News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Started by AntonS, October 31, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lavarock7

Voip.Ms has cheap calling and can spoof any caller-id, unlike some others who requite that you actually own the number you want to spoof to. I used to spoof to a number held by Sipgate.

Currently porting to Voip.Ms is free in the US and most numbers then would cost 99 cents a month to be held there.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

ProfTech

I agree with QBZappy. I played around with Google Voice when I first got the Obi but the old adage "You get what you pay for" applies here. I have tried several SIP providers with varying results. LocalPhone was one of them but I believe CallWithUs gives the light user more bang for your buck and better call quality and reliability. For ease of setup CallCentric is very good. YMMV

For what it is worth, the Obi 110 can spoof a caller ID but Callcentric will not accept the call the way the Obi does it.

mo832

Since it isn't clear which thread is most related, I would like to post  the same question in here. The link is below:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.msg43399#msg43399

I would appreciate anyone's additional comments. Please read the responses and the followup questions.

Thanks in advance.

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on November 05, 2013, 07:23:35 AM

This looks like an opportunity to make another round of feature requests and suggest your own.

Isn't Obihai embracing WebRTC?

Koby

Quote from: carl on November 01, 2013, 10:19:30 AM
http://tech.iprock.com/?p=9784
For asterisk/freepbx users the old way

It seems to me that if that works, anyone could get a Raspberry Pi and then install Asterisk for Raspberry Pi and run their Obihai device as an extension off of that.  Asterisk would be the "Service Provider" in that case.  Then, assuming free DIDs are still available, you could bring in your free DID on an Asterisk trunk, and use the older method shown at that link to initiate a call.

What I can tell you about that method shown at that link is that it does not use XMPP.  I can't say for sure, but it appears that it emulates you going to your Google Voice page and entering the number you want to call in the callback box.  Then Asterisk waits for the incoming Google Voice call, and when it comes in it connects it to you.  You don't hang up the phone after dialing, you just wait for Asterisk to connect the incoming call on your DID back to you.  As far as you're is concerned, it appears to work the way it does now, except that it takes a little longer for ringing to begin.  As far as Google is concerned, it's just you entering a number and asking to be called back, and then the call completed to that number.  The fact that you are entering that number from your phone's keypad rather than your computer's keyboard or your tablet's touchscreen shouldn't make any difference in the way it works.

Google could shut this functionality off at any time if they don't want people using it, but my guess is that so few users will go through the bother of setting up an Asterisk server for this type of usage that it won't impact them significantly.  At least for now, that option is very likely still available.  But if Obihai were to build this functionality into their devices, that might cause enough additional usage that it would compel Google to turn off that callback feature.  Remember, whenever you use that callback feature, Google is making two calls, one to you and one to the party you are calling. So if every Obihai user started doing that, their costs might take a sudden jump.  But that would also happen if large numbers of Obihai users start going to their web site to initiate callbacks.

Not something to even worry about until it gets a lot closer to May, though.

ja_ys

Quote from: gderf on November 04, 2013, 05:57:47 PM
Yes you are missing something.

You may not have missed this part, but incoming GV calls can still be received on the OBi in a completely transparent manner, both today and after May 15, 2014. All you need to do is get a free DID number, add it to your GV account as a forwarding number, and configure an SP in your OBi to use it. If you do this, then today when someone calls your GV number, your OBi will ring on the SP you used to configure GV on. Post May 15, 2014 when GV disables XMPP, calls to your GV voice number will ring on your OBi on the SP you used to configure the free DID. If you want to start using the free DID today, then unselect Google Chat as a forward in your GV account. I have already done this because the free DID I have requires some minimal amount of traffic on it or the number will be taken back and given to someone else. This covers the post May 15, 2014 situation for continued use of your OBi for inbound calls to your GV number.

As for making free outbound calls with your GV number and your OBi post May 15, 2014, this is a bit more complicated. Since the OBi will no longer work directly to initiate such a call, you can't just pick up an attached phone and dial like you can today. One way to make this happen is to use your web browser which is signed into your GV account and press the call button. Next you type in the number you wish to call, and select your free DID number for the "Phone to call with." Then press the Connect button. The phone attached to your OBi will ring. When you pick it up your call will be completed shortly thereafter. Yes this a kludge. But it works, will continue to work, remains free, and lets you keep making calls with your OBi and its attached phone.

It's up to you to decide if using the web page to dial your calls is acceptable or not. If it isn't you can start looking around for a VoIP service provider that satisfies your needs. I gave CallWithUs $5.00 to play with for now just to see how well it works. The calls are currently priced at just under one penny per minute, there are no taxes or fees associated with opening an account, and your money never expires if you don't make calls.

Good luck.
Of all the info I read here so far this seems the easiest for me to comprehend doing at least for now  8)!

gderf

Further info regarding the web browser usage for continued free outbound calls.

I use the google Chrome browser. My GV account is one I created just for calls so it's not all cluttered up with unrelated things. In it I have created a Contact list that just has the names and phone numbers of those I call frequently. I also added the Google Voice plugin extension.

When I bring my contact list up, I see the names and associated telephone numbers. All I have to do is left click on a number and a Call box pops up. Then I select the phone to make the call with - I select my DID from the drop down list and hit the Connect button. My phone rings, I pick it up, and my call is completed.

Once the browser is open and on my GV page, dialing calls this way is just as fast as speed dialing from the handset. If I need to make a call to a number I don't have in my Contacts list, I can type it into the box that pops up when I click on the GV icon in the browser extension panel and type the numbers in, select my DID and then Connect.

If I don't have my GV page open to the Contact list I can click on the GV icon and type a single letter of the name I want to call. All Contacts that have that letter in it will be displayed, I just select the one I want. Or I can type in a second to filter the list more.

It all sounds more complicated than it really is and you can set it up and try it now - no need to wait until next May.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

mo832

The more time I've had to think about this and have it "sink in", the more I understand it.

But still, a simple way to think of my argument is this:

1. If you are willing to tinker a little bit, you can keep 100% free calling using the discussed methods and change some settings and practices to adjust to the changes, and you will not really notice much difference once it's done.

2. If you are not willing to tinker, or if you have to tinker **AND** pay a few bucks a month, *** AND *** have 2-3 separate accounts for incoming/outgoing, *** AND *** have to figure the best svc providers for local calls, outgoing calls, ld calls, and calculate whether it's better to pay 1/2c per min or 2c per min, or buy 5000 mins for $10, AT THAT POINT, , it becomes a no-brainer to just go with the NetTalk for a simple 2.50/month fee and be done with it. This would also give you a real company and real customer service if you need help.

This also is true if we reach a point that the free options are not offered anymore.

Of course, #2 above assumes you are intending your phone to be a landline replacement, or expect to use it a decent amount. If it's just for occasional use, it's still better to just pay for a few minutes at a time, (provided there's no monthly service charge too).

JCat

Guys, please bear with me.  I'm no idiot, but this stuff just ain't in my wheelhouse....

I'm the latest adopter in the world--I just got my OBi100 from Amazon (unopened) at the end of October to replace landline (I've been getting AT&T Voip via a promotional deal, but the deal is running out).  I had researched enough to know the GV "free calls gravy train" would probably end soon, but I figured they would just start charging a small amt rather that bagging it completely.  I had planned to set up a GV acct (I don't even have that yet) and get crackin'....Then I see the announcement re May 2014.....Uh, yeah.

I just want to be able to pick up my phone and make/receive calls.  I don't mind tinkering a bit, but keep in mind that I didn't even know what DID, etc meant until I read this thread.  Free is great, but I don't mind paying a small cost.  My use tends to be schizophrenic:  some months I'll make/receive lots of calls, other months, not so much.

So my Q--since I'm completely new to this, should I just return the OBi100 and go with another option?  Or keep it , set it up with GV and then do something else in May '14?

I swear I'm not as clueless as I sound, but do reply as if you're talking to a 10 year old.....Thanks. 

dircom

my 2 cents ::)
I suggest use it as long as it works, then sometime between the Ides of March and April fools day see if anything has changed
by that time we will all know if there is a preferred solution or good work around
In the meantime, you can set up a free CallCentric DID, fwd your GV calls to that
setup your Obi to receive the Callcentric calls, and make outgoing on your GV

Wilbour

I agree with Dircom, this is a decent device and it is not locked to any particular provider.
There is a bit of a learning curve but it does come together eventually. There are countless tutorials on how to set up your OBi100. I for one don't understand what I am doing but just follow the tutorials. I understand what I need to at the time on a need to know basis. I don't understand 90% of the stuff found here but have been able to create a seamless system of POTS and GV to the point that my wife does not even notice how our service has changed (except when we get the $0 longdistance bill).

bonita

I love my OBI100 and will continue to use it in the future.

I am very disappointed with Google and its decisions lately - first Chromecast and now Google Voice. I will be extremely wary of using them and their services/products in the future. Eventually, I may get rid of Google Voice.

Having said that, I have been using a OBI100 with Google Voice for about 4 months now and have been extremely happy with the service. I ported my landline from Vonage over to Google Voice and use it to make all my long distance and international calls. I've been using a Callcentric DID for my incoming calls. I pay Callcentric $1.50 monthly and get incoming U.S. number CNAM and E911 service.

Many thanks in part to user 'gderf' and other forum members, I have been experimenting a little over the last few days, this is what has been working for me and will hopefully continue to work after May 15:
1) continue using the Callcentric DID with my OBI100 for all my incoming calls
2) For outgoing calls use from a choice of the following:
  a) Chrome browser - use the callback feature with the Callcentric DID
  b) Google Voice app on my iPod Touch - use the callback feature.
  c) Google Voice app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab - use the callback feature.

JCat

Thank you to dircom, wilbour, bonita (and gderf & maybe others upthread) for all your help.  I'm leaning to keeping the OBi, keeping tabs between now and May and going from there.

Again, thanks so much for breaking it down for me.  If anybody else any thoughts, keep it coming....

AntonS

Quote from: bonita on November 08, 2013, 04:30:30 PM

b) Google Voice app on my iPod Touch - use the callback feature.

Why not use the new Hangout App on the iPod Touch. You can call directly using Google Voice, no need for any callback. Moreover you can receive calls to your GV number when you are connected to Wifi.

mo832

Quote from: JCat on November 08, 2013, 05:48:38 PM
Thank you to dircom, wilbour, bonita (and gderf & maybe others upthread) for all your help.  I'm leaning to keeping the OBi, keeping tabs between now and May and going from there.

Again, thanks so much for breaking it down for me.  If anybody else any thoughts, keep it coming....

Ok, I'm going to cast a dissenting vote. Since you said you want to just "pick up the phone and dial", and you want to keep it simple, and you have the unique opportunity to get a refund (most of us have owned the Obi for a while), I say you apply that same money to a NetTalk device instead, which doesnt rely on Google Voice at all (but you can still use it to manage your numbers), and this purchase will cover your first full YEAR of unlimited calling with no worries. Then, if you want to renew it will only be $30/yr, and if you don't want to renew, and you switch to an OBI at that time, you can probably get a fire-sale price since they may have lost their biggest selling point. You can ALWAYS buy an OBi in the future, but you can't always return one for a full refund except when the purchase is fresh.

Just my two cents :)

sunmercury

May be one thing you missed is reading amazon review on nettalk, with 243 one star review out of 625 ...http://www.amazon.com/Nettalk-Duo-VOIP-Telephone-Service/dp/B0045S2JE8

giqcass

Since the OBi can do so many things I would just keep it.  If you don't want to tinker later then just sign up with any of the cheap VOIP providers available that spoof caller ID. You could pick a plan with a big bucket of minutes or If your calling is sporadic you can use a pay as you go plan for as little as 1/2 a cent per minute outgoing. Either way you will be able to keep free incoming calls through Google Voice after the cut off. The second best thing about an Obi after the free Google Voice calling is all of the options it gives you.  Buy nettalk and you have a paperweight if you don't like it.
Long live our new ObiLords!

cluckercreek

I have a NetTalk Duo on my Obi 110 and it works great. I even use it over satellite. I have found that most complaints with the NT is owner error when setting up their routers. Now their customer service is a different story.

Rosemot

I have a nettalk TK6000 first generation with my OBI 110 wired the whole house with minimal problem . I agree 99.9 % that most of the complaint with the NT are owners error settings.

giqcass

I never used Nettalk but I'm willing to believe operator error is the most common form.  Like they say: You can lead a man to instructions but you can't make him read.  We don't ask for directions either!  8)
Long live our new ObiLords!