News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Started by AntonS, October 31, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gderf

You can get a free unlimited NYC area DID with CallCentric and pay the E911 fee which I think is $1.50 per month plus some tax perhaps.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

sdb-

Or you could get a totally free DID in western Washington with IPKall.  But that forwards to SIP.

So then you get a free account with Anveo.  With them you have a free choice for incoming SIP, or you can choose to run incoming SIP thru their call treatments and pay correspondingly.

Configure Anveo as SP2.  Get a DID from IPKall, forward it to Anveo.  Forward your google voice to the IPKall DID.

Configure Localphone as SP1.  Either pay by the minute or pick one of their subscription plans for outgoing calls.  (E.g. $5/month gives 5000 minutes for US48, so 0.1cents/minute.)  Configure Localphone to use your google voice number for your CID.

Now you have free incoming and cheap outgoing.  You can still use GV callback for free outgoing.

Want E911?  Add it at Anveo for $0.80 per month.  (They won't complete your outgoing calls without it.)

Want backup for Localphone, or you want to use Anveo to call Canada because it is cheaper than Localphone?  First add E911 to Anveo as per above, then you can make calls using **2 (Anveo) or normal/**1 (Localphone).

Too complicated?  Pay more:

Configure Anveo as your only SP.  Add E911 ($0.80/month).  Add Personal Unlimited DID ($2/month).  Outgoing calls are at per-minute rates.

Still too complicated or use more than 1700 minutes outgoing per month?  Pay even more:

Configure Callcentric as your only SP.  Pay $20/month.

Want to save money?  Start adding complexity.

The OBi gives you choices and you can change your mind at any time.  If you buy a provider in a box they don't add to your choices.

Vonage?  No choice.
MagicJack?  No choice.
Ooma?  No choice.

mo832

I would still like to have a better understanding of how gateways work, and where you find one, especially one that does not require registration.

sdb-

Quote from: mo832 on November 14, 2013, 08:54:02 PM
I would still like to have a better understanding of how gateways work, and where you find one, especially one that does not require registration.

The "gateway" is a setup on the OBi, much like Service Provider 1 (SP1) and SP2.

In a gateway you can configure a service provider which does not require registration.

Best step-by-step I've found:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0

Others I found helpful:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1063.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2158.0

GalaxyS4

Such a disappointment. I wish OBiTalk can come out with a way to implement a Google Hangout login. My mother likes to use the cordless phone to call out right away to states as we are from Canada.

I wish there's an alternate method with the same set up right now I have.

mo832

With 6 months to go, here's hoping we eventually get one or both of the following possibilities, in order of preference.

1. Obihai comes up with a firmware upgrade that will allow the existing boxes to work with Google Hangouts.

2. Obihai introduces new models of their devices that are designed expressly to work with Hangouts in a manner virtually the same as the current equipment behaves.

I don't understand the technicalities, but it seems like either choice would be feasible if the desire is there.

Time will tell...

gderf

One can always hope. The larger problem with anything along these lines is what Google thinks about how it does or does not fit within their TOS.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

mo832

Quote from: gderf on November 15, 2013, 11:51:26 AM
One can always hope. The larger problem with anything along these lines is what Google thinks about how it does or does not fit within their TOS.

Very true. I was thinking that myself. That's where the "desire" part comes in, which also includes Google.

But we can also hope that if for some reason Google doesn't like the idea, they might come up with their own device ala chromecast or something like that for phone functions.

carl

Quote from: mo832 on November 15, 2013, 10:16:28 AM
With 6 months to go, here's hoping we eventually get one or both of the following possibilities, in order of preference.

1. Obihai comes up with a firmware upgrade that will allow the existing boxes to work with Google Hangouts.

2. Obihai introduces new models of their devices that are designed expressly to work with Hangouts in a manner virtually the same as the current equipment behaves.

I don't understand the technicalities, but it seems like either choice would be feasible if the desire is there.

Time will tell...

Not happening.Obi made it very clear that they would not go into hangouts and that may 14th is the last day with Google. I guess they do not want to get sued.

Usetheforceobiwan

Quote from: carl on November 15, 2013, 04:37:20 PM
Not happening.Obi made it very clear that they would not go into hangouts and that may 14th is the last day with Google. I guess they do not want to get sued.

I am not sure that Google can lock third party access to GV after XMPP support is removed.  From the reading I have done about WEBRTC, it's an open standard that Google and others are pushing to allow application independent (i.e. web browser accessible) communications which include chat, audio and video.  This could impact other communication platforms, Skype included.  Seems to me that if you come up with a device which simulates a WEBRTC enabled web browser and give it a means to connect to a sip portal, you are not technically violating the GV TOS.  What suggested this to me was the WEBRTC button at obitalk.com you can now use to call into your OBi via the OBitalk network to reach the AA and dial out.  

DrewMan

When I asked Obi Support for some advice on how to configure this post 5/14... this is the response I got.  Wonder what they are working on.

"For the time being, there is no need to rush to sign up for a SIP account.
Obihai is working on providing an easy migration path that would let you continue using Google Voice service.

Please wait for further message/announcement from us in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, your OBi continues to work with GV as it is now.

Regards,
Obihai Technology
"

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

fuzzyeddie

Quote from: Ansextra on November 13, 2013, 07:18:28 PM
I've given up on GV.  I just got an account with Voipo.  $185 for the first 2 years, unlimited calling in NAM and 1 hour / month calling to specific countries.  Customer service is great!  I just put in an app to transfer my Vonage home line to them as well.
I can also use my Obi100 with them as well if I want so it won't go to waste...
Even after the price goes up in 2 years to approx. $15/month it's still a great deal for everything I get.  WAY more features than GV in my opinion. 

After looking at all the obi options, I'm agreeing with you. A great deal!

Does anyone know if Voipo still allows Caller ID spoofing? I'd like to use Google Voice's voicemail and number, and I see Voipo was testing a service where, after confirmed, you could change the caller id number on outgoing calls.
Now that Google Voice will no longer work with your Obi device, sign up for Vestalink! Cheap, unlimited plans: http://www.vestalink.com/#_l_7t

Ansextra

I could be mistaken but I don't believe you can change the outgoing number as it defaults to phone number/City-State just like GV.  BUT...you CAN request your name to show up.  I was thinking about porting my GV number and then just decided that I'll just wait until my name shows up on outgoing caller ID and tell people I've changed numbers.  I've also requested SMS be added to my VOIPo line so I'll see how that works as well.  I'm hoping I can text from Csipsimple on my Android phone once the functionality is added.  Then I'll have everything I need.

RFC3261

Quote from: DrewMan on November 18, 2013, 07:41:11 AM
When I asked Obi Support for some advice on how to configure this post 5/14... this is the response I got.  Wonder what they are working on.

"For the time being, there is no need to rush to sign up for a SIP account.
Obihai is working on providing an easy migration path that would let you continue using Google Voice service.

Please wait for further message/announcement from us in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, your OBi continues to work with GV as it is now.

Regards,
Obihai Technology
"

Obihai made a blog post about a year ago touting WebRTC as the "next big thing in cloud communications", and saying their engineers had been working to enhance the existing firmware for WebRTC compatibility.  Google has also announced that Hangouts would work with WebRTC "real soon now".  It seems like there may be a convergence in plans and schedules (or not, schedules are everything).  A number of the open source pbx solutions have WebRTC modules, and they too would like like to be able to use WebRTC to continue to work with GV/Hangouts.

7Priest7

I sincerely hope obihai will decide to maintain Google voice capabilities.

I already owned a SIP device before I bought this,
if obihai decides to allow the Google voice abilities to be lost, it will effectively ruin the main reason many people bought obi devices.

As a company obihai will never recover if they choose to not adapt their tech to new standards.

Ostracus

Quote from: 7Priest7 on November 18, 2013, 09:33:43 PM
I sincerely hope obihai will decide to maintain Google voice capabilities.

I already owned a SIP device before I bought this,
if obihai decides to allow the Google voice abilities to be lost, it will effectively ruin the main reason many people bought obi devices.

As a company obihai will never recover if they choose to not adapt their tech to new standards.

Oh I wouldn't say that. Remember this is the team that helped launch the VoIP revolution. I rather doubt Obihas continued existence rests on if Google sneezes or not.

drgeoff

Quote from: RFC3261 on November 18, 2013, 11:08:09 AM
Obihai made a blog post about a year ago touting WebRTC as the "next big thing in cloud communications", and saying their engineers had been working to enhance the existing firmware for WebRTC compatibility.  Google has also announced that Hangouts would work with WebRTC "real soon now".  It seems like there may be a convergence in plans and schedules (or not, schedules are everything).  A number of the open source pbx solutions have WebRTC modules, and they too would like like to be able to use WebRTC to continue to work with GV/Hangouts.
I wonder if OBi's 200 and 300 series devices already support WebRTC, at least to some extent.  The 'Call OBi' button on the OBi dashboard page uses WebRTC to call those devices.  But what about the 100 series devices which cannot be called from that button?  Would OBi contemplate a post May 2014 GV solution which didn't cover the OBi100 and OBi110 models?  Time will tell!

7Priest7

Quote from: Ostracus on November 19, 2013, 06:03:02 AM
Oh I wouldn't say that. Remember this is the team that helped launch the VoIP revolution. I rather doubt Obihas continued existence rests on if Google sneezes or not.
ObiHai has not done anything in way of revolution.
I bought this on 02/01/2011

I used callcentric back then in 2011.

Void the ability to use google voice nobody will buy obihai devices over devices from more reputable companies like linksys.

QBZappy

Quote from: 7Priest7 on November 18, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

I agree with this statement. A loss of GV functionality will directly impact their sales. If we need stats to to prove this, we don't have to go any further than analyze the posts on this board. What do you think is the number one viewed forum on this board. You have to wonder what makes this specific forum of interest to so many people. Obihai has an interest in keeping GV functionality in such a way that it delivers a user experience that people expect from their phones. This funky call back solution will not fly with some people. It certainly will not get the WAF in most households, I would think.

Number porting to GV - my experience (Current as at 2013.11.13 Views = 329637)
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1051.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.