News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Started by AntonS, October 31, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gderf

You can get a free NYC area DID from CallCentric http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

Just tell them you are not using it within the US or Canada or they will beat you up for a 911 monthly fee.

My OBi200 has a wizard for CallCentric setup. If your OBi doesn't you'll have to put the info CallCentric provides in by hand using the 'Other' provider wizard.

Yes, it would go on SP2.

I don't have an OBi110, but I think there is only SP1 and SP2 on those. Your Google Voice and the free DID are going to use them both. So you can't add a third or fourth SP like I can on the OBi 200. If that's the case you could use CallCentric for both incoming and outgoing on the same SP2 slot so long as you are happy with their outgoing rates.

The other option would be to wait for a firesale on an OBi200 or other model that can do four SP slots. Something tells me the prices on these are going to drop real soon now. Keeping an eye on ebay could pay off.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

sdb-

Quote from: azrobert on November 01, 2013, 02:43:55 PM

Method 1: Sign in to GV and initiate a call. GV does a callback.

Method 2: Call your GV number. You get a GV prompt. You enter "2" and the outbound number. GV makes the call. No callback.

I have a PSTN line and can call my GV number for free and then make a free long distance call. If you only have a SIP provider and using method 2, you are getting charged for the call by your provider.

Yeah, so use method 1 with GV.  Awkward, but free!  Or use a cheap SIP provider and call direct.

Inspired by the instructions posted elsewhere to "get free CNAM with google voice" I set up a free account with Anveo.  I configured that account as SP2 in my OBi.  I went to IPKall and got a free DID and sent it to my free Anveo SIP address.  I went to google voice and added the IPKall number.  Google gave me a code, called the number, it rang the phone plugging into my OBi, I entered the 2-digit code google gave me, and google added the IPKall number as a forwarding option.  I selected to forward calls to that free IPKall number.

Now when someone calls my google number, it goes from google to IPKall to Anveo to my OBi to my phone.  All free.  And I get better caller ID than when my OBi got the google calls directly.

I can also (method 1) go to the google voice page, tell them to call a contact, they ring my IPKall number first, I answer, they call my contact.

All free.

Wilbour

Quote from: gderf on November 03, 2013, 04:04:12 PM
You can get a free NYC area DID from CallCentric http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

Just tell them you are not using it within the US or Canada or they will beat you up for a 911 monthly fee.

My OBi200 has a wizard for CallCentric setup. If your OBi doesn't you'll have to put the info CallCentric provides in by hand using the 'Other' provider wizard.

Yes, it would go on SP2.

I don't have an OBi110, but I think there is only SP1 and SP2 on those. Your Google Voice and the free DID are going to use them both. So you can't add a third or fourth SP like I can on the OBi 200. If that's the case you could use CallCentric for both incoming and outgoing on the same SP2 slot so long as you are happy with their outgoing rates.

Can you make outgoing calls with the free CallCentric DID in NY State? Are you billed for a user pay rate?

sdb-

Quote from: Wilbour on November 03, 2013, 08:54:00 PM
Can you make outgoing calls with the free CallCentric DID in NY State? Are you billed for a user pay rate?

No.

A Direct Inward Dialing number is not a phone line.  It is just an inbound access for people on the public telephone network to reach into your VoIP phone system.

SIP and VoIP in general has no "phone line" that does calls both in and out.  Just like buying phone service for a large business -- incoming lines and outgoing lines are totally separate.  You might need a lot of incoming and very few out.  Or you might need a lot of out and very few if any in.

You get a DID for incoming calls.  Depending on your service it can do 1 or many calls simultaneously.

If you want to make calls you need an account that will let you make outgoing calls.  Totally separate concept from incoming.

Most services will provide some way to set the caller ID information on outgoing calls.  But "setting" is all it is.  My account with localphone allows me to set my caller ID to the phone number of my centurylink phone line, or my google voice number, or my IPKall number or any number they can call and verify that it belongs to me.  My account with Anveo even allows me to set a caller ID with each contact in my contact list to automatically use my preferred caller ID for each one.

J_R_

The 2 links I provided indicate Google is replacing XMPP used in Google Voice with HTML5 and WebRTC for Hangouts.

Reading these links, one can infer that a firmware update will allow your OBi box to work with Hangouts (assuming the OBi has the cpu power and/or memory needed to do this).

http://blog.obihai.com/2012/11/obihai-and-webrtc-future-is-calling.html
http://www.pcphonesoft.com/gvjackapp-unaffected-by-xmpp-retirement-May-2014.html

Not sure why pcphonesoft can tell us we will work with GV after XMPP Retirement May 2014, and Obihai will not or cannot (may require newer, better, faster hardware?, NDA?).

I really don't think obi is going to let this cash cow die.

NOTE: Fixed links, they worked when I wrote this, broke when I pasted from Howard Forums.

sdb-

Quote from: J_R_ on November 04, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
The 2 links I provided indicate Google is replacing XMPP used in Google Voice with HTML5 and WebRTC for Hangouts. ...
Not sure why pcphonesoft can tell us we will work with GV after XMPP Retirement May 2014, and Obihai will not or cannot (may require newer, better, faster hardware?).

Of course if the hardware is capable, a firmware update could work.

But Google has said Voice with continue with Hangouts, and Obihai says their device won't.

Quote from: Obihai
Unfortunately, you will no longer be able to use the Google Voice communication service to make calls using the phone connected to your OBi device.  Also, the ability to receive calls to your Google Voice number, directly from Google's service, will not be possible. 

Whether that is because the hardware can't do it, or Obihai does not want to do it, or Google will not allow them to do it is irrelevant.  About all we can hope for on that front is that the statement indicates a starting position and might change.  But hope is not a plan.

Ansextra

I am honestly more interested in keeping my GV number and using it with a regular phone handset than anything else.
Right now I'm tending towards localphone as an alternative since I need to use the phone to dial out.  They have the $5/month subscription that seems to fit my needs if I'm understanding it correctly.  I'm not changing anything yet as I'm still waiting to see what Google actually offers (but am not hopeful).

gderf

I'm not sure I understand their service, the United States 5000 plan which is 5000 minutes for $5.00. What does this mean, cut from the site? How does your OBi play with that? Also, are there any taxes or other fees with that plan?

------------------------------------
Important information

This service requires you to dial a local landline number, that means you may also pay your phone provider local charges. If you get free landline calls you only pay our cheap international rates.

Ansextra

I'm not sure why a local landline is needed.  That's a bit confusing to me.  I'd like to set up the 5000 minute service on my VOIP phone that I'm currently using with my Obi.

gderf

My guess is that you can't initiate any actual calls yourself but have to dial in to the local number and get a callback, like you do when dialing a number from the GV web page.

I think they offer to let you make a free call before signing up. If so, I'd try it first before paying them.

mo832

Someone please tell me what I am missing here with the following proposal:

Since most people seem to be using an Obi in order to use GV with a standard phone device, and not have to pay to have a separate phone line (instead using the Obi box as your "phone line" with Google Chat)... and since this service appears to be going away... and since people are trying to find a way to use Google number with an alternate phone provider with as few changes as possible, and trying to keep in cheap....

And since all the alternatives involve a small fee and/or a bunch of gyrations and piecemeal actions (on the order of a few bucks a month and different services for incoming/outgoing/local numbers)...

What is wrong with keeping Google Voice as a forwarding service, and ditching the Obi altogether since it cannot work *directly* with GV. Since you would *still* need to have an additional service to place on the Obi box, why not purchase a NetTalk box and forward the GV number to that instead? They give you a local phone number, you can make incoming and outgoing calls with no per-minute charges on either end, they have 911 included, and it's only $30 per year (after initial hardware purchase), which is 2.50 per month, flat rate unlimited?

I mean, if you're going to need all these features anyway and some of them involve similar or higher charges, why not get them all in one place for a simple fee, and have access to paid customer service to boot??

Aside from having to retire the obi box and losing whatever it cost, what is wrong with the above argument? Isn't that the same as ditching one wireless provider for another with better rates and having to purchase a new phone upfront?

Am I missing something?

gderf

Yes you are missing something.

You may not have missed this part, but incoming GV calls can still be received on the OBi in a completely transparent manner, both today and after May 15, 2014. All you need to do is get a free DID number, add it to your GV account as a forwarding number, and configure an SP in your OBi to use it. If you do this, then today when someone calls your GV number, your OBi will ring on the SP you used to configure GV on. Post May 15, 2014 when GV disables XMPP, calls to your GV voice number will ring on your OBi on the SP you used to configure the free DID. If you want to start using the free DID today, then unselect Google Chat as a forward in your GV account. I have already done this because the free DID I have requires some minimal amount of traffic on it or the number will be taken back and given to someone else. This covers the post May 15, 2014 situation for continued use of your OBi for inbound calls to your GV number.

As for making free outbound calls with your GV number and your OBi post May 15, 2014, this is a bit more complicated. Since the OBi will no longer work directly to initiate such a call, you can't just pick up an attached phone and dial like you can today. One way to make this happen is to use your web browser which is signed into your GV account and press the call button. Next you type in the number you wish to call, and select your free DID number for the "Phone to call with." Then press the Connect button. The phone attached to your OBi will ring. When you pick it up your call will be completed shortly thereafter. Yes this a kludge. But it works, will continue to work, remains free, and lets you keep making calls with your OBi and its attached phone.

It's up to you to decide if using the web page to dial your calls is acceptable or not. If it isn't you can start looking around for a VoIP service provider that satisfies your needs. I gave CallWithUs $5.00 to play with for now just to see how well it works. The calls are currently priced at just under one penny per minute, there are no taxes or fees associated with opening an account, and your money never expires if you don't make calls.

Good luck.

SteveInWA

Quote from: carl on October 31, 2013, 07:15:31 PM
Quote from: AntonS on October 31, 2013, 07:03:30 PM
I was planning on doing what is said below. Which SIP provider of Anveo, Callcentric or VOIPms allows spoofing caller ID's?

None. But Localphone let's you set as caller ID any phone number you register with them, it could be your cell phone, your GV number, other SIP provider's number or whatever else.

RE. CID spoofing:  wrong.  Callcentric, for example, allows the user to spoof the caller ID of any phone number that the user legitimately controls.  This is accomplished by calling Callcentric's toll-free verification number via your desired phone number, and then opening a support ticket with them.  They go look at their TFN's call log, which shows your caller ID placed the call, and then they happily add it to your account as a number you can use for outbound CID.

I am not sure why you keep pushing Localphone, unless you are battling the "my service is cheaper than your service" war.  Simply setting the OBi up with Callcentric, as I described, and as used by many other posters on this forum, will solve the Google Voice conundrum, with reliable service, very little techno-futzing, and, if you wish, E-911 and all the other features CC and GV support.  Yes, it costs some small amount of money.  The free ride with GV calling can still be accomplished by setting up the bridged inbound call with the click-to-call button, too, if you want free outbound calls.  But as has been stated, people can decide if it's worth the hassle, or just pay the $.018/minute or pay a monthly bucket rate, for outbound calls and be done with it.

mo832

Quote from: gderf on November 04, 2013, 05:57:47 PM
Yes you are missing something.

You may not have missed this part, but incoming GV calls can still be received on the OBi in a completely transparent manner, both today and after May 15, 2014.

yes, I followed this part

It's up to you to decide if using the web page to dial your calls is acceptable or not. If it isn't you can start looking around for a VoIP service provider that satisfies your needs. I gave CallWithUs $5.00 to play with for now just to see how well it works. The calls are currently priced at just under one penny per minute, there are no taxes or fees associated with opening an account, and your money never expires if you don't make calls.

And THIS is what I was asking about. In other words, once one decides that they want an internet phone with seamless functionality with a standard phone and not having to worry about juggling several services and time charges, and having to spend a small amount of money for whatever service they choose, there seems to be no longer a reason to use the OBI box if other boxes can do it all in one with a unified account and a unified fee for all services. If you only need it as an "extra" phone and use very little minutes, I could see the point. But if you use it as a landline replacement, which I think many ppl do, then $30 a year to set it and forget it seems as cheap as any of the other services. Correct?

Good luck.

Thanks for responding.

carl

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 04, 2013, 06:27:01 PM

I am not sure why you keep pushing Localphone, unless you are battling the "my service is cheaper than your service" war. 
Not "battling a war" however, since I use both Localphone and Callcentric I am pretty much aware of the pricing and CC is relatively expensive. People who went with Google voice want something less pricey and here comes LP indeed. LP has the best price/performance ratio of any provider i am aware of.No doubt it does not provide CC's fancy, but that's not what most GV users are looking for.

sdb-

Quote from: gderf on November 04, 2013, 11:49:13 AM
I'm not sure I understand their service, the United States 5000 plan which is 5000 minutes for $5.00. What does this mean, cut from the site? How does your OBi play with that? Also, are there any taxes or other fees with that plan?

Important information

This service requires you to dial a local landline number, that means you may also pay your phone provider local charges. If you get free landline calls you only pay our cheap international rates.

That is like a calling card.  OBi "plays" with internet calling, not that.

Localphone can be used like a calling card (e.g. call in to a local number, bounce your call to another number somewhere else at the localphone low rate instead of the normal long-distance rate).  That is what your snip is describing.

Localphone can be used to make or receive calls from your computer like google voice + chat.

It can be used to rent a phone number near family or friends so they can call it locally, and it will forward to and ring your phone so you pay for the call (at localphone rates) instead of your family or friends.

It can also be used like any other SIP VoIP provider, which is where the OBi comes in.

Probably it can be used in other ways, but that is what I remember.

I'm just getting started with Localphone, but they appear to fully disclose the cost, so it appears you get 5000 minutes (those are US48 minutes, if I remember correctly) with no other taxes or fees.

How you use those minutes might have additional cost, but I expect I could use all 5000 to make outgoing calls with my OBi.  If I wanted a DID on the other side of the country which would forward to my home phone number, I would expect to pay for that DID plus pay for the 5000, and then calls into that DID would use those 5000 minutes as would outgoing calls from my OBi.

But like I said, I'm just getting started...

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Crow550 on November 04, 2013, 11:43:54 PM
GVJack is future ready: http://www.pcphonesoft.com/gvjackapp-unaffected-by-xmpp-retirement-may-2014.html
I don't see how this is considered future ready when it must be run in a browser, i.e., to make use of it with GV you must have an 'always on' PC with an 'always open' browser.

If you're going to have a browser open all the time, why not just use GV in Hangouts or directly from GMail.

mo832

I didn't use the quote feature correctly and it looks like I hid my own quote in the shaded box, so I'm re-posting it here. Refer to the original a few entries above:

"And THIS is what I was asking about. In other words, once one decides that they want an internet phone with seamless functionality with a standard phone and not having to worry about juggling several services and time charges, and having to spend a small amount of money for whatever service they choose, there seems to be no longer a reason to use the OBI box if other boxes can do it all in one with a unified account and a unified fee for all services. If you only need it as an "extra" phone and use very little minutes, I could see the point. But if you use it as a landline replacement, which I think many ppl do, then $30 a year to set it and forget it seems as cheap as any of the other services. Correct?"

---

Another way of saying this is- once you've already had to sign up for another account with a SIP provider, since you are already paying the $1.50 for 911, what's so bad about paying an additional 1 dollar (making it 2.50 a month or 30/yr) and knowing that everything is already taken care of? In one all-inclusive service, you now don't worry about nickel and dime charges for every little thing, your incoming and outgoing are in the same place, you have live cust service etc. Unless that extra $1.00 sounds like a huge increase from the multiple 1c and 7c charges you are sure to have with the other services, or you really like paying 5.95 for "5000" minutes, instead of 2.50 for flat-fee.

Again, what am I missing?? I realize 100% free is a no-brainer, even compared to super cheap. But once you start paying even a small charge, it's almost no difference between "super cheap" and "really cheap", especially when there is a HUGE difference in convenience.

If there is a flaw in my logic, or I forgot about other hidden charges or factors, please point it out. Other than this, it may be just a personal preference thing. (Still, comparing straight dollar-for-dollar, I think there is no objective advantage to the cobbled-together setup with OBi and multiple providers).

QBZappy

There are many casualties as a result of GV enforcing their TOS. Here is a 3rd party app confirming that Google is actively behind this. I don't understand why the obihai blog was not as transparent. It looks like MetroTalk got their letter earlier than obihai, since obihai has until May 15, 2014.

http://winsource.com/2013/11/04/google-voice-for-windows-phone-shutting-down-metrotalk/

"We are sad to announce that after a request by Google, MetroTalk will be removed from the Windows Phone store on May 1, 2014. We apologize to all our users for this but the decision is beyond our control, and in fact affects all third-party Google Voice apps. The good news is that the app will remain available and fully functional for 6 more months, and you can expect bug fix updates during that time. A huge thank you to all of our users for making us one of the top downloaded and highest rated apps of the Windows Phone store. Once again, we truly apologize to everyone affected by this."

I am speculating that obihai may have plans to do a mass provisioning exercise on the units on May 15, 2014 to remove the GV code in the firmware. Any units configured to be provisioned by the OBiTALK service will be affected. This reminds me of the last time obihai surprised everyone after they mass provisioned all the units. A casualty of the last mass provisioning effort was the loss of RonR as a contributor. Removing the GV code would make a lot of sense since it frees up valuable space for other features in the embedded firmware. I'm hoping obihai adds an open VPN client to replace the GV code.

This looks like an opportunity to make another round of feature requests and suggest your own.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.