callback.

As far as being grandfathered in as a free user, that can change anytime.  If I had to start paying, I would but it's nice that the owner of the site (who is one heckuva programmer, BTW) has kept it free to some of us.

AshGV

I have not seen any mention of Obivoice (www.obivoice.com) so far. I stumbled on it just couple of days ago while researching cheap SIP providers. Doesn't seem to be any relation to Obi as such as far as I can see.

This service comes into the category of OBI device users who would rather switch to a cheap paid incoming/outgoing SIP provider while keeping their GV number.

Several plans exist including month to month and annual and biannual, limited minutes to unlimited. I needed unlimited one as I do long conf. calls daily from home. Annual pre-paid unlimited calling is $49, which is not bad at all. They offer CallerID spoofing, so I have it setup to show my Google Voice number. International rates are not bad either.

I have their service setup as SP2 on OBI100 now. So far I am satisfied - I wasn't satisfied with GV as people reported broken voice sometimes. I will signup for annual once I have test driven for 1 month.

SteveInWA

There are already two other threads discussing this service provider; no need to add it to this discussion, too.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7177.0

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7149.0

There is also a (typically) very long discussion of them over on DSLReports.

I think their service is not unlimited, so if you are on daily long conference calls, you should look into the calling minutes included in their plans, and read the discussions on the other threads.

AshGV

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 26, 2014, 05:27:05 PM
There are already two other threads discussing this service provider; no need to add it to this discussion, too.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7177.0

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7149.0

There is also a (typically) very long discussion of them over on DSLReports.

I think their service is not unlimited, so if you are on daily long conference calls, you should look into the calling minutes included in their plans, and read the discussions on the other threads.

Thanks for links to other forums. I would have thought there would mention of theirs here where we are discussing alternatives, but then perhaps their service is fairly new (started in Jan, 14?)

I think for unlimited being limited - I think it might be related to very long calls of total 5-6 hours daily will be classified as business use. Mine are 1-2 hours daily, but still I will read the fine print. I signed up for month to month initially just for this reason to try out.

jonsid

I was excited three years ago when I was able to make free phone calls with my computer through Google.  I thought, if only there was a device so I wouldn't have to use my computer and then I discovered OBI.  It was so great I gave up my land line, could still use my cordless phones and saved a bunch of money since then.  Now things are going to change again and I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. 
I can still make free phone calls using Google Hangouts, even video calls too through my computer, plus there are many extra features with Google.  So why do I need another service except for 911?  So my computer has to stay on all the time but a phone does too - so what?  A small Chromebook in every room will be handy.
When I use Hangouts I can dial a US number and a little pop up says "This call is free".  Google gave me a 10 cents credit when I signed up with them 3 years ago - I guess for International calls.  Is this all going away on May 15th?